• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Orlando Restaurants?

Tonyy13

• 2 weeks later...

I realize this is a somewhat lapsed topic, but I just joined yesterday and I thought I'd add my two cents.

We dined at Norman's about 9 months ago, and although we enjoyed the food (and they had the best cheese selection in Orlando), we were quite disappointed in the atmosphere. We were seated around the central hub, which is ringed with a bench and a series of 2-top and 4-top tables and accompanying facing chairs. Because of the circular nature of the seating, those on the benches are basically right on top of the diners at the next table. My wife and I had the misfortune of sitting next to a nosy couple who not only listened in on our conversations, but also felt the need to comment on them and on our food as it arrived ("Ooh, that looks good, I should've gotten that....", and "I don't know HOW you can eat cheese after such a filling meal and before dessert!" :rolleyes: ). Add to this the nature of it being a convention hotel, and you also have large groups on expense accounts getting loudly inebriated through out the larger tables in the dining room. I agree with the local food critic that Norman's offers some of the best food in Central Florida, but for the level of restaurant it is we prefer to go somewhere we can have a little privacy and some peace and quiet to enjoy our meal and my birthday....alone! :smile: We'll tolerate tight dining quarters in Manhattan or Paris, but not in Sprawlville Orlando.

Now, for some recommendations for Tony to try out. I'm not surpirsed you were disappointed by the choices you have already tried, especially the HIGHLY overrated Seasons 52. And some of the others you pooh-poohed are hit-and-miss - if you get the right entrees (the filet or the tuna trio at K for instance), you'll likely be happy. What this area lacks in consistency. That said, try the following:

Chatham's Place - BEHIND the Sand Lake Road Restaurant Row area - been there for years and it's our favorite place

Cedar's - Lebanese food on Restaurant Row

Memories of India - Also in the Sand Lake area

Hanamizuki - Japanese worth braving I-Drive traffic

Julianna's (I think, it's a new name) - in College Park, used to be Edgewater Grille, hurricane blew down the sign and he changed the name

Shari - slick downtown sushi joint

Boheme - in the the Downtown Westin Bohemian - revisted it recently and had a fantastic meal with exceptional service - much improved

Le Bon Appetit - little French place in Ocoee/Winter Garden

Taquitos Jalisco - dive Mexican place on West Colonial in Winter Garden

Le Coq Au Vin - surprised you were unimpressed - has the best reputation in town, but it is country French, nothing too ambitious.

Chez Vincent - in Winter Park, nice little menu in a bisto setting

Anyway, try a few of these, since I noticed they had not been mentioned by others. Perhaps your palate is more developed than ours, but we enjoy these places as much as most of what we ate when we lived in NYC.

I realize this is a somewhat lapsed topic, but I just joined yesterday

Two things, if I might, Bill_H:

(a) Welcome to the Southeast Forum of eGullet!

I, no, we, look forward with considerable anticipation to your postings within this, and any other eG forum here, if your initial post is any indication!! :wink:

(b) There are no "lapsed topics" here

.. only lapses in judgement :laugh: and, even occasionally, interest by people who read this forum ... It is highly recommended that older posts be resurrected to meet the growing levels of learning available to both our newer and older members ... chime in at any free hour of the day!

Again, welcome! :biggrin:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Tony--

Welcome to Florida. As a native northerner I feel the same way you do, even after 13 years here. As far as restaurants go we have a couple of gems over here in the Tampa area if you happen to get over this way.

Mise en Place in downtown is great, though I find the ambiance a little snobby at times. If you sit at the bar and eat as I occasionally do, you still get to sample all of Marty Blitz's delights with out having to deal with the 'Ijust want to get noticed crowd'. Also Bern's and Sideberns. Highly overrated for years, but since Jeannie Pierola took over it is wonderful again. Try the fruits de mer if you want a good assortment of good fresh seafood.

As for seafood in general in Florida, the only thing I have to say is befriend a fisherman! We get all the good stuff. I catch skate off the local pier and when I tell people that I'm going to eat it they think I'm nuts!!! If you ever find yourself over Tampa way and want to go fishing PM me and we'll set something up.

For what was supposed to be a short post...Anyway, Good luck and happy hunting. --Adam

"And those who were dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music." FN

Tony--

Mise en Place in downtown is great, though I find the ambiance a little snobby at times. If you sit at the bar and eat as I occasionally do, you still get to sample all of Marty Blitz's delights with out having to deal with the 'Ijust want to get noticed crowd'.

Thanks for the look man, I actually worked with Chef Blitz a few years ago when he was a guest chef at Disney, and I was a prep guy intern. His stuff seemed ok, but I am going to have to check it out. That is awesome about the skate, I am going to have to take you up on that offer, Tampa seems like a nice place, I driven though I think twice since moving in April.

I'm not surpirsed you were disappointed by the choices you have already tried, especially the HIGHLY overrated Seasons 52. And some of the others you pooh-poohed are hit-and-miss - if you get the right entrees (the filet or the tuna trio at K for instance),

Bill, thanks for the look also, and welcome to the forum!! I did do a short stint at Seasons working there, as I am personal friends w/ the former Exec. Chef who they canned, and I wasn't impressed with anything. I was able to walk into the restaurant, and w/out any training kick half of the line cooks butts off of the line (needless to say, half of them were my students, a bunch of good guys, but not a ton of skill, then again, how much skill can you add into something when there are 35,000 worth of business to be done a night?) K I wasn't impressed w/ at all, except for thier sellection fo cheese (which I am wondering where they get). I did have the tuna trio, and me and my companion who went with me did not order the fillet, but to be truthfull, I am pretty sick of filet. I would rather have a Ribeye.... anyway, the plates at K were very dungy, as if someone had rubbed the gray stuff on teh bottoms of sheetpans on them, so I was pretty turned off by the china to begin with, and if that didn't do it, the big "K" of siracha on teh rim of the plate was the deal breaker. Still haven't gotten over to Primo or to NOrmans, which again, I do have plans to do soon (I am now working mornings, easier to eat out that way!), but until then, I don't think my idea of great local cuisine is going to change... nonexistent!!

BTW, I had BBQ at BubbaLou's (sp?) the other day off of Conroy and Kirkman, and it was fair to good. Definatly not as good as Capitol Q's in DC!!!!!

Merry Christmass from a COLD AND SNOWY Maine

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

Tony--

Mise en Place in downtown is great, though I find the ambiance a little snobby at times. If you sit at the bar and eat as I occasionally do, you still get to sample all of Marty Blitz's delights with out having to deal with the 'Ijust want to get noticed crowd'.

Thanks for the look man, I actually worked with Chef Blitz a few years ago when he was a guest chef at Disney, and I was a prep guy intern. His stuff seemed ok, but I am going to have to check it out. That is awesome about the skate, I am going to have to take you up on that offer, Tampa seems like a nice place, I driven though I think twice since moving in April.

I'm not surpirsed you were disappointed by the choices you have already tried, especially the HIGHLY overrated Seasons 52. And some of the others you pooh-poohed are hit-and-miss - if you get the right entrees (the filet or the tuna trio at K for instance),

Bill, thanks for the look also, and welcome to the forum!! I did do a short stint at Seasons working there, as I am personal friends w/ the former Exec. Chef who they canned, and I wasn't impressed with anything. I was able to walk into the restaurant, and w/out any training kick half of the line cooks butts off of the line (needless to say, half of them were my students, a bunch of good guys, but not a ton of skill, then again, how much skill can you add into something when there are 35,000 worth of business to be done a night?) K I wasn't impressed w/ at all, except for thier sellection fo cheese (which I am wondering where they get). I did have the tuna trio, and me and my companion who went with me did not order the fillet, but to be truthfull, I am pretty sick of filet. I would rather have a Ribeye.... anyway, the plates at K were very dungy, as if someone had rubbed the gray stuff on teh bottoms of sheetpans on them, so I was pretty turned off by the china to begin with, and if that didn't do it, the big "K" of siracha on teh rim of the plate was the deal breaker. Still haven't gotten over to Primo or to NOrmans, which again, I do have plans to do soon (I am now working mornings, easier to eat out that way!), but until then, I don't think my idea of great local cuisine is going to change... nonexistent!!

BTW, I had BBQ at BubbaLou's (sp?) the other day off of Conroy and Kirkman, and it was fair to good. Definatly not as good as Capitol Q's in DC!!!!!

Merry Christmass from a COLD AND SNOWY Maine

I called to find out where K gets their cheese, turns out they order it from Artisinal in NYC. They're online site is pretty spiffy, but I was surprised that's where they got their cheese from - Norman's has a better cheese selection and more knowledgable staff to help with selections.

As far as your opinion of the local cuisine, you certainly seem to be a tough judge, so I'll leave you to your opinion. But to others that may view this topic, I do recommend trying the places I mentioned - I think you'll enjoy your meal there.

I have often been accused of being a "positivist", so I tend to look for the good in my experiences (whether dining, travel, movies, etc). So if you're a tough critic, you might take my recommendations with a grain of salt, but if you have an open mind and a good attitude, I think you can find some positive dining experiences here. I find it the biggest problem with people who move to Florida. YOU DON'T LIVE UP NORTH ANYMORE. THINGS ARE DIFFERENT HERE. GET OVER IT OR GO HOME. Just kidding. But remember, Tony's the chef, I'm just an "eater" :biggrin:

But remember, Tony's the chef, I'm just an "eater"

It's a curse, it really is. It is a lot of fun, but I have a hard time even going to a nice place for apps!! I don't have a problem with taco bell, or hooters, both which I frequent often, much to my ex girlfriends shagrin!! Anyway, I expect mediocrity out of those places, but when I get talked up about a restaurant, and I get told what a nice place it is, or even if I don't, I get dissapointed when the experience isn't up to par. Look, there are times when I go into a dining experience expecting nothing but edible, and if I get edible, I am satisfied. But when I am looking for a nice experience, and I am also paying for it (which really stinks, I know how much they are paying for ingreidents and labor!!), I expect more than edible. I expect my sauce not to break, I expect that the plates be clean and their origional color, especially if that color was white!! I expect decent service where you aren't going to hear my straw slurping becuase i am empty or close to it. I don't expect you to explain dishes to me unless I ask about them, although a thorough explanation of the specials is always appreciated. I expect not ot have to buss the silverware and china from the previous couple sitting there before me, and I expect to be treated like someone who is going to pay a premium for good service and food, not like a 23 year old punk who doesn't appreciate the fine dining experience.

Trust me, you should see the size of me... I am also an eater....

Tonyy13

Owner, Big Wheel Provisions

tony_adams@mac.com

I expect more than edible. I expect my sauce not to break, I expect that the plates be clean and their origional color, especially if that color was white!!

Tony,

You will no doubt want to read the thread on "what do YOU personally expect of a chef?, a spark?wit? increasing one' s delights? " from a while ago ... :wink:

the chef thread

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

If you are also interested in low-brow joints, try Taqueria La Granja on 436 (Semoran Blvd) at Aloma in Winter Park. They sell the best $2.99 lunch special-- 1/4 chicken with rice & beans. Dine in and sample all of the salsas and onion salads. They also have a $5 special which includes plantains and a soda, or a $6 special which includes the same but with a half chicken. My family is hooked on this place.

• 1 month later...