• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chester County Restaurants

percyn

Just had a quick, delicious power lunch at the Black Lab Bistro in Phoenixville. Started out with a crostini with a sun-dried tomato pesto drizzled with cilantro oil. The pesto had a nice sweet and acidic tang, which was a good thing. Very simple, very tasty. Seems like a perfect spring appetizer only if spring weren't currently parading around as winter. For an entree I had the boneless braised short ribs with mashed potatoes, which were very tender and flavorful. The mashed potatoes, however, were very pedestrian. I supposed mashed potatoes are by nature very pedestrian, but a little sprucing up wouldn't have hurt. My girlfriend had the lobster bisque and crabcake sandwich, both of which she loved. For dessert we split the flourless chocolate torte that was pretty good, but I've had better.

Our server was very pleasant and there were only about 4 tables seated while we were there, so things went very smoothly. We were in and out in about 45 minutes, and the check came to $47 before tip. I'm glad I work close to this place. It beats the tail off of the work cafeteria.

Edited by Tim Dolan (log)

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

For some reason I never think to go there for lunch, thanks Tim!

In other Phoenixville news, I noticed the Destiny Brew Pub looks closed, building for sale. That leaves Phoenixville with only two brewpubs, how ever will we get by?

While not a brewbup, I did see signs for a new Irish pub called Molly Maguires on the corner directly across from Steel City Coffee. There's an awful lot happening along those few blocks.

Homer Simpson

While not a brewbup, I did see signs for a new Irish pub called Molly Maguires on the corner directly across from Steel City Coffee.  There's an awful lot happening along those few blocks.

Great! I'm all for memorializing anarcho-syndicalist proto-terrorist organizations sticking the odd ounce of lead to the Man.

And beer, of course.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been trying to expand my horizons for Chinese food recently, in particular I've been jonesing for the spicy dumplings and Szechuan beef at Szechuan Tasty House in Chinatown. Is there anything that comes close to matching that type of cuisine out in the Collegeville/Phoenixville area, just in case (like today) I get a serious lunchtime urge for a good burn?

Homer Simpson

I've been trying to expand my horizons for Chinese food recently, in particular I've been jonesing for the spicy dumplings and Szechuan beef at Szechuan Tasty House in Chinatown.  Is there anything that comes close to matching that type of cuisine out in the Collegeville/Phoenixville area, just in case (like today) I get a serious lunchtime urge for a good burn?

I've never had anything close to what can be had at STH anywhere, particularly those wonderful dumplings and gold coins

I've been trying to expand my horizons for Chinese food recently, in particular I've been jonesing for the spicy dumplings and Szechuan beef at Szechuan Tasty House in Chinatown.  Is there anything that comes close to matching that type of cuisine out in the Collegeville/Phoenixville area, just in case (like today) I get a serious lunchtime urge for a good burn?

The short answer is no.

If you can manage a drive to Exton, the China Bistro (where the Chung King Garden folks used to work) is still serving some seriously spicy food if you order from the "Special Taste of Szechuan" part of the menu. There are only about 3 spicy things on the "authentic" part of the "Lunch Express" menu, but you can probably order from the main menu if you really want the serious stuff.

But other than that place, I don't know of anything else in the burbs that approaches that style.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Even China Bistro recently seems to have changed owners or at least its menu, which now also offers Thai.

The Mongolian beef I got recently was pretty blah. Haven't tried any of the usual spicy suspects or the new Thai dishes yet, but hope to soon.

Please report back if you have tried their new menu.

• 1 month later...

Went to Nectar in Berwyn recently for lunch. Their steak tartare sushi rolls are not on the menu any longer, but still delicious enough to pursuade them to make a special order.

I like their shrimp Pad Thai. Sounds pedestrian, but it really has a kick to it. Bento box appetizer sampler was so-so.

Wife liked the goat cheese salad and lobster fried rice.

there was much joy in exton tonight!

on a whim, dr. sax, myself and another couple went to han dynasty for dinner. han dynasty is a new chinese place that opened two weeks ago in the exton plaza (near the mcdonald's ... 260 n. pottstown pike).

while we were outside waiting for the other couple to arrive, i peeked at their menu and was happily surprised to see they had a full menu of authentic szechuan dishes, as well as taiwanese and cantonese dishes. they also have an american chinese menu.

when we arrived, we were given forks and the american menu, to which we asked, "where's the good menu?" the waiter was very gracious and asked if he could order for us. the only thing we specifically asked for was the szechuan wonton w. chili oil.

he brought us eggplant & minced pork with garlic sauce, which was delicious, boiled sliced pork in hot sauce with cabbage (again, delicious), chinese meatball (from the taiwanese menu) ... 4 huge meatballs served with steamed broccoli and the szechuan wonton. there was not a bad dish. we were still hungry so we got the beef & tripe with hot sauce (also had tendon) and the lamb with cumin. one of the problems i've always had with lamb with cumin is that the lamb is usually dry. this lamb was succulent and amazing!

my only complaint was that the food was not spicy enough. i mentioned this to the waiter and he said since he didn't know us, he erred on the side of caution and didn't make everything really hot. the next time we came in he promised us he'd make things more spicy.

i wish i brought my camera, cause all the food was very nicely plated, the waiter staff was highly attentive, the owners came out to see how we liked it and the food arrived in a timely manner. they gave us 15% off and the whole bill came to $54. can't beat that!

90% of the patrons were chinese. when we walked in, we were the only caucasians. we were told that people have been coming from all over the area (princeton, state college, delaware, etc) for their food. i can see why. we were also told not to come on saturdays, since it gets really crowded and their still a little short on wait staff.

many businesses have tried and failed in this location. i think this restaurant is a keeper. i look forward to other people trying it and seeing if they love it as much as i did!

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

Saxchik, that's good to hear. I almost went there on Saturday, but it looked like they were not open yet, so I went to China Bistro instead. BTW, China Bistro (previously known as Tico's) has added a sushi bar which will start serving sushi next week.

Will have to check this place out soon.

New restaurant opened Friday in southernmost CC, on Rt 896 in the Landenberg/Kemblesville metroplex. Amici's is the name. The menu is contemporary and in the 'fine dining' vein. I had prosciutto wrapped pork tenderloin...very nice. Lob bisque was up to par. Chicken carabonara was dry. Wine list is small but OK. Chef was previously at Iron Hill in Wilmington or Newark, I forget which they told me.

One amazing menu entry is Kobe beef + Lobster stuffed with crab for $100 (3-4x more than the rest of the mains). In Landenberg! We'll let that one wait for another visit. :rolleyes:

Waitstaff is a bit green, but for day three, not bad.

Saxchik, that's good to hear. I almost went there on Saturday, but it looked like they were not open yet, so I went to China Bistro instead. BTW, China Bistro (previously known as Tico's) has added a sushi bar which will start serving sushi next week.

Will have to check this place out soon.

hmmm ... might be time to do a chin-a-thon in exton soon. :)

Charles Pierce

• 2 weeks later...

We had a fast dinner at a new mexican place right in the heart of Downingtown. My husband thought he recognized the name from a truck in Coatesville (but I don't remember what it was.) The chips were homemade and served with a red and green sauce. Very tasty. I had the carne al pastor served with 4 small tortillas. I've never had tacos al pastor so I can't compare these to anything, but they tasted good. The star of the show though was the guacamole. It was served in a huge bowl, and consisted of chunks of avocado, fresh tomatoes, cilantro and onion. I would go back just for that and the chips. I noticed that they had beef tripe soup on the weekends if anyone is interested in that.

Last night, we had another excellent dinner at Allegre. We go there often and are never disappointed. They don't do a lot of sophisticated items, but everything is always well prepared. My salad was a special: spring mix greens, grilled eggplant , asagio cheese, & fresh tomato in a balsamic dressing. The entree was tilapia with clams and mussels in a white wine sauce.

Edited by Natasha (log)

Natasha, I believe the name of the Mexican place at 2 Wallace Ave in Downingtown is Los Comprades. The owners/family also have 2 lunch trucks in Coatesville. Interestingly, the menu and prices are pretty much the same (with the exception of a few dishes like Mexican Shrimp Cocktail, which they did not have and the weekend tripe soup mentioned).

They do have Horchata (and other Mexican sodas/drinks), which is great with the homemade chips and salsa.

I ordered the Carnitas Burrito (served with rice, beans and salad)

gallery_21049_162_18847.jpg

and a super creamy/eggy Flan (the pecans were a good touch, but had to take the canned cherries and peach off)

gallery_21049_162_1755.jpg

I hope this place stays around, though I am a bit concerned about them being able to cover all the overhead and make a profit when they are charging the same prices as the lunch truck (essentially the entire menu ranges from $2-$8/item).

Hoping to try the tripe and hominy soups they serve only on the weekends.

Cheers

Percy

P.S: Sorry, for the blurry cell phone pics

Went to Jasper's in Downingtown (78 W Lancaster Ave, next to Rita's water ice). This restaurant is located in a converted white Victorian house and the driveway is easy to miss. It was a Wed, but the place got pretty full by 7:30pm or so.

We were presented with an Amuse Bouche of Asparagus and (Grilled) Chili soup, which was an interesting combination, though a bit too salty...an unfortunate trend which continued through our dinner.

We ordered appetizers of Warm Goat Cheese salad and Grilled Quail with 3 Onion Tart. I was impressed by the quantity and quality of the quail dish, for under $10...though the quail was just a touch over done.

Wife ordered the Fillet, which came with provincial vegetables, while I ordered the Lamb Loin. Unfortunately the chef was again heavy handed with the salt.

Service was friendly, but could be more finessed if they want to be considered a fine dining restaurant (e.g. we had to remind the wait staff for replacement silverware, etc).

Cheers

Percy

While walking back home from the farmers market in Phoenixville today we noticed that the Black Lab Bistro on Bridge is now open for lunch on Saturdays from 11:30-2:30. This was a happy sight for 2 locals who can't get there during the week for lunch. We had a quick caesar salad and turkey club, both very tasty! Now if they'd just bring brunch back again, well we'd practically live there.

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

More eats from Las Compadres in Downingtown:

Homemade Chips and Salsa

gallery_21049_162_38828.jpg

Tripe Soup - This is soooo good. A big bowl of the the most tender and flavorful tripe, simmered in a thin beef broth, spiked with paprika. Served with your choice of tortillas or bread.

gallery_21049_162_24516.jpg

Carnitas and Asada Tacos

gallery_21049_162_21685.jpg

Shrimp in a Mexican sauce - The sauce tastes like a mixture of cocktail sauce and salsa...very refreshing.

gallery_21049_162_5152.jpg

Edited by percyn (log)

• 2 months later...

dr. sax and i hit las compadres for dinner on friday night.

we started with guacamole, which was made to order. it consisted of chopped up avocados, tomatoes, red onions, cilantro and maybe lime juice. it wasn't the all smooth and creamy guac, it was the kind of guac that had nice chunks of each ingredient so it was extra fresh tasting.

dr. sax had the chicken enchilada platter, which included three enchiladas which looked to be covered by lettuce, sour cream and queso fresco. it was paired with the rice and beans shown in percy's pictures.

i had the carne al pastor ... marinated pork sauteed with pineapple and onions. the meat came out on the plate, paired with rice and beans. on the side were warm corn tortillas to wrap the meat in. it was delicious!

i also had horchata and we shared the flan for dessert.

it was the best mexican meal i've had outside of south philly. they don't take cards, tho, so if you go, bring cash.

i really need to start carrying my camera on me.

Charles Pierce

hmmm, might have to head out to Downingtown soon! Although I might not need to make the drive, I just grabbed lunch at Los Mariachis in Phoenixville again, and it was really quite good, and bizarrely large: 5 well-stuffed tacos for $5-something. I've got a picture around here somewhere...

In other ChesCo developments: the Marchwood Shopping Center (which is in a weird location, sort sunk down in a little valley beside route 100, just north of Exton) is home to two new-ish ethnic markets.

There's an Indian store with some good produce, and then the expected spices and groceries. The nice surprise is that there are shockingly tasty vegetable Samosas sitting under a heat lamp next to the cash register. There's no reason for these to be any good, yet they are...

A couple of doors down, there's an even newer "Asian" grocery, with mostly Chinese stuff. It's a small store, but there's a really great selection of stuff that I've never been able to find out this way, including some unusual fresh and frozen prepared foods or ingredients, along with the expected aisles of sauces and snacks. They don't have much produce, but they do have some nice greens you're unlikely to find in the supermarket. I got some tiny little baby bok choy which turned out to be quite delicious. But my favorite find was frozen scallion pancake dough. They looked almost homemade, simply wrapped in plastic wrap, and rather sticky and gooey and non-manufactured-looking when thawed out a bit. But more to the point, fried up in a hot pan, they might have been better than most I've gotten in restaurants... Maybe because I risked severe burns by eating them approximately 3.5 seconds out of the oil!

It's not big enough to be a complete substitute for the H-Mart or the Washington Ave supermarkets, or Chinatown groceries, but it's great to have nearby.

There's also a good Indian Grocery store in the same plaza as Han Dynasty, along with the McDonald's and the Produce Junction. That too is just off of 100, just a little north of rt 3, still in Exton, not as far north as Marchwood.

It's really not so bad out here in the burbs!

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

the indian grocery store in exton is owned by the same people that own the himalayan restaurant in malvern (in the great valley shopping center on the corner of 30 & 401 ... has a wachovia bank, taco bell/kfc, subway, etc in it). could be where the samosa are from. i'm excited about the asian market. i just bought an electric fondue pot for a party i'm throwing in september and i wanna try some szechuan hot pot in it.

speaking of chinese, in the same shopping center mentioned above is my absolute FAVORITE vegan chinese restaurant called the su-tao cafe. they do buffet for lunch and dinner ever day except sundays (i think). you won't miss the meat even if you're a serious carnivore.

Edited by SaxChik (log)

Charles Pierce

Thanks for the heads-up on the new stores. These are my stomping grounds since I live in Downingtown, but as you say, both shopping centers are littel sunken out of view.

SaxChik, I've been dreaming of that guacamole since I last had it. It is seriously good (and cheap!)

Anyone know the skinny on the G Lodge on 23 in Valley Forge? That is our go-to place for diner type breakfast, and over the past few days I've seen way too much activity around there turning it into someplace called the Filbert Restaurant. I would've stopped to snoop on the way home from work today, but the rain was too much.

Crossing my fingers it isn't a change for the worse!

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>