• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

NJ Ingredient help! Hazelnut paste

richl2214

Looking for a specialty store in Northern NJ that carries hazelnut paste. Looking so far without any luck. Too late to mail order now. Any ideas?

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Depending on what you need it for....you can always buy Nutella (if it's available to you) and substitute it. Or you can tweak the recipe and do almond paste which seems to be more available.

Thanks but it's hazelnut paste or bust. :cool:

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Could you give us a bit more detail?

The name of the paste in the language of the cuisine you need it for could be more helpful than you might think - for example.

The recipe helps too.

Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure that the Hungarian shop in New Brunswick (somebody here can help me with the name!) has it so other Eastern European places farther north might have it too.

I understand how tough this is! I'm having trouble finding quality fresh hazelnuts...

Brian Yarvin

My Webpage

It's called for in a recipe for hazelnut cake, Italian style. 1/4 cup of hazelnut paste. The Italian specialty shops around me have only Nutella which will not do in this recipe. Neither will almond paste because I am allergic to almonds(but not hazelnuts).

Rich, I see you're in Nutley...have you tried any of the markets in Lyndhurst? Pietro's (corner of Kingsland and Ridge Rd) or the one that's one block further south from there might have it. If you go up Kingsland to Ridge, Pietro's is on the corner on your left at the light. I can't remember the name of the other place I'm thinking of, but when you get to Ridge, turn right, and it's about 2 blocks down on the left and has a green awning. There's a Gulf station across the street.

Your other option might be to call a few of the bakeries in the area, i.e. Mazur's or the Lyndhurst Bake Shop (which I think is more Italian). And/or some of the shops in Hoboken might help, i.e. Vito's. Worth calling...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Thanks Curlz, I will check them out tomorrow and LYK how I made out!

Why not make your own? It isn't difficult.

Put half a cup of lightly roasted and skinned hazelnuts in a 2-cup pyrex container, add water to cover

microwave for 2-3 minutes, depending on how powerful your oven.

Add 3 tablespoons sugar. Microwave for an additional 3 minutes.

Set aside and allow to cool. Test a nut by squeezing between your thumb and index finger.

If it is soft and crushable, it is ready.

If not microwave for additional 1 minute intervals until a nut is the right consistency. Old nuts will take longer than fresh.

Then crush to paste in a mortar or pulse in a mini processor. A variable-speed blender will work but you have to be careful to pulse it a few seconds at a time and mix it with a rubber spatula between pulses so the blender won't stall.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've seen Whole Foods make nut butters out of non-peanuts. Maybe they can help you...

Or just get some of their fresh honey roasted peanut butter....mmmm

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Put half a cup of lightly roasted and skinned hazelnuts in a 2-cup pyrex container, add water to cover

Got any tips on skinning hazelnuts? I tried it once and after a few hours I just gave up. With a substantial amount of labor I can get 90% of the skins off, but that last 10% just won't budge. And for something like hazelnut paste - they need to be completely skinless.

If I'm not mistaken, the recommended method is to roast them for a while, then dump them on to a clean kitchen towel and rub them like crazy; the skin comes right off. Then again, I don't really bake, so who knows if I actually saw or read about this or if I'm making it up...? :blink:

The funny thing is, I was going to suggest to Rich that if he can't find the paste, he go on the Cooking or Baking thread and ask if it's easy to make! Seems like andiesenji was one step ahead of me.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

This was discussed in detail in this topic.

Which includes my suggestion of using exfoliating gloves on DRY roasted hazelnuts and on blanched almonds that have retained some of their skins.

When dry the skins just flake away.

After roasting, you allow them to cool just a bit then rub between your palms. The raspy surface of the gloves is enough to clean them quite well and I have never had a problem.

If you steam or boil the nuts to blanch them, you have to wear rubber gloves under the exfoliating gloves or risk a scald.

You can also buy skinned hazelnuts - they are available at the local middle eastern grocery where I shop, prepackaged, so I assume other stores would also carry them.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Looking for a specialty store in Northern NJ that carries hazelnut paste.  Looking so far without any luck. Too late to mail order now.  Any ideas?

Try Harry Wils & Co. in Secaucus (food distributor). They carry a wide variety of pastry products and chocolates. They have a cash and carry policy for "small" purchases.

Looking for a specialty store in Northern NJ that carries hazelnut paste.  Looking so far without any luck. Too late to mail order now.  Any ideas?

Try Harry Wils & Co. in Secaucus (food distributor). They carry a wide variety of pastry products and chocolates. They have a cash and carry policy for "small" purchases.

Well I had no luck and ended up making it myself, and I must say it came out fantastic.

1/2 pound Hazelnuts skinned by boiling with baking soda and roasted until golden

Put in food processor and pulse until mealy

add 1 cup of powdered sugar

1 tablespoon of Frangelico liquer

2 large egg whites

pulse until paste forms

The result is heaven

Edited by richl2214 (log)