• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chester County Restaurants

percyn

Trattoria Vittorio's Italian Cuisine

Suburbia Shopping Center

50 Glocker Way

Pottstown PA

610-323-3725

Replacing Cafe Mosaic this little italian BYOB brought to you by the owners of Fellini Cafe is a nice addition to Northern Chester County dining considering there was no where to get a decent plate of pasta north of 113 until now.

Service was good, food was good, sorry no camera, I wasn't planning to going to dinner.

Overall a pleasant experience.

I will bring my camera back soon.

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

Drove by one day it was open, the next closed. I am told by the new owner it was too hard to run the restaurant, and do catering with 3 small children. Hard life it is to run your own place. I hope the chef lands on his feet.

--------------------

Trattoria Vittorio's

The wife and I tried it out last night. My veal saltibocca (16.95) was ok nothing more. My wife had a fish I can't pronounce from the grouper family (24.95) that she just raved about. Service was good, food was a bit slow. I had to go down to the state store an buy another bottle of wine.

They seem to be doing very well as there was a line for tables. Quite a few interesting pasta dishes on the menu. We'll go back.

Best,

Mike

Trattoria Vittorio's

The wife and I tried it out last night. My veal saltibocca (16.95) was ok nothing more. My wife had a fish I can't pronounce from the grouper family (24.95) that she just raved about. Service was good, food was a bit slow. I had to go down to the state store an buy another bottle of wine.

They seem to be doing very well as there was a line for tables. Quite a few interesting pasta dishes on the menu. We'll go back.

Best,

Mike

Four of us also went last night. Every table was full at 7:00 PM so we waited for 15 minutes or so. Everything was solidly done and plentiful. We will also go back.

• 6 months later...

I am afraid it looks like there is a drop in quality at Bridge 101 - both on the ingredients and execution front, resulting in an unappealing quality to price quotient. When most entrees are in the $28-$34 range, which is towards the high end for Pville and the competition surrounding you is offering much more innovative and better executed food at a more reasonable price point, it is time to wake up.

The $12 mussels appetizer had exactly 6 molluscs served on a bed of what seemed like crispy tortilla strips.

gallery_21049_162_33539.jpg

The "exotic" mushroom salad had cold mushrooms found in most supermarkets and was drowning in dressing.

gallery_21049_162_44271.jpg

The $28 diver scallops had nice sized scallops, but seemed like they were seared (and some edges burned) ahead of time and were sitting out as they were not warm and almost soggy (could have happened it the scallops were placed under a tap).

gallery_21049_162_30386.jpg

The medium Angus burger was obliterated until it was gray through and through. The fresh fries offered a glimmer of hope once the excess salt was wiped off.

In retrospect we should have demanded more and sent some of the dishes back, but we were hungry so we chowed on.

Dessert was some coffee and a tummy ache.

Edited by percyn (log)

What restaurant was this? Certainly not the re-imagined Majolica? Doesn't seem like their style at all, so I'm reasonably sure not...

Oops...this was at Bridge 101. I updated the posting to reflect that.

Interestingly, I wanted to try Majolica, but they were all sold out and only had an opening for a 2 top very late in the evening. I am planning to try the "new" Majolica and will report back soon.

• 1 month later...

went to a thai place called jazmine's in west chester for dinner tonight. it's where the old punk/rock club rex's used to be on west gay street. strange to see it so, well, not black. the owner is nice guy named josh who was courteous, informative and doted on his customers. the food is typical thai fare, but very tasty and the presentation was beautiful.

we started with thai iced teas (they have a BIG bar and are waiting for their liquor license. it's currently BYOB). we split an order of chicken satay and crispy spring rolls. the satay was two generously sized skewers of chicken served over a sweet and sour cucumber salad with peanut sauce. there were 4 spring rolls with dipping sauce.

for dinner, i got my standard thai food barometer dish ... drunken noodles. BIG plate, lots of chicken, rice noodles, pea pods, onions and thai basil (i asked for no bell peppers). mild to medium spice. very well done. my hub got the supanahong, which was chicken, shrimp, pineapple, cashews and veggies served in half a pineapple. wish i had a camera cause it was really pretty. dad had crab cakes and angel hair pasta with a penang sauce. perhaps the best curried crab cakes i've tasted. there was curry in the crab cakes, as well as on top. VERY good.

for dessert we shared mangoes with sticky rice. again, a generous portion. you don't go away hungry.

i'm happy to have a thai place that's nicer than the royal thai orchid in frazer (found the staff there to be not so friendly) and closer to my house than l'thai elephant in phoenixville. extra bonus that the portions are large and the food is really good! the menu says they deliver. i'll have to take them up on that some day. also have $10 dine-in lunches daily.

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

• 3 weeks later...
I am afraid it looks like there is a drop in quality at Bridge 101 - both on the ingredients and execution front, resulting in an unappealing quality to price quotient. When most entrees are in the $28-$34 range, which is towards the high end for Pville and the competition surrounding you is offering much more innovative and better executed food at a more reasonable price point, it is time to wake up.

The $12 mussels appetizer had exactly 6 molluscs served on a bed of what seemed like crispy tortilla strips.

gallery_21049_162_33539.jpg

The "exotic" mushroom salad had cold mushrooms found in most supermarkets and was drowning in dressing.

gallery_21049_162_44271.jpg

The $28 diver scallops had nice sized scallops, but seemed like they were seared (and some edges burned) ahead of time and were sitting out as they were not warm and almost soggy (could have happened it the scallops were placed under a tap).

gallery_21049_162_30386.jpg

The medium Angus burger was obliterated until it was gray through and through. The fresh fries offered a glimmer of hope once the excess salt was wiped off.

In retrospect we should have demanded more and sent some of the dishes back, but we were hungry so we chowed on.

Dessert was some coffee and a tummy ache.

Word around the Ville is that Bridge 101 is unexpectedly closed

http://www.aroundphoenixville.com/

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

Interesting, will have to swing by to see if it is indeed closed. I hope they reopen with a renewed spirit and the quality that accompanied their first opening - and that they are able to maintain it.

It is a great space and it deserves a great restaurant.

Interesting, will have to swing by to see if it is indeed closed. I hope they reopen with a renewed spirit and the quality that accompanied their first opening - and that they are able to maintain it.

It is a great space and it deserves a great restaurant.

I was just reading the comments on the aroundphoenixville thread above and it seems as if it will reopen as "Baxters @ Bridge 101".

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

• 4 weeks later...

Though technically I believe this place is in Delaware county, Kebab Cafe in the Gateway shopping center in Wayne is worth a visit.

The meat is succulent and flavorful while the basmati rice is really well cooked and the side salads are amazing. Try the cauliflower one or the Shirazi. I have yet to try the Hummus which they also serve.

Doner Kebab Platter - served on a mound of deliciously aromatic basmati rice and with some pita bread.

gallery_21049_162_29852.jpg

Comes with a side of Shirazi Salad

gallery_21049_162_17314.jpg

(Persian) Kebab Cafe

Gateway Shopping Center

231 E. Swedesford Road

Wayne, PA 19087

(610) 975-5850

www.kababcafe.com

There is a Baxter's in West Chester, which is so-so.

Was driving by and saw that they have indeed reopened as Baxter's @Bridge 101. Will be interesting to see what has changed.

The Baxter's in West Chester is now the Rams Head Bar & Grill.

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

• 1 month later...

Though technically I believe this place is in Delaware county, Kebab Cafe in the Gateway shopping center in Wayne is worth a visit.

I finally managed to find myself in the Gateway shopping center, and hungry, and I must thank Percy for the heads-up on Kebab Cafe.

It looks a little fast-foody, and indeed there's only counter service, but the food seems to be made freshly to order, at least mine was. More important, it was quite good. I'm by no means an expert, but I've had a bit of Persian food, and this seemed quite authentic, if a bit limited in range. The meat's Halal, if you care...

I tried the Kebab Golpaygani, which had spiced ground meat layered on top of thin sliced filet mignon. Tender, tasty, nicely grilled, accompanied by good rice, what more do you want? That was the most expensive kebab, at $15, which seemed fair to me for what it was.

While I was waiting, the manager gave me a small sample of Koreshte Goosht, which is a stewy concoction of ground beef, rice potatoes and vegetables. It was very good, I can really picture enjoying a big bowl of that, especially in the winter.

Looking forward to trying all the kebabs. Happy to have Persian food closer to me than Lafayette Hill or Old City.

And it's nice to have an alternative to 5 Guys Burgers if you're in that area and feeling like a quick dose of grilled meat... (BTW, why does 5 Guys still have a crappy-looking fabric banner rather than a real sign. How long have they been there?)

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

PhilA, glad you liked it.

With more culinary destinations opening in the Gateway shopping center, I find myself having to make the hard decision of choosing between Taste of India, Five Guys, Baja Fresh(?) and Kebab cafe (though they have been my main destination recently).

Try the side salads and lemonade at the Kebab cafe, they are quite good.

I tried Kebab Cafe this afternoon after some fly fishing on the Pickering Creek. I had the Koubideh platter with the Shirazi salad. Excellent, excellent excellent. I give the place an A for the food and I don't mind the casual/fast food look. I hope they do a good business because I am often passing by there.

Beats the hell out of the 'C' food at the Persian Grill in Lafayette Hill, imho. We live right around the corner from that place, and we just are not impressed. I have heard good things about the Persian place in Chestnut Hill, Shundeez.

Why is it that the restaurants worth eating at close to Lafayette Hill can be counted on the fingers of one hand(Blackfish) ?

• 2 weeks later...

Taqueria Moroleon recently moved from Kennett Sq to Avondale. Its on Rt 41 at the DE border and appears to be a big hit. Filled parking lot for several days. We finally got in today at lunch and it was good. The food isn't inexpensive eg $8-11 apps and $10 to 18 mains, but portions are large. A weekday lunch menu is cheaper.

It appears to be righteous Mexican food judging by the number of Mexicans dining there. I cannot judge myself. Clearly it is different from the stuff served at other local places eg Palacio Maya, which I find unpalatable at best.

The stuff at TM is good, well-seasoned and not covered with gloppy sauces as seems to be the Southern CC norm. I can't give a learned critique, but I like the place.

• 9 months later...

I was quite excited to see some Grand Opening!! signs flapping around on the building that used to be the Moose Lodge in Phoenixville.

It was a brewpub for a minute and a half a couple of years ago, but seems to have been vacant since.

I would have been happy to see almost anything go in there, but I was especially thrilled when I saw the name: Antigua Guatemala.

AG-SignR.jpg

I'm not sure we have any specifically Guatemalan restaurants even in downtown Philly, although I'm sure a few "Mexican" places are run my Guatemalans. I think Pura Vida in Northern Liberties might be one...

Anyway, the menu is small right now, but the chef was making the rounds while I had dinner, and he said they're just getting up to speed, and plan to add Tamales and lots more once they get comfortable.

I think they're off to a good start, the dining area is pleasant, with some casual booths at the front, and tables and chairs in the back. Service was super-friendly, maybe too attentive, but I'll write that off to them being brand new. The young waitstaff speaks perfect English, as well as Spanish, so there were no communication issues.

There aren't really any small starters yet, just a few entrée-ish things, and a special "caldo" a big bowl of stewy soup, whose ingredients change every day. Saturday is chicken, actually hen, and I could see another diner enjoying a bowl of it. But be ready, it's rustic: there were big pieces of chicken still on the bone, so you can't be dainty with it, you have to dig right in, but it looked tasty.

While I was waiting for my food, the waiter brought some chips, doused with a mild mole, and accompanied by two good salsas. The chips tasted fresh and homemade, which is to say, a little oily, but I like that...

AG-Chipsr.jpg

I decided on the Parrillada, or mixed grill. It featured a large piece of thiny-sliced steak, which somehow stayed very juicy, a perfectly-cooked chicken breast, again, amazingly juicy, and a piece of sausage. All were lightly grilled, and there was a bit of mild sauce drizzled across the top. Warm tortillas, some routine "Spanish Rice" and a good-sized (but un-dressed) salad accompanied.

AG-ParilladaR.jpg

Everything was expertly cooked, and nicely seasoned, but in the end, it's basically just grilled meat, so it was a little on the plain side, even the sausage was fairly tame. But a splash of the salsa that came with the chips, or a squeeze of lime, and a drizzle of the very good hot sauce on the table, and it perked right up. In the end I liked it a lot, and would order that again.

The menu also includes a roasted chicken, fried chicken, grilled chicken, a steak, a fish, the daily Caldo, and... fajitas. I don't think those are traditionally Guatemalan, but hey, people like fajitas, and in the end, it's grilled meat in a tortilla.

Everything's pretty inexpensive for what it is, my very large plate of food was $14, which I thought was a real bargain. They don't have really cheap items yet, like sandwiches or smaller plates, but I suspect they soon will offer something less formal in addition to the full dinners.

I'm looking forward to trying more. The staff couldn't be more friendly, the place is fixed up nicely, and they're open 10am to 10pm, I THINK every day. Certainly most days...

Antigua Guatemala

119 South Main St

Phoenixville, PA

610-935-2700

Edited by philadining (log)

philadining.com

• 6 months later...

Anyone try the new fillipino restaurant "Taste of the Tropics" on rte 23 where Thai L'Elephant used to be?

I know nothing really about Fillipino food, would like to know what's good and what to try. They have a website and it all looks good.

--------------------

There has long been a little Filipino market a couple doors down from that location, and I'd heard that they did take-out food on the weekends, so I wonder if those folks decided to expand when the space opened up.

There are not many Filipino restaurants around Philly, the only other one I've found is Manila Bay, up on Castor Ave in the Northeast. I made it there a couple of times, and liked it, but I just read that they closed up for good just a few weeks ago.

So thanks for the heads-up, I'll check this one in Phoenixville out soon. I have a good friend who was born and raised in the Philippines, and she happens to be a really talented cook too, so I'll have to bring her and get her opinion!

That's a challenging location, in a kind of bleak strip-mall that's not even really visible from the road. Here's hoping that it's enough of a destination restaurant that people will seek it out.

philadining.com