• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chester County Restaurants

percyn

Speaking of Chester County Restaurants, hubby and I had lunch at the new Nudy's in Phoenixville after going to the Pville Farmers Market. It is in the location that used to house an Indian Place on Bridge Street just outside of downtown. They're open for breakfast and lunch only. Hours are Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, 7 a.m. to 3 p.m.

The menu was quite extensive, and we will definitely be back to check out breakfast. I had buffalo chicken wrap and CH had a fajita wrap. Mine was a bit too tangy but his was just right, so we split each. Nice fresh ingredients.

Decor? Uninspired, with the placement of the "artwork" on the walls a bit off and crooked. I tend to notice these things, and hate it when a place that has only been open a very short time looks like it has seen better days already (see Panini's, Phoenixville for another example of this) Also the stacking banquet chairs really don't give a sense of style or permanence, it would be nice if they were just temporary. Color palette was nice and bright.

I am assuming this is an offshoot of the Wayne location

Nudy's Bridge Street Cafe

450 Bridge Street

Phoenixville, PA

610-933-6085

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

Went to the recently opened Taste of India, in Exton.

Since this was an impromptu visit, I did not have my trusty camera with me (used to leave it in the car until the 90F + temp).

Overall, my feelings about this place were mixed:

On the plus side:

+ Good range of North Indian dishes including a few that you don't see at every typical Indian restaurant buffet, e.g Tandoori fish, Rashmi Kebab (although the menu called it something else), Kheema Mutter (ground beef with peas), Rouafza (a rose flavored milk drink), etc.

+ Finally - A non-veg Indian place in Exton

+ Large space with new furnishings - Seems to be a bit larger than the space in Wayne and not as crowded (maybe because it is new of maybe because it is in the burbs).

+ They have an extensive take-out menu (which I hope to try soon)

The Negatives:

- Inconsistent spices in the food - It was almost as though 2 people with 2 completely different palates had cooked the food. Some of the dishes were bland to the point of not even having any salt in them, while other dishes were "properly spiced" and some were even a bit too salty. I hope that this is a minor glitch that they work out and not an approach they are taking for the american palate. 

- Gaudy decor - <soapbox> I don't know why most Indian restaurants in the US use such gaudy decor, especially when restaurants in India are not that gaudy.</soapbox>

- Slow service - I only wait staff spotted on a Friday afternoon

- Price - Not that it is unreasonable, but I think the $10.95 is a little more than what they charge in Wayne ($8.95?). But I don't mind it if they keep the extra dishes and improve the flavors a bit.

Will have to get take out from there to test it out.

SaxChik, Philadining, (anyone) have you tried this place yet?

i've been a few times since they opened. my reaction is luke warm. the food has been okay, but nothing outstanding.

my litmus test for northern indian restaurants is chicken mahkani. if they do that well, typically all their other food is good.

the chicken mahkani has been so-so. i agree with you on the spices (or lack-thereof). the two times i ordered it, it was rather bland. it's not a highly spiced dish to begin with, but a really good place will incorporate a lot of nuances in the taste.

the service has been kinda poor. they seem to be understaffed. granted, every time i've gone, there haven't been many people in the place. one time, there was one waiter from the wayne restaurant who didn't know where anything was in this restaurant. on the plus side, he was nice enough to take off the indian-rap music that's typically played in there and he put on the beatle's "revolver". he got a bonus in his tip for that. also, two times they gave us free rice pudding for dessert. that was cool.

i REALLY wanted this place to be stellar. it's so nice to have a non-vegetarian indian place so close. unfortunately, their food is on the pricey side for a casual stop by, it's not that great and the dining experience is underwhelming.

i go back every once in a while to see if anything's changed, but as of yet, it hasn't. i'll have to try their lunch buffet sometime. the one in wayne is one of my favorites.

that's my 2 cents.

"The perfect lover is one who turns into pizza at 4am."

Charles Pierce

Went to Kooma in West Chester. The decor of the space is modern and Morimotoish (but toned down). Had some sushi (spicy tuna), sashimi (hamachi) and bibimbap (the hot version). The sushi and sashimi were good, but not outstanding (I prefer the sushi from Margaret Kuos in Wayne and Frazer).

Though I don't claim to be an expert, I thought the bibimbap was very good and next time I will try the seafood version.

Service was OK and overall I will be back to try a few more dishes.

Went to Signature Pastries, which is on Gay st in West Chester, for Brunch. This is a small patisarie, so the brunch options were a frittata on a crossaint, spinach quiche and one other option which currently escapes me. Each of these were served with great home fries and side salad. The bonus is trying their mini desserts and having a great cup of cappuccino.

Edited by percyn (log)

Margaret Kuo's Restaurants (at the the Mandarin) has summer specials that include scallops steamed in their shells and topped with a spicy ginger sauce. I requested them to top mine in a spicy black bean sauce.

gallery_21049_398_38654.jpg

Went for lunch at the Black Lab in Phoenixville and got a Soft Shell Crab Sandwich

gallery_21049_398_1344.jpg

Appologies for the poor quality of the camera phone.

I joined eGullet (as you can see on page one of this thread) to recommend Pace One in Thornton, just outside West Chester.

Our kids had an unanticipated sleepover at a friend's tonight, so we happily took a trek back out to Pace One for the evening. This was the first time I've ever been there in the summer, and the first time I've been back in about 8 months.

I'm sorry to say that based on tonight, I have to rescind my recommendation. It wasn't horrible -- but it wasn't good either. What always appealed to me about this place was that it was in a pseudo-barn out in the country. The atmosphere was casual, but upscale. Going there was an event. And it was all about the food. The menu was unusual with a few core comfort items for the timid. And best of all, it was quietly romantic.

Tonight....well. There was a solo live musical act performing. He was quite good, but given the structure of the building the only way you could hear your dining partner over the music was to sit in the back room. Which is enclosed and hot, with no air circulating (no nice summer breeze through the screens which also carry all the music.) My husband and I had a terrible problem picking anything we wanted to eat. The menu got really boring all of a sudden. Lamb chops. Shrimp scampi. T-bone steak. My husband ended up with chicken marsala and I chose the monkfish diablo. My husband chose the chicken based on the description of the side dishes, and I chose the monkfish because it sounded interesting. It was -- it was hotter than Hades. I expect heat with a diablo, but I do also expect to be able to eat it. This was hotter than Thai meals I've eaten that are rated suicidal. I'm not a wimp and I couldn't taste the fish, AT ALL. Most of it went back to the kitchen.

So that was the food. Add in the folks in the bar area 15 feet away smoking, the drunken woman behind us screaming, the folks strolling through from a private function upstairs dressed in cut-offs and tie-dyed t-shirts, and it wasn't the romantic, relaxing evening with good food I have always had at Pace One.

Maybe they just get a summer vibe going...maybe they've got a new chef...I don't know. But I do know that I wasn't impressed tonight, and I don't want anyone to go there based on my earlier recommendation because I can't stand by it now. We could have gone to the Charcoal Pit on rt. 202 and had a nicer and more pleasant meal.

Also, we arrived at 8pm and left just after 9pm. Rushed much? The hostess left the building just before nine, and more than half of the tables were empty. I'm not sure what that means, but they seemed to be important data points. Again, maybe it's just the summer doldrums. We'll see.

Edited because I can't spell

Edited by Catew (log)

As an FYI- we were at the Black Lab in Phoenixville last night and saw a sign posted that said as of tomorrow they will only be serving dinner 5-10 7 days a week. Don't know why this decision was made, but too bad as we had been there for brunch a few times and enjoyed it very much. Not necessarily a smart move IMHO but then again I don't own the place, so I don't know the background.

Luckily we've got Nudy's now and I think they do brunch at The Columbia. Guess they will benefit from the runoff from the Black Lab!

<a href='http://retroroadmap.com' target='_blank'>Retro Roadmap - All the Retro, Vintage and Cool Old places worth visiting!</a>

hey, i have a question for all you chester county people ...

where do you think is the best place to get italian food? i'm spoiled cause my mom lives in NJ and i get my fix at tarantella's in marlton, which, IMHO, is AMAZING italian.

i'm talking big plates of pasta, kickin red sauce, a great marsala. i've been to allegria in exton and basil in malvern, and they were good, but more fancy than "mama's kitchen" type food.

i've lived in exton for 10 years and i have yet to find really great italian. maybe you know someplace i don't.

Charles Pierce

When I lived in Thorndale, Il Coppa on Rte 30 just east of Rte 340 had homey kickass Italian food, and I ate there a lot to take care of my red gravy fix.

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

When I lived in Thorndale, Il Coppa on Rte 30 just east of Rte 340 had homey kickass Italian food, and I ate there a lot to take care of my red gravy fix.

i've driven past, now i'll have to stop in! thanks!

Charles Pierce

Charles Pierce

Charles Pierce

Charles Pierce

OK

OK

OK

OK

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Hmmm...went in there once a few years ago and the food did not look too appetizing, so I did not try it...will give it a shot now.

I've been reading for a few years now, but this is my first post. I really like Allegria and while they do offer some "fancier" specials, I think the menu is very much like that of a trattoria. The last time we were there I just had a pasta with red sauce and thought how nice it is to have a neighborhood place that does simple dishes well. The time before that I had a veal chop with a mushroom sauce that was so good I am still thinking about it.

ETA: Apparently I've posted twice before- they weren't memorable posts, I guess. :wacko:

Edited by Natasha (log)

I went back to Teinda Alquisiras 735 Lincoln Hwy Coatesville PA 610 380-9501 for some Hoja Santa and other goodies and decided to stop in again at the restaurant that had the delicious bbq lamb tacos.

Sorry for the lack of pictures the camera is with my daughter and my cell pictures were a blurry mess.

I purchased a number of things to sample for lunch, taking home half for the wife to try.

2 carnitas tacos hot and moist with cilantro, lime pieces and chopped onion. It came with a stinging salsa verde tasty with bright flavors. The red sauce was spicy with good chili flavor with just a touch of smoke. Both made the tacos stand out.

A tostada with chicken en mole. Very tasty topped with crumbled cheese and lettuce. I really loved this one.

Last was a quesadilla con Chicharron. I have been reading a lot of Diana Kennedy lately which prompted me to try this dish. It had really good flavor! I was suprized. Mouth feel, the soft pork skin was an unexpected sensation but not a bad one. tomatoes and chilis and cheese rounded the dish out. Rice and Beans were served on the side. The beans were good. The rice, feh. It was rice.

The staff is helpful and nice.

All of the above $10.11. Now that's a deal. Its a bit of a drive for me but since I like the market, which has now expanded, I will be back soon.

There was also a little restaurant on the left side of lancaster ave heading east in Coatesville after the VA that looks interesting. It is called rice & beans. I will have to check that out as well.

edited because the first post was rushed and I can't spell.

Edited by handmc (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

• 2 weeks later...
The owner Michael Persons, an Austrian born chef, and his wife would be crushed to hear of the slip in quality. I had some business dealings with Mike and he is obseesed with trying to please people. You should call and ask for him and give him a heads up. Get him talking about food and you are in for a very interesting conversation. We used to get side tracked talking food and restaurants resulting in our appointments running much longer than either had ever expected. He is heck of a nice guy.

He is at the Ship Inn during most of the day, with his wife running DK. Both are very hands on. It would be worth the call to keep the place on track. Sounds like the new chef needs a little fine tuning.

i had my wedding at DK on august 26th. i had 18 people total and we ordered ala carte off the menu. they gave us the terrace room (the "porch" area upstairs), which had a lovely view of the gardens. both the food and the servers were delightful. everyone was raving and quite full. overall, it was an excellent experience.

i haven't been to DK for a regular 2-person dinner in a while, but i was not at all disappointed with the party.

Charles Pierce

Congratulations!

Glad to here you had a nice time and good food.

Edited by handmc (log)

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren

SaxChik, congratz on your wedding...good luck !!

Since I was in the area and it being labor day and all, I went to the Charcoal Pit in Wilmington, DE.

gallery_21049_162_27766.jpg

Ordered a medium 8oz cheeseburger with onions

gallery_21049_162_35254.jpg

Glad to see they make it to order

gallery_21049_162_17887.jpg

Also ordered a vanilla shake, which is made at the counter by the shake guy.

gallery_21049_162_59545.jpg

gallery_21049_162_50639.jpg

Congratulations on your wedding!! I wish you both every happiness!

Nice to hear that D-K is still doing a good job. Especially for such a special occasion! :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol