• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fave NYC Restaurants

Hi Arthur,

Count me in as another longtime listener who misses you from the airwaves. You were often asked to make restaurant recommendations. Now with no pressure on you, or limits, what are some of your favorite restaurants in New York and why?

Thanks and happy holidays,

Trish

Hi Arthur,

Count me in as another longtime listener who misses you from the airwaves.  You were often asked to make restaurant recommendations.  Now with no pressure on you, or limits, what are some of your favorite restaurants in New York and why?

Thanks and happy holidays,

Trish

Oy vay, Trish! I am working on this list for my website -- www.arthurschwartz.com -- and I am having trouble narrowing it down to my 100 favorites. I have also, I noticed while writing this list, become very Brooklyn-centric. I mean, ask me where I like to eat in my neighborhood (Park Slope) and I'll tell you I go to 12th Street Bar and Grill simply because everything is delicious and the place is so civilized and adult. I go to the Red Cafe, the Tempo, which takes the place of Cucina, and I like Belleville, except I wish the wine and liquor prices were more reasonable. I like to go Toto for a panini and a Martini (no joke). I go to Bonnie's Grill for burgers and the best Buffalo chicken wings you are likely to get anywhere.

In Manhattan, for Italian, I have to say I love Celeste, Bianca and Teadora (you'll have to look up addresses and phone numbers), all owned by my friend Giancarlo Quadalti. For real Greek, I love Pylos in the East Village. For a big-spending, gastronomic night I'd go to Tocqueville. For a big-spending night for NYC glamor, I'd go to "21." I love the Union Square Cafe, Gramercy Tavern, and Gotham Bar and Grill -- but that's predictable. I love everything that Shelly Fireman does -- Brooklyn Diner, Trattoria dell'Arte, Red Eye Grill, Shelly's New York. I must confess, however, that I work with Shelly Fireman these days. But -- a big but -- I loved his operations before I did. I would't work for him if I didn't think he was a brilliant restaurateur.

I could go on and on and on ... I'll get it all up on my website one of these days soon.