• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

WTN: Dumol Syrah Edie's Patch 2002

Carema

This is nice.

A client came in today to retrieve some treasures, rips open the 6 pack of Syrah I just sold him and hands me a bottle. I responded in kind with a Biale Black Chicken. My customers are the best.

Anyhoooo.... I didn't wait. So impatient. A tumbling nose of vanilla and rich cassis. Does not grab the mid-palate and the amount of black cherries is giving me a nudge that Edie's Patch, where ever it is, is some young fruit. The lightest hint of bacon, Oscar Meyer brand, cooked a few hours ago in the next apartment. Good firm little tannins like the thigh muscle begining to fill in a nine year old. Solid finish. I am not sure what to eat with this. I have already eaten so I won't but it doesn't have a whole lotta acid. But so appealing with its vast, expansive nose and sweet almost cloying fore palate.

This was a gift and that makes the wine tres lovely.

over it

Hi Carema,

I enjoy your style but a word of criticism if I may.

A. What is the 95 points for ?

B. Why state the price prior to the tasting notes or even worse at the heading?

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

95 is the score awarded by Mr. Parker. This score was posted long before the wine was released and its price reflected the pedigree. Edie's Patch is six year old vines.

There are Cote Roties out there for less money made from vines that could be considered antiques. Usually these wines are given less points because the fruit is not as sweet and the vinous notes imparted by the mature vines go underappreciated.

Of course this is a world that holda as a standard of beauty the voraciously young, taut stomached B Spears, a world that encourages people to have their fat sucked out and large portions of their faces removed, to implant bags of saline in their bodies and to inject paralyzing toxins into their foreheads.

I still have half a bottle at home. Let us see if it stood up to the test of overnight.

over it

Wonderful write up! Do you have a newsletter? I'll subscribe.

I take it the bacon was a bit too forward and sharp. I can relate to the Oscar Meyer thing. To me, a syrah is not varietally accurate without bacon, but I prefer it to be smoked end bits straight from the butcher and gently browned for lentils. Definite, but not slapped in front of you by a waitress with a nametag that says, "Oh, Miss!"

Please tell me you have kids in soccer. :blink:

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook

Not a soccer mama. Child plays yu gi oh, and likes to do complicated math inside his head. Can also tell the difference between farm raised salmon and wild with just a sniff.

Syrah did not hold up to next day. The baby was tired but did not awake.

In terms of sport we rollerblade and sled.

Does puttering around the kitchen count as sport?

over it

A tumbling nose of vanilla and rich cassis.
Does not grab the mid-palate and the amount of black cherries is giving me a nudge that Edie's Patch, where ever it is, is some young fruit.
The lightest hint of bacon, Oscar Meyer brand, cooked a few hours ago in the next apartment.
Good firm little tannins like the thigh muscle begining to fill in a nine year old.
But so appealing with its vast, expansive nose and sweet almost cloying fore palate.

For future reference (and/or calibration), we must have entirely different taste. While I have no doubt of their accuracy, none of these descriptors makes me want to try this wine. And at $85, I should be able to resist.

Best, Jim

Edited by Florida Jim (log)

www.CowanCellars.com