• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brave Bull

DameD

I have driven by this place a million times "Brave Bull" on Hastings and Clark and have never been in.. has anyone.. please tell all about your seedy east van dining experiences.. I went to Mustang Sallys by renfrew and Hastings (now closed) and am sure we ate ribs that were human or something and definitely not beef or pork.. very strange indeed.. the bonus of this place is that we could bargain for the beer.. it was that type of night of adventures..

:cool:

DANIELLE

"One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well."

-Virginia Woolf

I visited quite a few months ago and wrote a brief writeup of said steakhouse.

brave bull blurb

"The Brave Bull smelled like a chinese family's east vancouver basement. Those of you unfamiliar with this smell are missing out. It's not an offensive smell, just an odd one for a restaurant. The decor was definitely unmodern; not that I'll let that stop me from enjoying a good meal."

I should have ordered a cut I enjoy more than filet (let's talk ribeye), but it fit the situation. Maybe I'll drop in again for dinner sometime.

My grandparents used to hang out there in the 60's and she says it hasn't changed since. My grandpa was the guy you used to see wearing the Plaid polyester pants, the bright shiny polyester shirt, open to the navel with the giant medallion and huge diamond ring. He dressed like that well into his sixties, so whenever I see that place I think of men that look like my grandpa and women with giant beehives and painted on eyebrows (my grandma back in the day. she's very normal now)

I haven't thought about that place in years. I lived just a stone's throw from there on East Pender back when I met my wife.

Poked my nose in there once, thought about it, and decided I was more in the mood for a bowl of soup at On Lok (or was it Penny's? dunno). Geez, that's almost 20 years now. Holy crap, time flies...

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

whats so seedy about the place? the area, well then surely pink pearl would be equally guilty. the decor ? no more grungy than many a fine resto in chinatown, even when you consider both it ain't much different from a whole-in-wall place on the drive where it might be considered an alluring feature