• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Sidecar

kvltrede

Outrigger- I like the name. Jeff Berry was the one who came up with it (see what Robert Hess wrote here).

This weekend I tried the Pourring Ribbons version of the Sidecar and it is fabulous. Absolutely spot on.

2 oz Pierre Ferrand 1840 cognac, 3/4 oz Pierre Ferrand dry curacao, 3/4 oz lemon juice, 1/2 tsp demerara syrup, dash orange bitters (I used a mix of Fee and Regan's).

There is a video with Joaquin Simo (and Melissa Clark) if you follow the link, but strangely he does not use the orange bitters in it.

10372258276_3e5704efe9_z.jpg

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

• 3 weeks later...

Outrigger- I like the name. Jeff Berry was the one who came up with it (see what Robert Hess wrote here).

These Outrigger proportions are quite different from the classic Sidecar proportions Berry lists in Remixed (p40):

3/4 oz fresh lemon juice

3/4 oz triple-sec

1 1/2 oz gold Barbados rum

Hess (from the link FrogPrincesse gave):

1/2 oz lemon juice

1 oz Cointreau

2 oz rum

Thoughts? Or do I have to go buy some lemons to find out?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

For reference, the ratios for the XYZ above were 3:2:1 with 1.5 oz aged rum, 1 oz Cointreau, and 0.5 oz lemon juice.

I'd say make all three and report...

"FrogPrincesse: encouraging you to drink not so responsibly"

:biggrin:

For reference, the ratios for the XYZ above were 3:2:1 with 1.5 oz aged rum, 1 oz Cointreau, and 0.5 oz lemon juice.

I'd say make all three and report...

Encouraging you to drink socially... Invite a couple of friends and compare your impressions!

;-)

Edited by FrogPrincesse (log)

• 4 months later...

Tonight is my first sidecar, sorry it took so long to report back:

2 oz Pierre Ferrand 1840

3/4 oz Cointreau

1 oz lemon juice

This is wonderful.  Proportions are just right.

I just tried a

2 oz Pierre Ferrand 1840

1/4 oz Cointreau

1 oz lemon juice

A bit too tart for my taste but still a satisfying drink.

I just tried a

2 oz Pierre Ferrand 1840

1/4 oz Cointreau

1 oz lemon juice

A bit too tart for my taste but still a satisfying drink.

My suggestion is not to worry about the amounts when you are mixing sours - go by flavour.  You can adjust and keep track of the amount to find what you like, but even then, your citrus will vary and could need adjustment.  I aim to be compulsive about taste, not round numbers.

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

• 3 weeks later...

2 oz Pierre Ferrand 1840

3/4 oz Cointreau

7/8 oz lemon juice (don't ask)

Not bad, but I think I still like 1/2 oz Cointreau the best.

I don't make many sidecars, but taking the BarSmarts course and browsing through Essential Cocktails by DeGroff, I thought I'd make a classic tonight.

10006295_10100145180668941_3233513233601

I noticed that both Regan and Bartender's Choice both have the same ratio for a Sidecar (3:2:1) so I thought I'd give it a go

1.5 oz Ferrand 1840

1 oz Cointreau (seems a bit insane!)

.5 oz lemon

Sugared rim, being a traditionalist and all...

To my surprise, sugared rim aside, it is not a particularly sweet drink. I guess Cointreau is not nearly as sweet as simple syrup, and there is a distinct tart, even bitter quality from the lemon. Overall pretty good, though I think a 8:3:3 ratio might give it the kick that this lacks.

I don't make many sidecars, but taking the BarSmarts course and browsing through Essential Cocktails by DeGroff, I thought I'd make a classic tonight.

10006295_10100145180668941_3233513233601

I noticed that both Regan and Bartender's Choice both have the same ratio for a Sidecar (3:2:1) so I thought I'd give it a go

1.5 oz Ferrand 1840

1 oz Cointreau (seems a bit insane!)

.5 oz lemon

Sugared rim, being a traditionalist and all...

To my surprise, sugared rim aside, it is not a particularly sweet drink. I guess Cointreau is not nearly as sweet as simple syrup, and there is a distinct tart, even bitter quality from the lemon. Overall pretty good, though I think a 8:3:3 ratio might give it the kick that this lacks.

Also worth remembering Cointreau is 40% abv so you may also find the bitterness emphasised by that in some way, though more likely it's the bitter orange peel. Usually I'll cut down on the Cointreau a little and compensate for sweetness with a small dash of gomme. Works doubly well if there's some orange blossom water in the syrup.

I thought the sugared rim was only for the Brandy Crusta and not the Sidecar.

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

• 1 month later...

Well, with lemons in house I finally tried an outrigger:

2 oz Appleton 12 (since my dealer is now stocking it)

3/4 oz Cointreau

1/2 oz lemon juice

Not bad at all but I should try Berry's origninal formulation before I make up my mind.

OK, now for Berry's proportions:

2 oz Pusser's (Berry calls out Barbados rum)

1 oz Cointreau

1 oz lemon juice

Pusser's may or may not have been exactly what Berry had in mind but Pusser's is the only Barbados rum I currently have on the shelf.  Too much Cointreau here in my opinion.  But if someone offered me one I would not complain too much.