• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Candied Yams

tryska

For Tryska, an old, cherished friend on Thanksgiving:

Candied Yams Southern Style with Bourbon

Candied Yams .. yet another variation

Candied Yams: a collection to choose from :wink:

Hope you find one or more of these to your liking! :biggrin:

thanks gg - i already googled those, before posting. i was hoping for someone's tried and true, i make it every thanksgiving, as did my mama, as did nana before her, kind of thing. 'preciate the lookup tho. :smile:

Edited by tryska (log)

I have one that is very simple, and perhaps less gourmet than you'd like, but it is tried and true. The topping is enough for a 13 x 9 pan of yams.

1 cup chopped pecans

1 cup brown sugar

6 T flour

6 T butter

mini marshmallows optional

In a small bowl combine pecans, sugar, flour, and butter, blending well. Sprinkle over yams. Top with marshmallows if desired. Bake for 40 minutes or until bubbly.

Simple, reliable, but more importantly, very good tasting.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

I have one that is very simple, and perhaps less gourmet than you'd like, but it is tried and true. The topping is enough for a 13 x 9 pan of yams.

1 cup chopped pecans

1 cup brown sugar

6 T flour

6 T butter

mini marshmallows optional

In a small bowl combine pecans, sugar, flour, and butter, blending well. Sprinkle over yams. Top with marshmallows if desired. Bake for 40 minutes or until bubbly.

Simple, reliable, but more importantly, very good tasting.

thanks patti! quick question - should the yams be cooked already, or do i chunk them up and put them in raw?

Damn, I thought I was going to get away with slyly not admitting to using canned yams. :shock: Busted. :hmmm: Rats. :raz:

I'd parboil them.

Edited by patti (log)

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

when i cook yams i do it one of two ways...i either boil them or steam them..skins on...then remove the skins....cut them in chunks...put a little butter in a skillet...let it melt...add some brown sugar.....stir until the sugar dissolves then add your cut up yams..the purpose is to get a nice sugar coating,,,then cook as patti suggested......

Edited by ladyyoung98 (log)

a recipe is merely a suggestion

My grandmother's recipe is something along the lines of this:

Several cans of candied yams (yes, syrup and all).

Crush in some pecans

Add about a full jar of maple syrup, some karo, and a touch of molasses, I think brown sugar is also used liberally to thicken this.

Add a stick or two of butter

Bake in the oven (temp unknown to me) until all bubbly and delicious smelling.

Pull out, place a bag or two of full size marshmallows on top, and back under the broiler until they brown over and get that wonderful smorsey gooey texture.

This stuff is pure heaven in a pan.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

thanks y'all.

so let me get this straight...

cook the yams first, and then make an amorphous goo of sugar butter and pecans, top with marshmallows. bake.

is that aobut it?

Edited by tryska (log)

That's basically it, but I have to second GG's suggestion of the bourbon kind. I've had a million different versions, but the best I've ever had were at a former boyfriend's family Thanksgiving. His sister-in-law's mother made these RIDICULOUSLY good yams that she never would give me the recipe for, but she did tell me that they included a judicious amount of good Kentucky bourbon. She had to make like 4 pans for 6 people since everyone loved them so much. It was her mother's mother's mother's recipe or something like that. No other sweet potato or yam dish has affected me like that one did (not even my own mother's :shock: ). From my research, I think I've figured out how she did it.

First, I know she baked the yams first (I did manage to get that much out of her), then peeled and cut them up. Then, a syrup is made from the bourbon (at least 1/3 cup per pan) and brown sugar, possibly molasses, butter, and pecans. This is done in a saucepan to cook off the alcohol a bit. The syrup is added to the yams, and everything gets mashed up. She added some crushed pineapple, but this is probably a more recent addition. The stuff is spread in the pan and baked to get bubbly. The addition of marshmallows is your choice as well. She didn't add them, and for the first time, I didn't miss them.

I'm sure you've got it figured out by now, but I thought I'd add this version in case you wanted to try something different. Really though, you can't go wrong with any of the above suggestions. I'd eat piles of them prepared in almost any fashion.

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

That's basically it, but I have to second GG's suggestion of the bourbon kind. I've had a million different versions, but the best I've ever had were at a former boyfriend's family Thanksgiving. His sister-in-law's mother made these RIDICULOUSLY good yams that she never would give me the recipe for, but she did tell me that they included a judicious amount of good Kentucky bourbon. 

Thank you for saying this, KatieM! It sure sounded terrific to me to use a bourbon with these sweet candied yams .. what could possibly be bad here?? :rolleyes::laugh:

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"