• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montreal Festival En Lumiere 2005

bigorre

No, I wouldn't think it's about the SAQ. It has always been that the events with high ticket prices tend to be the ones that feature multi-course tasting menus with many wines, most probably excellent bottles if the producer is on hand.

However, you will find plenty of menus in the $100 range. Look for a program at the market or one of the participating restos.

$300 is a lot of money for dinner. Years ago I attended the Tetsuya dinner at Toque! that cost as much. I left angry. Tetsuya didn't do it for me.

The Charlie Trotter dinner was no great shakes either.

It's always risky. Some dinners I thought would be winners turned out to be duds and vice versa.

Actually this was six years back when Trotter was at his peak I would think. The problems were not only the food (tiny portions) but the service was a mess because Trotter insisted on calling the orders. And I don't think they ever poured the correct wine with the food.

Also, I hate to say this, but I think we're going to have to start expecting $100 to be about average for a fine dining meal. You can't expect to get something really out of this world for $40. I wish you could, but it's just not realistic -- especially for such an event when the guest chefs often want to strut their stuff. Not that they always have stuff to strut, but their intentions are usually good.

I have had some KILLER meals at this festival. Especially in the first two years. Laurent Tourondel produced an amazing dinner at Chez L'Epicier on a Monday night, and there were all of four people in the restaurant. Chibois, Lorain, Patterson (and others I'm too tired to remember) all cooked up some jaw-droppingly good meals.

As for a sushi fest, don't forget we have had people like Tojo here and others (who was that guy from Sono?).

And for the Vij event, just book a table at Anise. There are no tickets involved.

Edited by Lesley C (log)

the past is the past lesley

i was not here so what can i say

$100pp is not a lot of money for montreal - $300pp is too much. here $600 for 2 persons is never going to work -that is meal for 7 people in a great resto here

nobody expects tasting menu for $40pp - that is ridiculous

LT is a master; it takes a french man to show a great steak in NYC!

BTW, another great event for wine lovers will feature André Ostertag of Domaine Ostertag presenting seven of his wines with a five-course menu ($110) at BU. And of course the Pfaffenheim blow-out at La Chronique ($300).

Speaking of winelovers, ANTOINE KREYDENWEISS from the Domaine Marc Kreydenweiss,

in Andlau, will host a tasting dinner at Toqué ! on Feb. 21. The following night, he drives out to the Townships to lead another tasting dinner at Manoir Hovey, in North Hatley, for which no price has been set yet. It's sort of an Off-festival thing (as in Off-Broadway). It'll be quite small, 28 people max., to keep it intimate.

BTW, the whole lineup for the Festival is online, on this page of their official website

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

nobody expects tasting menu for $40pp - that is ridiculous

Vinfidel, not every dinners now and in the past used to be paired with wines. I think this is what Lesley meant.

ahhhhhhh

ok

this make sense

here we have to be satisy with tasting menu sans wine pairings for $100-$150

with wine it is another $150+ withSAQ prices

too bad no corkage here

damn it.. they just called me back indicating that it is been booked for more than a week

aerghhh!

need to find some other interesting diner.. any suggestions?

Try A'los.

My executive chef will be cooking there and her food is incredible.

Her name is Melissa Craig and you won't be disappointed.

Hope you find something you like, Moose.

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

what type of cuisine is it? do you have a sample menu?

Check out www.bearfootbistro.com for a sample of what she can do.

Eleanor Clark

• 3 weeks later...

well, how was the Festival? Any comments?

Eleanor Clark