• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Sidecar

kvltrede

Despite what it says on the bottle, Pusser's is most definitely NOT a Barbados rum (see here http://rumproject.com/rumforum/viewtopic.php?t=1090).  Pusser's is much more intense than any Barbados rum, which tend to be dry, balanced, and even delicate in a way Pusser's, with its pot stilled Demerara grooviness, is not. 

Mt Gay Eclipse is a decent cocktail rum when Barbados is called for, but with unlimited budget, try Mt Gay 1703

Edited by Hassouni (log)
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I was interviewing the Executive Director of  local Chamber of Commerce, and I discovered that her favorite cocktail was the sidecar. Dedicated researcher that I am, I knew I needed to try one. It was amazing. And, I was further amazed to see that it did not have a thread on eG :shock: So...here I am to remedy that situation. And to ask: What is your favorite variation on this drink?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/56110-the-sidecar/

I like PF 1840, Cointreau, lemon juice.

Edit:

2 oz Pierre Ferrand 1840

3/4 oz Cointreau

1 oz lemon juice

Edited by JoNorvelleWalker (log)
  • Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

• 4 weeks later...