• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Montreal Festival En Lumiere 2005

bigorre

The press conference is next Tuesday. Interesting to note that the SAQ is NOT backing the event this year (those bastards!).

Otherwise Alsace is the region d'honneur and Vancouver is the featured city (interesting because Vancouver was the featured city two years ago).

The festival is much smaller this year (did I mention the SAQ is NOT involved), with less -- or maybe even no -- events at Complexe Desjardins.

That's all I know so far.

Our chef Melissa Craig will be there from the Bearfoot Bistro. Not sure which establishment but she is worth going to check out.

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

Ooh..another good one... I just heard about Balthazar's Riad Nasr and Lee Hanson at  the Globe!

And the Barefoot Bistro woman chef is going to a L'Os.

It's Bearfoot not Barefoot. :laugh:

And she is the most incredible chef I have ever worked with in the 20 years I have been in the business.

Montreal is in for a treat.

Wish I was going with her! :sad:

Edited by Oyster Guy (log)

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

vikram vij from vancouver? this is the place of one of my best meal ever

better than benares in london which have a michelin star

vij is a genius for ehtnic indian food but more sophisticated with a mix of french styles (he use some wine with his cooking, very rare for indian food)

riad nasr is in fact coming home i think he used to work here before

balthazar is probably the best quality high production kitchen in the world, they serve hundreds of cover each day with amazing quality, maybe 6 services each day. amazing!

this will be great

alert!

a new event was added to aide charity

the host is LAURENT GODBOUT from L'EPICERIE and VERSION

it will feature big wines from California

there will be big winemakers present

if anyone have more details please post it!

the cost is $300 or $400 for VIP which means the big winemaker is sitting with you for dinner

Laurent Godbout will be welcoming chefs Todd Humfries, Paul Kahan, Todd Stein, Marc Orfaly, and Michael Schlow, as well as wine makers Randal Graham (Bonny Doon Vineyard), Bill Easton (Terre Rouge Wines), and Ehren Jordan (Turley Cellars) for one night only, February 22. The all-inclusive price is $300 and all proceeds will go towards research into anti-cancer foods by the Fondation Charles-Bruneau.

BTW, another great event for wine lovers will feature André Ostertag of Domaine Ostertag presenting seven of his wines with a five-course menu ($110) at BU. And of course the Pfaffenheim blow-out at La Chronique ($300).

Laurent Godbout will be welcoming chefs Todd Humfries, Paul Kahan, Todd Stein, Marc Orfaly, and Michael Schlow, as well as wine makers Randal Graham (Bonny Doon Vineyard), Bill Easton (Terre Rouge Wines), and Ehren Jordan (Turley Cellars) for one night only, February 22. The all-inclusive price is $300 and all proceeds will go towards research into anti-cancer foods by the Fondation Charles-Bruneau.

BTW, another great event for wine lovers will feature André Ostertag of Domaine Ostertag presenting seven of his wines with a five-course menu ($110) at BU. And of course the Pfaffenheim blow-out at La Chronique ($300).

very sorry lesley

YOU ARE not correct

there is no turley cellars

there is another winemaker instead from ironhorse vineyards

we dont have these wines at saq

they make excellent sparkling wines as well as some red and white table wines

thank you

there is another winemaker instead from ironhorse vineyards

we dont have these wines at saq

they make excellent sparkling wines as well as some red and white table wines

The SAQ has stocked the Iron Horse vintage brut in the past. Good stuff though, as is so often the case with the better California wines, low QPR meant it didn't exactly fly off the shelves.

Wait, I'm confused, are you saying Ehren Jordan is not the winemaker at Turley Cellars?

sorry if i am not clear

turley cellars is not coming to this dinner event hosted by Laurent Godbout. There are 5 California chefs and 3 cali wineries. you mention two of the wineries correctly but one is wrong: instead of turley it is ironhorse.

Did the other guy cancel? His name and picture are in the program.

Which other guy? Ehren Jordan of Turley?

i did not see the program so i cannot comment. is it availalbe online?

it is strange because i checked with l'epicier - no turley :unsure:

i checked with turley - no l'epicier and he was never planning to come!

a wine like turley doesnt do a lot of promotion it is highly allocated

we are lucky to have somehere at saq inspite the high price :angry:

they do maybe one dinner each year for charity but that is all :cool: