• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hawaii & possibly Maui

yvonne johnson

In a few months, my husband and I are going to Hawaii. My husband's conference is in Honolulu, and after that we are thinking of spending a week or so in Maui (though that's not definite. I was drawn to Maui as some friends have raved about this island's beauty).

I have a couple of guides, but before I go ahead and book things, I thought I'd ask for suggestions from fellow egulletarians. So, which restaurants are the real stand-outs? Fish, fish, fish. Can't wait. Open to all that's on offer: Korean, Japanese and, of course Hawaiian. Chime in with hotels too--I favor the smaller-scale where one can swim and snorkel)--though we are all set for Honolulu.  Also, if an island other than Maui is your favorite please say why. Thanks.

Lucky You. Honolulu has some great restaurants but it is built up. I liked that island the least. Be sure to go to Maui or Kauai which was my favorite. We LOVED Alan Wongs and Chef Mavros in Honolulu. In Maui David Paul's is excellent as was Plantation House. Didn't like Roy's at all.Be sure to make reservations ASAP.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We had some good fish at Pacific'O in Lahaina on Maui.  The food was overly ambitious in preparation, but the fish was incredibly fresh.  I'm sure they could do a simple preparation on request.  Watching the sunset over the ocean during dinner was spectacular.

I've also heard that Waterfront does great seafood.   Plantation House is a well known classic.

I would give Kauai the edge over Maui as a destination.  It simply has otherworldly scenery.  Also has a more rustic feel.  Hiking the Napaali Coast and Waimea Canyon, and taking a helicopter tour over the island were highlights.  Save money on dinner and take that helo tour out of Princeville- incredible.  

You can't go wrong with either island, Hawaii is wonderful.

(Edited by Damian at 5:31 pm on Jan. 17, 2002)

• 2 weeks later...

It's a shame you aren't going to the Big Island.  Although it isn't as spectacularly beautiful as Maui or Kauai, I remember it as the best "compromise" between the isolation of these islands and the cosmopolitan atmosphere of Oahu.  Then again its been a long time since I've been to Hawaii, maybe that's changed.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

• 2 weeks later...

Yvonne -- If you find yourself on Maui, fish would be the way to go!!  I like to try rare breeds, whether it be fish or meat, and Hawaii-specific fish can be sampled at most establishments. Also, Maui produces a special onion that is worthwhile sampling.

If you find yourself on the Wailea side of the island, consider:

Humuhumunukunukuapua`a, the informal restaurant at the Grand Wailea Hotel -- Tends to offer the Hawaiian fish after which it is named.  The flesh is not bad.   Not as expensive as its location within the Grand Wailea might suggest.

Pacific Grill, Four Seasons -- Certain nice Asian-inspired preparations (but more expensive than the above alternative).

http://www.fourseasons.com/maui/dining/dining_74.html (includes a sample menu with (1) Steamed Ehu, Oriental Style with Shiitake Mushrooms, Ginger and Sizzling Sesame Oil, and (2) Island Snapper, Steamed in Banana Leaf with Kula Tomatoes, Nioi Tomato Broth and Island Blossom).

People always mention the buffet at the Maui Prince, but it is overrated and specialty fish are underrepresented.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you go to Maui, you must go to Sensei Sushi.  IT was spectacular.  Foie gras negiri, all types of sushi and prepared plates, at great prices.  

Pacific O, Feast of Le Le and I'o are all owned by James McDonald, who is one of the hottest chefs in Hawaii.  We ate at all three and I can say that the fish is extremely fresh (as in all restaurants in Hawaii) and the restaurants are beauitful, feet away from the water, but they did not do it for me.  David Pauls Lahaina is another great one to try.  Roys places are fun, crowded, and good food.  But, definately try Sensei, very nobu-like without all the hoopla and models.

Sorry, forgot to mention Wolfgang Puck just  opened a place in the Grand Wailau (sp?) Resort.  

Dont forget to follow the "Road to Hana".  Remember, in going to Hana, it is not the destination. It is the journey.  Stop along the way at the waterfalls, smelling the fresh herbs and eating the guava that just fell from the trees above the small, winding roads. Just writing this takes me back there, to Paradise.  I am jealous.  Have a great time. As I am sure you will.  And dont forget to go into the supermarket and buy Ahi tuna for $4 per pound and eat it like a candy bar.  

PS. you can stay away from the Pineapple wine, and Plantation red wine.

In a few months, my husband and I are going to Hawaii. My husband's conference is in Honolulu, and after that we are thinking of spending a week or so in Maui (though that's not definite. I was drawn to Maui as some friends have raved about this island's beauty).

I have a couple of guides, but before I go ahead and book things, I thought I'd ask for suggestions from fellow egulletarians. So, which restaurants are the real stand-outs? Fish, fish, fish. Can't wait. Open to all that's on offer: Korean, Japanese and, of course Hawaiian. Chime in with hotels too--I favor the smaller-scale where one can swim and snorkel)--though we are all set for Honolulu.  Also, if an island other than Maui is your favorite please say why. Thanks.

I personally like Honolulu the best, but then, I must admit, I live and work here, and have my own favorite places to go.  If I had to spend a week on Maui, I'd go crazy. The last time my hubby and I went to Maui to attend a benefit celebrity roller hockey game (I wanted to see those NHL stars who were coming out to play!) - we were just stunned by how touristy it had become.  Don't let people tell you otherwise - parts of Maui are just as bad as Waikiki, with what we consider "Tourist Traps".  It sure wasn't the Maui I remembered, although "upcountry" Maui was really peaceful.  If you do go there, drive up to Ulupalakua, to the Tedeschi Vineyards.  There's a tour and wine sampling!  You may want to consider spending a few days on Maui, and a few on either Kauai or Hawaii.  Of the 3, I like Hawaii best.  If you're in to geology, botany and zoology, you'll love Hawaii.  You'd want to go to Volcanoes National Park!!!  If I had to live somewhere in Hawaii other than Honolulu, I'd pick the island of Hawaii.  Note that we really have a huge selection of restaurants on Oahu.  Hope I didn't rain on your parade!   :smile:

It's a shame you aren't going to the Big Island.  Although it isn't as spectacularly beautiful as Maui or Kauai, I remember it as the best "compromise" between the isolation of these islands and the cosmopolitan atmosphere of Oahu.  Then again its been a long time since I've been to Hawaii, maybe that's changed.

I agree with you.  I live in Honolulu, and The Big Island is my second favorite.  Though Honolulu is "built up", I know this island best, so I can usually find what meets my needs.  It hasn't changed that much - still lots of wide open spaces.