• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

20-quart mixers

brownbetty

:biggrin: Hi all! I'm purchasing a 20 QT tabletop mixer for a new restaurant. Any thoughts on the brands Globe, Varimixer, Univex, & Dito? Have mostly used Hobart equipment but in this case, to go Hobart is double the price. Any thoughts & experiences much appreciated!

Welcome to eg. Brownbetty.

I'm sorry, I can't offer you a comparision as I've always had a hobart for my 20 qt. mixer. The only thing I wanted to mention is to ask around about repairs and replacement parts too because eventually those will be a factor in how happy you are with your mixer. I know that when one of my mixers are down for repairs it feels like an eternity until it's up and running again. With my hobarts it's usually only a day or two for the repairman to get the parts needed to fix my machine. So I think theres more to consider in addition to initial cost.

:biggrin: Hi all! I'm purchasing a 20 QT tabletop mixer for a new restaurant. Any thoughts on the brands Globe, Varimixer, Univex, & Dito? Have mostly used Hobart equipment but in this case, to go Hobart is double the price. Any thoughts & experiences much appreciated!

Thank you Wendy! That's quite helpful!

Hobart is the only brand!

"Chocolate has no calories....

Chocolate is food for the soul, The soul has no weight, therefore no calories" so said a customer, a lovely southern woman, after consuming chocolate indulgence

SWEET KARMA DESSERTS

www.sweetkarmadesserts.com

550 East Meadow Ave. East meadow, NY 11554

516-794-4478

Brian Fishman

I have used Globe, Univex and Hobart. I liked the Hobart best. It had the least amount of trouble and was way easier to get fixed. PLus, i just liked the power it had over the other two.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Indisputably, the Hobart is a proven workhorse. However, you may want to consider another machine for purchase: The lower price & broader warranty on the Berkel PM20 Mixer are more favorable to that offered by Hobart. (The gear drive is built exactly like the Hobart’s.)

Clearly presented comparison of stats for various, tabletop, commercial planetary mixers.

Edited by Redsugar (log)

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

I finally remembered to look at my mixer for you today. I use a Univex at work. It's acceptable, sometimes it sticks a little when it first fires up and the crank to adjust speed is a little rough. It has an infintely variable speed, unlike the Hobart I used on my externship which had only three settings. I don't do much that's hard with it--I have started pizza dough but I pull it out and finish it by hand when it starts to strain the engine, and I think that's the only motor problem I've really seen.

I've been using this mixer since January when I started my job, and I have not yet needed repairs, so I can't speak to the repairability of the machine. But it does work well for me so far, FWIW. I assume it's several years old but don't have any confirmation.

• 1 month later...

right before Thanksgiving my 20 qt Hobart mixer decides to die on me. just great, really convenient....so now I must find a new one. I can't afford a brand new Hobart. I am shopping around town at used equipment places, but am also looking at leasing. My questions to you fine peeps here at EG, anyone have any tips on good leasing companies? any experience with Globe, Berkel, Spar or Thunderbird? all feedback appreciated!!

Thanks and happy pie making to all!

Melissa McKinney

Chef/Owner Criollo Bakery

mel@criollobakery.com

Depending on your location, you might want to check out this one:

Hobart.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have not had good experiences with ebay for equipment. I bought a 20 qt mixer from a local person (meaning it was just far enough away so I could drive there to pick it up. Had to rely on the photo because it was too far to drive just to look and make a bid). Anyway, the mixer I eventually got (I bought it in Feb and between the weather and the seller behaving badly, I didn't get it for another 5 months) didn't look like the photo and the seller had taken it apart for "cleaning" and put it back together the wrong way. And I had to get a mover to go get it. Moral of the story is to buy stuff you can see and test first so ebay could work if you can get to the seller to see it before you commit.

My father bought a 30 qt from a restaurant supply place in Florida on ebay. When the mixer arrived it hadn't even been cleaned, yet it was sold "like new" and this was from a "reputable firm". It was in pretty rough shape IMHO and I would have replaced the bowl (badly dented), whip (missing more than a few wires) and beater (cracked).

There's lots of ads in the back of Modern Baking for suppliers that might be helpful.

Are you on any of the local auction mailing lists? The caterer I share space with gets a monthy postcard of all upcoming auctions in the area so this might be a good option. The only bright spot is you just need the mixer, not the attachments if you go with another Hobart....

Wull, interesting. Jeanne I'm sorry 'bout all that. I bought a commercial oven & a brand new KA mixer, that KA serviced no problem-o - I've only been bit once on ebay & that was for jewelry - but it is gut-wrenching when that happens.

Wull, I will keep checking & if I see something good in your area, I will let you know. I love to look for mixers...

Edited by K8memphis (log)

Are there any auctions coming up? I once saw a two month old, 10 burner Viking stove go for less than $500 because nobody wanted it. Yeah, it can be a real time eater but it's a possibility.

Lastly, and this is a real stretch, but do you know any salvage guys? My wife's dad has a salvage company and he scored us a stove, hood and a 20 qt mixer. Sometimes it'll go to auction and sometimes it's easier for the owner to just gut the building. They'll make a deal with a salvage crew in which they gut the contents for x amount of dollars. So refrigeration units, any and all fixtures and in some cases equipment all go at once. Grocery stores often do this when they go under. It's just easier for them.

There have also been times where the business was so behind in their bills that they just skip town. We got a credit card machine that way -- the owner of the building just wanted stuff gone. He sold it to us for $15.

I feel for you. Good luck!

I have purchased several items from FEW (Food Equipment Warehouse) and have always been treated well.

They post their phone number so call them 888-277-6070 and ask about the mixer.

I was given the number by a friend in Virginia who bought a Pizza oven from them long before I even knew they had an ebay store.

They are a company that specializes in commercial equipment, not a fly-by-night outfit.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

How about big Tray?

Another of my favorite on-line vendors. Got my first induction range from them.

Also most of my bread pans, especially the pullman pans which they have for much less than anywhere else.

• 2 weeks later...

Mel, how's the mixer search going???

Wull, like I said I love to look for mixers on ebay, aheh. And a funny thing happened when I was minding my own business :rolleyes: looking for one for you in Portland area, aheh. Wull I found one in Nashville - local pickup only. If anyone had bid $10 more they coulda had it.

I'm looking at it, Dudette <<<<< it's right over there on my left like three feet away - it's beeautiful!!!!!!!! I cahhnt' believe it!!!!!!!!! So while I truly hate that yours went out...a particle of silver lining is peaking out over here several thousand miles away.

Need to get my computer issues resolved and cake web site up....just any minute here...and not trying to hijack your post...Hope you get that resolved real soon if not already.

:biggrin:

:laugh:

• 8 months later...

great, thanks..i will keep all my post in this thread.

i guess my first purchase is going to be a 20qt mixer. ive been checking the ones on ebay, but i really dont know what to look for. i will be primarily using the mixer for some cakes and corn bread, and maybe later mess around with cinnamon rolls and some bread.

suggestions?

Ask away.

And happy 100th post. :smile:

i will keep all my posts in this thread

no, it's best if you discuss particular equipment in separate threads--and do a search for previous discussion threads on the items you're interested in, mixers, ranges, etc and after reading them, maybe adding a post onto them. good luck with your purchases, begin with a Hobart.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com