• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Curious dunking habits

Fresser

Don't ask me why, but co-workers give me funny looks when I dunk oatmeal bread into my Diet Cherry Coke. :hmmm: I can't eat donuts or pastries due to diabetes, so I make up for it by submerging the occasional waffle or roll into my sody pop.

This gets me wondering: what other items to eGulleteers like to dunk? And do people think you're weird for submerging your snacks?

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

Hmm, colleagues giving one grief is reason enough for personal offices. Screw the cubicle concept! :shock:

My favorite dunking combo is sour cream and onion potato chips into lemon yogurt. And yes, everyone thinks it's strange.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Only in the privacy of my own home, when I am alone, and the blinds are closed:

Any kind of sandwich into any kind of soup.

A cheese and onion sandwich dunked in a cup of OXO.

Any kind of cookie into coffee or milk.

Toast soldiers into runny egg.

There's more but I think I have a psychological block about them. :shock:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

BTW, I also like to dunk challah into soup (chicken soup is the best). Blovie always screams at me when I do this, because according to him "it's a waste of fresh challah." Personally, I think that's one of the reasons it tastes so damn good.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

BTW, I also like to dunk challah into soup (chicken soup is the best).  Blovie always screams at me when I do this, because according to him "it's a waste of fresh challah."  Personally, I think that's one of the reasons it tastes so damn good.

I absolutely love challah torn up in small chunks and dunked in my chicken soup, bloviatrix ... it is God's purpose for challah! :wink:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

The summer before last, I stayed at a friend's house for a week. There I tried those 'eggo' waffle-dealies.

I dipped mine in milk. YUM.

Otherwise, rather acoustic-tiley.

Remembering this, I'm actually pondering buying some....

:hmmm:

the tall drink of water...

Baked Lay's plain potato chips into tuna salad - crispy, gooey, salty, sweet

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Buttered bread in Lea and Perrins. A favorite since I was about 10 years old.

Most friends already know that I have eclectic appetites so my snack doesn't shock them.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

Freshmade tortillas in anything, especially salsa verde and cheese. Grilled cheese sand. in tomato soup. All kinds of stuff. One cold, or hot,and slurpy. The other dry. Place together and stand back.

OOOH, I just thought of a Mexican one that's fantastic: soupy black or pintos all over fresh tortillas. There's a mexican dish that's like a reverse enchilada that is too good! Most places call them enfrijoladas.Like a smothered tortilla, I reckon.

A co-worker of mine from Serbia gave me a small tin of pate from his homeland yesterday. One of the listed ingredients was "fatty pork tissue". Yum!!! I dipped Fritos in it and ate about a tablespoon or so of it. Kinda bland, but definitely had that distinctive fatty pork tissue taste we all know and love!

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

I dip squares of dark chocolate into peanut butter -- I've even been known to do that with chocolate chips, which is difficult but it can be done.

I dip squares of dark chocolate into peanut butter -- I've even been known to do that with chocolate chips, which is difficult but it can be done.

When using chocolate chips, it's easiest to get a shallow spoonful of the peanut butter, then dot the chips on top. Don't ask how I know :wink:

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”

Ciao,

the ultimate dunk 'surprise'...when you first drop one of your favorite cookies into the milk - and let it sink to the bottom (or help it) - and then continue dunking and eating the rest, like you normally do - then. when all done (sad) and you drink the milk, you end up with the smooshiest, yummiest cookie - ahh - i love great endings (but you will always need a bit more liwuid to cleanse the palate!)

Ore

When using chocolate chips, it's easiest to get a shallow spoonful of the peanut butter, then dot the chips on top. Don't ask how I know :wink:

One of the girls who works in my office has a flat wood spoon-shaped implement that is dipped into peanut butter then into a mixture of semi-sweet chocolate chips and toffee chips.

She says the combination of flavors and crunchy bits is heavenly.

Actually, I think the wood thing was once in the middle of a Dove icecream bar.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I dip cornbread into bean soup. (Southern type cornbread, the dense, all corn stuff.)

I do dip regular French or similar firm crust breads into other soups and stews but I don't think that is so unusual.

The chips I dip into cottage cheese (and it has to be large curd) are the barbecue wavy Lays or Masterpiece barbecue.

I roast steak fries (the ones with the skins on) until they are quite dark and have a crusty surface, seasoned with a spicy, salty mixture. Then dip them in sour cream mixed with chives or scallions.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Oh Holy Moly this is like a food confession - :shock:

Ruffles into macaroni salad - heavenly!!!

pretzel sticks into ice cream - pant pant

french fries into mayo

steak into mayo

and

when

really

desperate and naughty

finger into mayo

ARRGH!

ok - I don't really feel better now I got that off my chest. :blush:

Cindy G

“Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.”

~ Doug Larson ~

lavishly buttered and jammed toast into unsweetened tea with milk.

don't gag but....

arrowroots into someone else's creamy sugary coffee (what we here in Canada refer to as a "double double")

technically this doesn't count but...whenever I have a chicken salad sandwich -once a year- each bite has to be accompanied by a large gulp of chocolate milk.

most repulsive dunk I have witnessed was breakfast sausage dunked into a glass of ginger-ale (which technically makes some sense-pork & ginger)

Life! what's life!? Just natures way of keeping meat fresh - Dr. who