• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Habaneros - What to do with this years crop?

FoodMan

I have one Habanero plant in the back yard and that thing has to be the most prolific thing I ever planted. This is what I picked a couple of days ago...

gallery_5404_94_1101099836.jpg

...and I have like three times that in the freezer.

I can never eat all that as is sliced on top of food and I am not going to make jerk seasoning with all of it. So what do you suggest I do? I am thinking some time of chili jam or a thick hot sauce maybe.

However any suggestions are welcome. So let's hear it.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I have one Habanero plant in the back yard and that thing has to be the most prolific thing I ever planted. This is what I picked a couple of days ago...

gallery_5404_94_1101099836.jpg

...and I have like three times that in the freezer.

I can never eat all that as is sliced on top of food and I am not going to make jerk seasoning with all of it. So what do you suggest I do? I am thinking some time of chili jam or a thick hot sauce maybe.

However any suggestions are welcome. So let's hear it.

Elie

do you cook with chilis often?

i use them in place of green chili or even dried red chili/cayenne pepper in whatever indian food i make.

but with that amount, i would probably dry some, as well as make hot sauce and a pepper jelly. (and jerk seasoning of course.)

what a gorgeous photo...my mouth is watering.

i love habaneros and summer fruit - peaches and nectarines...can you freeze some of them, or do they lose their heat?

i'd dry and grind some, make a sweet firey jam with honey and bell peppers, and maybe a couple of marinades...like an orange habenero barbeque sauce or a pineapple hab. marinade for grilled chicken.

ooh - make some pickles too!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Invest in a couple cases of beer (or bottles of wine if your friends swing that way) and invite the buddies over. Drink heavily until someone accepts your dare to eat the entire bowl, then be entertained when recollecting the experience thereafter.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Make your own hot sauce and give them out to friends as holiday stocking stuffers.

Remove the stems, slice the peppers in half and cook them in vinegar (don't breathe in the fumes!!!!) with some black pepper and a good amount of salt. After the peppers soften, throw the entire thing into a blender, puree. Taste. Add more salt and vinegar if needed. Optionally add a fruit component such as mango pulp, banana or citrus juice.

Put into botttles, add decorative label.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Invest in a couple cases of beer (or bottles of wine if your friends swing that way) and invite the buddies over.  Drink heavily until someone accepts your dare to eat the entire bowl, then be entertained when recollecting the experience thereafter.

I suppose it's an option. Do you think I should make them sign anything? you know I would not want to be charged with attempted homicide :shock: .

Actually I think a good hot sauce is the way I would go, like Jason suggested. It is tasty and lasts a good while. See, no one in my famlily would come near the stuff (so I cannot just use for cooking) so it is all mine, mine, mine..unless you folks would like a sample :smile:?

I am thinking about adding some orange juice/zest to the hot sauce. What kind of proportions of pepper to vinegar to salt to citrus am I looking for with long term storage in mind? Should I store in small mason jars or actual bottles?

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Salsas with fruit component are excellent as Jason suggested. One of my favs is golden Romas, sweet onion, nectarine and habanero. I call it Afterburner 'cause it goes in sweet and kicks you after your mouth is workin' on it. :shock::cool:

You can also do this with some of them for multi-use storage.

gallery_12550_164_1101241034.jpg

Just clean and pop off the stems, pack into a sterilized pint or quart jar for canning (this is a quart -- I also had pounds of them last year and didn't even grow them this year!). These are whole but I also halve them sometimes before I pack them. Then pour hot, salted (1 tsp salt/pint) vinegar/water (3:1) over them. Stash in pantry or fridge -- you can see by the condensation these were fridged. Then you can do about anything with them you would any other hot pepper. They keep their shape well like this and don't get mushy like they do by freezing them sometimes. Take out a couple, chop, add to dishes for a hit of hot/sour intensity, or to add whole or halved to a jar with other vegs/fruits to perk that right up! The handy habanero. :wub:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Actually I think a good hot sauce is the way I would go, like Jason suggested. It is tasty and lasts a good while. See, no one in my famlily would come near the stuff (so I cannot just use for cooking) so it is all mine, mine, mine..unless you folks would like a sample :smile:?

Elie

Where can we sign up? :wink:

Elie

Where can we sign up? :wink:

Well I have to make them first and make sure they came out ok, then we'll see how many I have to give away :smile:.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I am thinking about adding some orange juice/zest to the hot sauce. What kind of proportions of pepper to vinegar to salt to citrus am I looking for with long term storage in mind? Should I store in small mason jars or actual bottles?

Elie

Commercial hot sauces use a lot of salt. Tabasco actually packs peppers in salt for 3 years before blending them with vinegar.

to 2 cups of Chile I would add 1 tablespoon of salt.

Here is a basic primer:

http://www.davidscooking.com/recipes/hotsauce/hotsauce1.html

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Ok, right after the hot sauce, a habanero peach ice cream is on the list. It sounds great. Since fresh peaches are not available, I might have to use peach preseves though.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I cannot believe I forgot this, but I just remembered I made several jars of peach "syrup" this summer. I am positive I can use those in the ice cream or even some in the hot sauce.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

I am currently lusting for a sauce I heard of by Fischer Weister (sp?) that is mango/ginger/habernero. Supposedly it is now carried by Kroger but mine didn't have it. :sad: I am sure you could come up with something good out of that combo. (How could it possibly be bad?)

I had a dessert in Mexico that was to die for. You freeze ripe mango and put it in a blender. Blend adding sweetened condensed milk to taste. Add finely diced habernero. This was served with flamed really good tequila. You could probably come up with s ome sort of ice cream out of that.

Beware... Some peppers get hotter when stored in the freezer in something with fat in it. I have no idea why, other than the capsaicin continues to diffuse out into the creamy base.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Use all of them to make one batch of Habañero sorbet.

And one would serve this to, um, cleanse their palate?? :blink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Habanero plants are certainly prolific. A while back I got a sixpack of seedlings through a mail order company which eventually resulted in a bumper crop of the little devils. No matter how creative I got I just couldn't make a dent in them; realistically you're only using a few at a time. I wound up making hot sauce, lots of hot sauce (I tried to duplicate Melinda's, and added carrots to the works.) That winter my friends and I enjoyed Habenero Buffalo Wings almost every weekend.

Other ideas:

Habenero Pumpkin Nut Cookies

...or even Muffins ( I gave these away as Christmas gifts to friends- nothing says you care more than inedible cakes :laugh: )

Habenero/ Radish Salsa (or Salpicion)

Simple- just finely diced radishes and habeneros marinated in OJ, with maybe some scallion tops. Herbs (cilantro...) and spices (cumin...) could also be added. Accompanies grilled, well.., anything- shrimp, pork, etc.

If you have access to a smoker you could also make Smoked Habanero Powder, very handy to have around.

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

Habanero vodka! Quarter three or so peppers and stuff them into a liter bottle of decent vodka. After about three months, store the bottle in your freezer. They make great shots.

Jim

I like THAT very much. I can also see some kick-ass Bloody Marys in my future.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

i make a chocolate habanero chutney, the hananero is a chocolate habanero, hence the name. When the pepper is ripe it is dark choc. in color. I grow them in pots in my yard ytear round.

Yep. I grew them once, the plants are very prolific. They look like dog poops when mature though. Very hot.

Habanero vodka! Quarter three or so peppers and stuff them into a liter bottle of decent vodka. After about three months, store the bottle in your freezer. They make great shots.

Jim

I recommend extreme caution in how many peppers one uses for this infusion. Herbacidal made some Habanero vodka a while back that had to be dispensed with an eye dropper when it was done. It practically made the tomato juice start to bubble and smoke when you put it in the glass. :blink:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I recommend extreme caution in how many peppers one uses for this infusion.  Herbacidal made some Habanero vodka a while back that had to be dispensed with an eye dropper when it was done.  It practically made the tomato juice start to bubble and smoke when you put it in the glass. :blink:

I assumed that warning people about Habaneros was akin to warning them about standing on the oven door. I suggested three Habs per liter of vodka. That seems about right for my non-suicidal chile-head friends. Habs do wander all over the heat spectrum and your milage will vary. What ratio of Habs to vodka did Herbacidal use?

Jim

A local Southwestern-oriented restaurant I like (Miracle Grill) makes an Ancho-Chocolate cake which is really good. Granted that anchos have a smokey taste different from habaneros, but how would an Habanero-Chocolate cake taste? Might be interesting.

Michael aka "Pan"

Jim

I recommend extreme caution in how many peppers one uses for this infusion. Herbacidal made some Habanero vodka a while back that had to be dispensed with an eye dropper when it was done. It practically made the tomato juice start to bubble and smoke when you put it in the glass. :blink:

I agree. I made a habanero infused vodka as well (with Red Savinas), used only 3 peppers for a whole 750ml bottle, and after a period of 3 weeks, the stuff was absolutely evil. A few drops of the stuff at most added to a bloody mary made with regular Vodka is enough to make a VERY spicy drink. I still have like 90 percent of that bottle left, thats how potent it is.