• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stuffing the bird

When roasting turkeys I most often place a chunked sweet onion, and good sprig of fresh rosemary in the cavity, preparing the dressing separately. I know this will be received with gasps by by many eG'ers here. :shock::raz: However, I like to have a clean carcass to make stock with afterward.

But this year I'm making a different cornbread dressing with pork mincemeat that just may benefit most by stuffing that bird instead. It's a 15 lb turkey this year, a bit smaller than usual so it will not be in the oven as long (another of my considerations when choosing not to stuff the bird). Turkey will be covered with EVOO prepped cheesecloth. Ideally the stuffing would be able to be removed from cavity as a whole for serving.

What are your general views on stuffing the birdy or not?

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

My general view is that stuffing taste better in the bird, but that there are so many downsides to stuffing the bird that the cost-benefit ratio is in favor of cooking the stuffing separately. You can always baste your stuffing casserole with drippings. You put in enough butter or whatever and the difference is marginal. But the turkey cooks more evenly, and, as you say, you have a clean carcass in the end when you cook the "dressing" on the side. That's the difference to me, by the way. Inside is stuffing. Outside is dressing. But who cares? By the way, I highly doubt you are going to extract your stuffing in one piece. And why do that anyway? I big blob of stuffing is not very attractive.