• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smith Street Sprawl

I am a recent transplant to Boerum Hill (from Long Island City), and my girlfriend has lived in Carroll Gardens for a while now. The restaurant explosion up and down Smith (and Court to a lesser extent) has made for some great Brooklyn dining. I know it can be hit-or-miss, and I was wondering if you had explored the area at all and if so if you have any favorites.

Can't wait to get my hands on your new book. Thanks so much for your time here.

Todd

I am a recent transplant to Boerum Hill (from Long Island City), and my girlfriend has lived in Carroll Gardens for a while now.  The restaurant explosion up and down Smith (and Court to a lesser extent) has made for some great Brooklyn dining.  I know it can be hit-or-miss, and I was wondering if you had explored the area at all and if so if you have any favorites.

Can't wait to get my hands on your new book.  Thanks so much for your time here.

Todd

There are so many things happening in your neighborhood, its hard to keep up. As the restaurant critic for BKLYN magazine, I try to keep up. But there are so many things happening in my neighborhood (Park Slope), and other parts of Brooklyn, that I haven't had a chance to keep up with yours. Anyway, I love, love, love Downtown Atlantic on Atlantic Ave. It's friendly, and down-to-earth, but has excellent, even stylish food. Or a hamburger. And great baked goods. I can't get enough of the chocolate banana cream pie. I liked Bacchus, also on Atlantic Ave., the one time I went. Now, my friends in your neighborhood tell me it has come into its own. There are a lot of mediocre Asian places on Smith St. and Court St. I go when I have to because some I am with someone who wants to, but they are merely serviceable. I love the pizza at Caserta Vecchia. When I go to the movies on Court St. I grab a burrito across the street -- whatever it is called -- the fillings are fresh. I can't wait to get to Frankie's (I think that's the spelling), which is an old-fashioned Italian American place just opened by two young guys named Frank. I am hearing good things about the new French place that takes the place of Brooklyn Grill -- which was very good, but was sent down the tubes by 18 months of street construction on Atlantic. The famous place on Smith St. is Saul, but never thought it was as good as they think they are -- as the press as made them seem because it was one of the first stylish place to open on the street. I'll probably remember when I sign off -- which I am going to do now. I can always add to the list, right?

Thanks much for all the tips! Now I have quite a list to get through. I have been meaning to try Caserta Vecchia for a while, after having stuck to Savoia until now (closer to my girlfriends old place) for pizzas, and Frankie's sounds exciting too.

Pan, I have found the Falafel at Bedouin Tent on Atlantic to be pretty darn good, and the lentil soup and "pitzas" at Zaytoons on Smith are great too. Also, check out Sahadi's on Atlantic and Clinton. Its an Arabic import grocer with some good prepared foods, and the hummus is great.

Todd

Thanks, Todd. I'm eager to see Arthur's opinion about those and other places. I like the merguez sandwich at Zaytoon's, and of course Sahadi's is legendary, but I haven't tried Bedouin Tent and appreciate the recommendation. Is that the Syrian restaurant across the street from Yemen Cafe? Arthur, do you like Yemeni food, and do you have a favorite Yemeni place, either near Atlantic Av. or elsewhere?

Michael aka "Pan"

Atlantic Avenue is no longer the place to get good Arab food. That said, I stop at Waterfalls, but ONLY for the vegetable mezze. Leave the meat. I do like the Yemen cafe on Atlantic, especially their roast lamb. There is another Yemeni restaurant on 18th Avenue -- glatt kosher. I keep meaning to try it. For good Lebanese food I go to Byblos on E. 38th St (maybe 39th) and Third Ave.