• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red Delicious Apples

Ling

hmmm, in my experience, red delicious are not acceptable for cooking--they almost always have something like a musty, stale cardboard flavor. that could be poor conditioning/storage, but it has happened often enough to make me wary. golden delicious, on the other hand, are very good apples when they're grown, harvested, conditioned and stored correctly, both for eating out of hand and for cooking.

Russ: I'll send you an invite next time I make a Tarte Tatin. :wink:

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

Russ:  I'll send you an invite next time I make a Tarte Tatin.  :wink:

c'mon kit, that's not fair. you KNOW a great cook can make almost anything taste good. even a red delicious. now, if you were to do TWO tartes, one with pink ladies or maybe even Gravensteins ... now that would prove something.

Russ:  I'll send you an invite next time I make a Tarte Tatin.   :wink:

c'mon kit, that's not fair. you KNOW a great cook can make almost anything taste good. even a red delicious. now, if you were to do TWO tartes, one with pink ladies or maybe even Gravensteins ... now that would prove something.

You're right, Russ. With all the butter and sugar involved, any apple (that can hold its shape) would taste good in a Tarte Tatin. So your challenge sounds good to me. Perhaps I'll see you at the Farmer's Market on Sunday and you can suggest/pick out something sweet, tart and tasty, then I'll do a couple this week. Hmmm. Might check out the array of apples at Plowboys too. Have you done a TT with Gravensteins before? I've always wanted to as I love their flavor but think that they will completely fall apart when cooked for that period of time.

Anyway, I've been wanting to do a comparison for ages now. Thanks for the nudge and the challenge!

(Damn. That means I need to make puff pastry too. Better get to it!)

edited in order to stay on topic and comment that ONE of the Tarte Tatins will be made with Red Delicious!

Edited by kitwilliams (log)

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl