• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SEA - Dinner at Rocking Wok

I'd like to try and organize a dinner at Rocking Wok, seating is not really limited unless you count a cap of about 30 to be limiting. :biggrin: So the more the merrier. Would you guys prefer before or after the holiday season? Any requests? What price range is comfortable? They are very willing to put together a menu that will satisfy any budget and desire, especially for the "weird" stuff.

Rocky

Hey Rocky,

Great seeing you and your significant (I am sorry but I have forgotten her name) at the Bourdain dinner. I would love to join your group for the event whenever you deceide to have it if it. I have been curious about this place since you first mentioned it at the Salumi lunch. I was thinking then that wouldn't it be great if Rocky organized something and you have.

I am not sure that I am as adventurous at you and the rest of eG folks re: "wierd" stuff. Sometimes I have problems with eating animal internal organs and facial parts such as ears but I have been raised to at least try a bite before refusing to eat any more. With eG folks, this should be fun. Good luck with trying to figure out when to do this. I will make every effort to be there. Sincerely, White Lotus

Thanks for suggesting this Rocky. I would love to be part of a group dinner. Rockin' Wok is very close to my house but we have never eaten in the dining room, always ordered delivery. Also, I have pretty much stuck to the items Mamster highlighted in his review of the place so I am excited to try new things. I'm with White Lotus on the "weird" stuff. I'll ty anything once but reserve judgement :raz:

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Sounds like fun to me depending on the schedule--things are already filling up fast during the holidays-yipes! I've been wanting to try this place since I heard about it, but haven't gotten around to it.

Jan

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

This sounds fun - do you have in mind during the week or on the weekend? Weekends are getting alittle booked for me from now to xmas, but during the week is fine. I'm always up for trying anything "weird" but not that I'd want to gross out White Lotus! I'm totally unfamiliar with this place so bring it on. :biggrin:

Why don't you suggest some dates?

What kind of dishes do they have there?

Can you list some that you have tried?

Here's a link to Matthew's review (hopefully you can read this without registration). I especially enjoyed their wonderful fried breads, and they have all sorts of delicious Taiwanese dishes. I've been hoping Rocky would put a group together ever since he described past Rocking Wok banquets when we met at Salumi this summer. Whatever date you choose, Matthew and I will try to be there. We're pretty flexible except for Christmas/New Year's week.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

What kind of dishes do they have there?

Can you list some that you have tried?

Thanks!

It's a Taiwanese restaurant, so there's a lot of chinese standards to go along with the specialties. Like Laurie said the fried breads are good, they have steamed bowl cakes, Taiwanese meatballs, Tainan style chow mein, they make their own dumplings and wontons from scratch, stews, chicken rolls, there's also a definite szechuan influence to the cooking as well. Oh, they may have the best salt and pepper chicken around too.

Rocky

Thursdays in January are good for me. Thank you so much for organizing this.

Jan

Seattle, WA

"But there's tacos, Randy. You know how I feel about tacos. It's the only food shaped like a smile....A beef smile."

--Earl (Jason Lee), from "My Name is Earl", Episode: South of the Border Part Uno, Season 2

I'm curious: are their scallion cakes thick & crispy fried like potsticker bottoms or more like a soft crepe with scallions in the batter or some other happy variation ???

I admit to being less adventurous when it comes to Asian cuisines in general, but I could eat just scallion cakes for dinner & walk away happy :rolleyes:

Count me in for any thursday in January!

Eden

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

I'm curious: are their scallion cakes thick & crispy fried like potsticker bottoms or more like a soft crepe with scallions in the batter or some other happy variation ???

They are more thick and crispy fried. Yum. As Laurie A-B and Rocky said, all their breads are great. I love the Thousand Layer Pancake.

Oh, and the salt and pepper pork.

And the duck.

My stomach is growling :laugh:

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Okay, January 13th at 730~800 PM and the list of people going so far looks like:

LEDlund

White Lotus

Little Ms Foodie +1

LaurieA-B and Mamster

SeaGal

Eden

Sequim

Malarkey - ?

BastilaShan - ?

Any specific requests for food? After talking with the owner, he's talking about a Traditional Taiwanese Banquet (he spoke in capitals :smile: ), or we can put together our own menu. Anyone else who wants to go or has suggestions or requests just PM me back or post below. Thanks.

Rocky