• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking challenges

hazardnc

I have decided I am only making two food gifts for the holiday season - both inspired by the pastry shops in Paris.

I will first learn to make homemade marshmallows - they were all the rage in paris last year.

Secondly, I will learn to make macaroons - I found Herme's recipe for chocolate. I also have an old issue of Saveur with a recipe. Now, to find a recipe for pistachio creme!

What are you learning to make this year?

I'm determined to learn rugelah this year. I love them, and I'd love to be able to offer some fresh homemade ones for a change. The cream cheese pastry looks tricky.

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

I'm determined to learn rugelah this year. I love them, and I'd love to be able to offer some fresh homemade ones for a change. The cream cheese pastry looks tricky.

Lauren, don't be intimidated by the cream cheese pastry. Rugelach might be time consuming, but they're not hard to make

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Lauren, don't be intimidated by the cream cheese pastry.  Rugelach might be time consuming, but they're not hard to make

I'm doing my first batch next week, my fear is making a nice batch of rock-hard nuggets ;-)

"Give me 8 hours, 3 people, wine, conversation and natural ingredients and I'll give you one of the best nights in your life. Outside of this forum - there would be no takers."- Wine_Dad, egullet.org

Yes, rugelach is not difficult at all. The cream cheese pastry is about as easy and forgiving a dough as you could ask for.

Hazard, marshmallows are great, easy, and everyone seems amazed and impressed by them. Neil's (nightscotsman) thread on them is the place to go.

I haven't quite decided what I'm making yet, other than caramelized almonds, pistachio brittle, and possibly peppermint bark. I'm inclined to do some truffles, and work on enrobing them, rather than just rolling the ganache in cocoa, but I'm not sure how well they'll keep?

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Hazard, marshmallows are great, easy, and everyone seems amazed and impressed by them. Neil's (nightscotsman) thread on them is the place to go.

My inspiration for the marshmallows was prompted by that thread, not to mention the memories of making marshmallows in home-Ec back in the 8th grade. That recipe included egg whites and I am tempted to try the two variations just to compare the flavors and textures.

I have decided to add gougeres to my list - they sound easy enough and I would love to serve something new at my next cocktail party. I had considered a croquembouche - but no one eats cream puffs anymore!

I will quit making 'rough puff' pastry and start making the real thing. That's one goal. I'd also like to learn to make baguettes that are not suitable as baseball bats or police batons.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh