• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DC DelMarVa Thanksgiving! (hint hint)

JPW

As I happen to be slumming it in the hinterlands of the Caribbean, working own arse off, I will be thank(less) and definitely giving less. Probably eating something boiled within an inch of its life, as believe me, eating anything that hasn't met boiling water here just like having a good smear of malaria on your toast = gustatory wasteland.

Have a drumstick for me. Loud sob. Egulleteers are starving down there.

When I come back....look out, calories. I SHALL have the last word.

Edited by Nadya (log)

Resident Twizzlebum

I'm going up to NY to visit my parents. They've just moved and don't have a fully functional kitchen so we'll be going out to eat. My mom seems far more relaxed then when she prepares Thanksgiving dinner and we're all happy to be ducking the cranky relatives even at the price of missing the fun ones -- so it looks like it'll be a relaxed and happy day.

OK, for all of you who want to shocked and horrified: I hate turkey. My mother used to cook a really giant turkey (for the 5 of us) and freeze the leftovers, which we then proceeded to eat through the month of December when, GUESS WHAT?, Christmas rolled around and she would make exactly the same meal. Leftovers through January.

The only turkey I look forward to is the deep-fried stuff our Chief Building Engineer makes for the building's Christmas party. Lovely stuff. And there are NEVER any leftovers.

So, a few years ago, DH and I discovered that we had no family obligations to meet for Thankgiving and could do what we wanted which meant finding a restaurant. The only place we could find within walking distance was Bistrot du Coin, which suited me just fine since I love mussels. DH doesn't much care for them. So, for a couple of TDs we went and ate a Belgian Bistro meal.

Then, some of my neighbors wanted to get together. We are talking about people from Venezuela and Wales, neither of which countries has a tradition of Thanksgiving or turkey thereon. We managed to avoid turkey.

This year, it was back to BdC. They actually had a special meal of turkey and all the trimmings or goose w/different trimmings. Maybe I should have risked the goose, but no, mussels and steak frites.

I dunno. If you can't be grateful for the food (whatever it is), then what's the point?

We hate turkey in our household, as well, and in damn near 20 Thanksgivings together, Stephanie and I have only served it once. Nasty stuff.

This year we had the braised pork butt mentioned above. After five hours of cooking, an overnight rest, and another three hours on Thanksgiving day, it almost fell of the bone and we served it with the braising liquid -- pork and chicken stock, Gewurtztraminer and the usual vegs and herbs -- reduced and fortified with Grand Marnier and a little cider vinegar.

We made Pommes Anna and corn pudding and a lemon tart; Nora --11 -- helped mom make a pumpkin pie and me make a couple of brioches; friends brought over a vast array of side dishes and more pie than we thought could ever be eaten, though we came damn close to finishing them off.

It was a pretty wonerful evening all around.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

We had a low-key T-day. Wednesday I made a brine of water, cider, a handful of whole black peppercorns, about half that much who alspice, a half-dozen peeled, smashed garlic cloves, a cuppa kosher salt. Boiled it, the simmered for ten to fifteen minutes. Cooled it to room temp, Got a humongo zip-lock for the turkey and after rinsing the bird, put it in the bag, then filled it with the brine. Put the whole thing in the fridge in back, turned it occasionally for the next 24 hours. I took it out an hour before cooking so it would warm.

I cooked it outside on the rotisserie for just under two hours, took it off after checking temps. Meanwhile, baked sweet potatoes, sauteed green beans with ham, freshly baked rolls (from Great Harvest). My daughter made cornbread stuffing with cranberries adn apples. We made gravy from the pan drippings. The wine was Breaux 2001 barrell fermented chardonnay. Desert was cherry pie (we'd over eaten on pumpkin the previous week).

Really a nice dinner.

WR

What are you up to?