• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

black rice

I had black rice last night!

It isn't used much in Japanese cooking, actually none of my Japanese friends had ever seen it before.

I use about 1 to 2 tablesppons of black rice per 180ml (rice cooker sized cup) of regular Japanese rice. Last night I used 1/2 cup black with 4 1/2 white. You can use any proportion you want, I have even seen rices calling for all black rice but 1 tablespoon per cup is enough to turn it all deep purple and give it a wonderful nutty flavor.

I serve it with all kinds of dishes, Korean or Japanese and actually last night it was the "base" for a cream stew.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I'm addicted to black rice from Sarawak (a state in East Malaysia). I have it everyday if I cook at home, steaming it 50/50 with white rice. Its fragrance is just like pulut hitam (black glutinous rice) but without its heaviness on the digestive system. Besides, it contributes extra fibre to your diet.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

• 2 weeks later...

I personally don't know all the ways to use black (wild) rice in Korean cooking, but I do know that my favorite rice combinations tend to have some black rice in there.

If I remember correctly, my co-worker made rice with black rice, brown rice, and a little sweet rice (chapsal is korean name) and it was really good. her technique is very good, I don't know how she does it.

Also, there's mixed grains rice which can have everything from beans to wilid rice, to barley mixed in with the Calrose rice. It seems to be all the rage in the restaurants around me (Orange County, California). I noticed a bunch of them recently starting to offer it.

I remember a restaurant in Seoul the last time I went that had this really interesting rice dish. It wasn't exactly mixed grains rice, but in retrospect, it probably was something similar. Light and airy, with distinct tender grains of rice and other stuff. Amazing. Can't wait to go back.

--I forgot, if you want to try mixed grains rice, you probably should ask for "japgokbab" (pronounced "jahp-goke-bahp").

Edited by jschyun (log)

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

Also, there's mixed grains rice which can have everything from beans to wild rice, to barley mixed in with the Calrose rice.

I love this mixed grain rice and use it often, the one I buy looks like this

gallery_6134_119_1102115033.jpg

and you mix it into your regular white rice, but it needs to be soaked for a couple hours before.

Wow, that looks beautiful! Does it look as good after it's cooked? Also, do you find that all the grains cook up the same way, or do some end up chewier than others?

Michael aka "Pan"

it looks and tastes great!

The black rice is a bit more like mochi rice, so it has a slight stickness/chewiness to it and the mung beans give a little bite.

I can easily make a meal out of that rice and some pickles. :biggrin:

I will post a picture of the finished dish next time I make it.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I have enjoyed Forbidden Black Rice from Lotus Foods at $3.99/15 ounces. Yesterday I was in my local Asian food store and saw Black Rice (Gao Den) for $6.99/4 pounds! Whoa? Could this be the same stuff? The wikipedia entry for black rice seems to imply there are more than one kind of Black Rice. If I buy Gao Den, will it be the same as the Lotus Brand stuff I love?

Edited by Meathead (log)

Remember: No rules in the bedroom or kitchen,

Craig "Meathead" Goldwyn

http://amazingribs.com - The Zen of Ribs

http://amazingribs.com/smoke_signals_newsletter - "Smoke Signals" BBQ Newsletter

I would have to admit that the only time I've seen black rice used in korean cooking is when a little portion of it is mixed with white rice and cooked. It gives a lovely lavender look to the white rice, and the black grains are distributed all over. I haven't detected any change in flavor. I'll ask my korean friends if there are more recipes that call for black rice.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos