• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Curious dunking habits

Fresser

At the movies: Charms lime lollipop into fountain Dr. Pepper. It must be that combination only.

Buttered french bread into rich, dark gumbo.

And all the usual suspects.

Edited by patti (log)

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I'm not a dunker, but my sister's Australian friend just introduced us to Tim Tams and "Tim Tam Slam." Quite addictive, I must say.

Tim Tam Slam

The TTS is crack! My next door neighbor got us hooked on that. Recently found some mint creme filled Tim Tams, I'll bet those will be good, too!

While I'm trying to remember what else I like to dunk, I'll offer this -- I have observed my sister (on quite a few occasions) dunking french fries into her hot fudge sundae and/or chocolate milkshakes. Hot salty into cold sweet combo! :blink::rolleyes:

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

Dang, JetLag, that sounds good! I have to admit saying to hell with lactose intolerance once a year, and getting shoestring fries and a vanilla malted milk. Sizzling hot fries are best. Yum..

My dad ate homecanned tomatoes with sugar on them and dunked johhnycake in them, but I suppose that's not weird.

Hi, I'm Bob, and I'm a dunker. I dunk or dip many things into other things. I'm even teaching my daughter the proper ways to dunk various food items. Like:

all kinds of cookies (especially Oreos and chocolate chips) have to be dunked either in milk or coffee

pretzel sticks in vanilla ice cream, or better yet Teaberry ice cream!

my mom's buttermilk chocolate cake is always, always consumed by dunking a fork full into a cup of milk

TastyKakes have to be dunked

sandwiches in soup, especially grilled cheese in tomato

Fritos Scoops are made to be dipped! Do it! Dip em in tuna salad, cottage cheese, and chili especially, who needs a spoon!?

cornbread in beans or chili

fries in cream gravy

and the list goes on! There, I feel so much better now that my secret has been revealed. :laugh:

Bob R in OKC

Home Brewer, Beer & Food Lover!

My summer in Cuba was a lesson in improvisation to make things palatable... remember, there is a food shortage there if you're not a tourist...

For breakfast they served us thin, crunchy toast, cold, which I spread with a thick layer of (unmelted) butter, and dipped in strong, sweet cafe cubano.

A couple of mornings, we were really lucky to have bananas and honey...so I would butter my cold toast, smoosh banana slices on it, and dip it in honey. These two breakfast were probably the most delicious things I ate while there...

What was not delicious was the ubiquitous dippable dessert of rubbery "government cheese" and guava baby-food-like puree.

One time my friends and I were eating at the La Madeline in Georgetown. I was eating a roasted chicken and having some bread and jam on the side. The chicken was dry and bland...the strawberry jam was right next to it...

I'm sure I grossed out some people but oddly enough, it tasted like a poor man's sweet and sour chicken! :raz:

I dip squares of dark chocolate into peanut butter -- I've even been known to do that with chocolate chips, which is difficult but it can be done.

When using chocolate chips, it's easiest to get a shallow spoonful of the peanut butter, then dot the chips on top. Don't ask how I know :wink:

Actually, dunking an empty spoon into a jar of peanut butter to coat the spoon, then rolling it in chocolate chips is the easiest way.

Not that I've tried it or anything. :biggrin:

Misa

Sweet Misa

Crusty bread chunks into red wine.

:wacko: Reminds me too much of Communion :laugh:

Dang, JetLag, that sounds good! I have to admit saying to hell with lactose intolerance once a year, and getting shoestring fries and a vanilla malted milk. Sizzling hot fries are best. Yum..

Glad to read this! My son tried this when he was about 5 (although with soft-serve ice cream instead). Damn if it weren't tastey! I thought I was wierd.

A.

hokay, first off, reading this reminds me of how much i love you people. jesus. mcdonalds french fries in vanilla milkshake. sounds like dinner to me!

also, a 'recipe' from my youth:

6 chips ahoy choc chip cookies

cold whole milk

put cookies in mug, pour over lots of milk to cover, soak, then smoosh. eat chips first and then savor delicious, runny, grainy cookie/milk liquid with spoon.

bonus points: chewy chips ahoy for a different taste sensation, more elastic, less grainy, with roof-of-mouth-coating waxy cookie flavor buildup. uhhhh (droool)

other favorites:

hot buttered garlic bread in progresso white clam sauce heated with chili flakes, sprinkle each piece of bread with cheese.

anything meaty and seared dipped in that frozen boil-in-bag creamed spinach

Celery into peanut butter, pretzles into ice cream, grill cheese into ketchup, toast into soft boiled eggs.

One of the more slothy moves is when i go to chicago. I order gino's east and often find myself because of there lack of sauce, dipping their thin crust pizza into blue cheese.

My favorite, bread into really kicked up cocktail sauce.

Edited by Daniel (log)

pizza crust into nacho cheese sauce, when ordering from papa johns, but they provide the sauce for you to do this. order the nacho cheese sauce instead of the garlic sauce they provide automatically.

biscotti in green tea?

I love cold Dinty Moore beef stew. It is like dog food! And I am like a dog.

--NeroW

An old favorite for me is definitely grilled cheese in whatever soup I'm having, tomato works best. Comfort food - I think I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow.

Another odd one I haven't done in years is Fritos in milk and yes I would drink the salty milk after as long as it wasn't too warm.

A Spanish student , Anna, staying at my house. On the first morning took her individual portion of cornflakes and poured her cup of coffee over it. a sort of reverse dunking :biggrin:

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.

OOOH!  I almost forgot!  I like to dunk buttered toast into hot chocolate!  Makes the toast taste so good and the butter leaves a little oil slick on the hot chocolate!

I make my hot chocolate with butter.. So i hear ya, its a good thing.

Edited by Daniel (log)