• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Refrigerated Icing?

yvegeny

I would fridge it with uncooked eggs in ingredients. It is simple to bring it back to room temp to apply (if you are saying you have not applied it yet?) then serve.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

I'm having a hard time putting this together in my head...........this 'frosting' sounds pretty bad. Is it everything you want- or would you like some help with another recipe?

Uncooked eggs are always refridgerated in the US, I know other countries have different positions. Most of us feel egg whites are safe at room temp. (even though we are taught otherwise in sanitation classes) but I don't know that anyone would agree that egg yolks are o.k. to hold at room temp..

I would have reservations serving your frosting even if it was refridgerated. I might eat it myself-but I wouldn't serve it to anyone with any possible health issues or risks.

I'd recommend against using raw yolks in anything, but if you do use them, I'd certainly recommend that you refrigerate whatever you make with them, which will slow (but not stop) the growth of bacteria in the yolk droplets in the icing (egg yolk is an almost ideal bacterial medium).

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

I am looking for a light but creamy lemon frosting. I did try three others before I settled on this one, but they were all too heavy. I was kind of wary with the eggs, but I knew that I had seen other recipes with eggs, so I wasn't too sure what to do. I would certainly appreciate any safer recipes, if you have them. Thank you so much.

I haven't iced the cake yet, it was late when I got in last night, and I didn't have a chance to check here. The icing will need to be served to approximately 110 people, so I can't afford for any illnesses coming out of this.

Edited by yvegeny (log)

I don't know how light you need to be, but here's a simple butter/sugar/lemon juice icing you could whip to an airy consistency.

Lemon Icing

And here's a meringue lemon icing that's probably a bit lighter:

Angel Food Cake with Lemon Meringue Icing

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh