• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving Menus 2002–2011: The Topic

awbrig

Busboy, re: FIL and BIL and the dreaded bird: have them help you do a Thompson's turkey, but do the version that requires that you drink at every basting and every other step before and after.  You won't mind it a bit.  :wink:

Suzanne, you kept this wonderful Thompson's variation from me! How could you? Now I have to make it again come Thanksgiving.

And Sam, your turkey is out of control-- I don't know if I dare post whatever it is I'll be making after that!

FIL is retired from the liquor trade, and he loved his job. Drinking at every step, whether or not basting is involved, is pretty much a given. In fact, drinking is pretty much a given, whether he's there or not - hence the problem with the neighbors. (Reading Sam's menu as I consider showing up in my kitchen at 9AM Thanksgiving Day reminds me of my wife's comment about prosecco: "it makes a pretty good breakfast wine.")

What is a Thompson's turkey, anyway?

Maybe I'll try Sam's version as a compromise between the traditionalists and the avant-guarde. It appears that it would also free up some overn space and time, which is another key consideration.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Maybe I'll try Sam's version as a compromise between the traditionalists and the avant-guarde. It appears that it would also free up some overn space and time, which is another key consideration.

Lemme know if you want the details. I can PM or post to recipeGullet.

--

This is the first Thanksgiving my husband and I will be hosting, and we will be 10 people (both sets of parents, a brother each, a grandma and a cousin). We are giving people assignments so as to cut down on some work/expense.

the day starts with cream cheese stuffed celery as we watch the macy's parade.

in-laws are bringing the pickies:

cheese platter with cheeses, salamis and pates, olives and cornichons

crackers

crudite with 2 dips (hummus and tzatziki, i think)

for dinner, we'll be having:

soup course (spinach eggdrop with little meatballs), made by my father

salad course

pasta course--homemade ravioli of some sort--something with squash or pumpkin?

turkey course will incude:

turkey

leek and mushroom stuffing

homemade cranberry and apple sauces

sweet potatoes

mashed potatoes

brussel sprouts

string beans for those who don't like brussel sprouts

noodle kugel

glazed carrots

cornbread

for dessert:

pumpkin & apple pies (made by my mom)

chocolate something

lemon squares

Let me see if I can sell it to the masses.

I'm on the pavement

I would be interested in the details!

QUOTE (budrichard @ Oct 29 2003, 04:20 PM)

Cigars for the men

Chocolates for the women & children

hey bud,

what's with this part of your menu? chicks don't get cigars? men don't merit chocolate? Is it still 1952 in your house?

Whew! You guys are hard-core. Ain't nothing going past you! :cool:

Cigars for the men

Chocolates for the women & children

what's with this part of your menu? chicks don't get cigars? men don't merit chocolate? Is it still 1952 in your house?

And let us not forget that the children are being shafted on the nicotine as well.

My own personal experience suggests a reason: The one time bergerka joined some of the menfolk for a cigar, she promptly went upstairs and tossed her cookies. A terrible waste of a large number of calories to which I had devoted a lot of time.

--

This year I am flying from PA to Illinois, where I spent the first 27 years of my life, to visit my mother who is 85. I haven't seen her since my dad died 3 years ago, although we talk on the phone every Sunday.

The last time I went home for Thanksgiving, about 6 years ago, my sister picked me up at the airport, shoved a piece of paper in my hand and said, "Start making the list, we're going to the grocery." We spent two days cooking, and I was exhausted, after having anticipated being a guest that year. This time I am arriving on Sunday and have declared that I will cook if given ample notice, no marathons.

The assortment of guests should make for a very interesting day. My son is driving in from Nashville with his wife and my youngest grandson, Ben, age 10 months. None of the relatives have ever met the wife or seen the baby. My sister lives about 6 blocks from my mother and will be hosting the dinner in her very small house which used to be my grandmother's and where the temperature usually hovers around 60 degrees. My sister's two grown sons will be in from Chicago and northern Minnesota, along with the younger one's girlfriend. Also her fiance, who is a religious fanatic and who I hope will not say grace or we'll all eat cold food. The fiance's unmarried youngest son may come along. Then there's my brother and his wife and grown daughter, who are mostly in a cold war with my sister. Long story.

The food should be pretty much what we always had growing up: the turkey skin will not be crisp and wonderful the way I cook it, but pale and soggy and making pallid (giblet) gravy, but the turkey will taste fine. There will be sage dressing and scalloped oysters, mashed potatoes and probably sweet potatoes, asparagus casserole, a wonderful cranberry-whipped cream-chopped grapes-and-walnuts salad, riced cream cheese with cherry preserves and homemade rolls. Dessert will be 5 or 6 different pies, always pumpkin (2) and pecan, plus apple, perhaps cherry or a cream pie or two such as lemon meringue and butterscotch.

I shall be the one in the long underwear holding the baby and clutching my insulin bottle.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

They bought it -- but I'm not buying truffles for 25. Maybe a little truffle oil for the favored few, if there's any change left over after the FedEx in the foie gras.

I can't wait to plate it with the stuffing and the little translucent disc of canned cranberry sauce that has also been requested. Is that the kind of thing they do at Mist?

Anyway, details, on the board or by PM are much appreciated.

I'm on the pavement

I want to go to slkinsey's house and truly be thankful. What will happen is the same menu as every year because husband and kids throw a major fit if I deviate even slightly from the most basic midwestern fare.

It will be for 5 and 2 of us really need to control the portions and served family style. Turkey with the family sausage/ liver stuffing, garlic mashed potatoes, good gravy, green bean casserole - triple recipe, other vegetable TBD, cranberry chutney - my own and cranberry sauce. Popovers with parmesan cheese per daughter's efforts and pumpkin pie, possibly will add an apple cranberry crisp. Plenty of champagne and Beaujo. Good chocolates later with port.

I get even with the lack of creativity by reminding my family the gravy is sauce for the meat and does not belong on the potatoes.

Next day I start to plan a Christmas feast and I have no limits.

My own personal experience suggests a reason:  The one time bergerka joined some of the menfolk for a cigar, she promptly went upstairs and tossed her cookies.  A terrible waste of a large number of calories to which I had devoted a lot of time.

Well...as the Hertz commercial says...not exactly.

The TRUTH is this: I smoked 1/2 of a cigar during a cast party at which I had imbibed not wisely but all too well (so was already feeling a tad topsy-turvy, if you will). No one had bothered to inform me that one doesn't inhale the smoke from a cigar. That is how the cookie tossing came about...the combination of smoke in the lungs and a large amount of several different kinds of alcohol over several hours overcame my gag reflex. :shock:

Slkinsey also neglected to mention that I have since taken great pleasure in the occasional 1/4-1/3 of a cigar without any appearance of cookies, digested or not. :rolleyes:

K

Basil endive parmesan shrimp live

Lobster hamster worchester muenster

Caviar radicchio snow pea scampi

Roquefort meat squirt blue beef red alert

Pork hocs side flank cantaloupe sheep shanks

Provolone flatbread goat's head soup

Gruyere cheese angelhair please

And a vichyssoise and a cabbage and a crawfish claws.

--"Johnny Saucep'n," by Moxy Früvous

They bought it -- but I'm not buying truffles for 25. Maybe a little truffle oil for the favored few, if there's any change left over after the FedEx in the foie gras.

Actually, all you need to do is buy a jar of "black truffle carpaccio" (looks like this). This is large truffle trimmings in truffle juice and oil. Probably the cheapest bang-for-the-buck you can get, truffle-wise. You can probably get a jar of it for less than $25. In fact, Citarella sells it for 20 bucks (see here). One jar, or maybe two, should be more than enough for 25 people (remember, you're only using a tiny bit). My experience has been that people who had never tasted truffles before were completely blown away by it in this dish.

I can't wait to plate it with the stuffing and the little translucent disc of canned cranberry sauce that has also been requested. Is that the kind of thing they do at Mist?

Hee... that could be kind of funny. Or, if you wanted to do something related but a little fancier, you could make bergerka's "cranberry sauce with port wine and figs," which I understand is always a hit (although I've never had it at my Thanksgiving dinner, as I avoid sweet things with savory). I'll see if I can get her to put the recipe in the system.

--

SethG: mea culpa. I thought you had that version and just was trying to be the respectable husband and father. :rolleyes: I'll dig around where I saw it and let you know a link. Sorry. It's a hoot, much more interesting than Jeffrey Steingarten's, if you can believe that.

BTW: I mentioned you to the butcher at Jubilee today -- he remembered getting you the turkey. :biggrin:

I'll be spending Thanksgiving in California (Venice) with my wife and stepdaughter. Wife is leaving the 15th; by the time I arrive on the 25th, both will be glad to see me. Luigi the bulldog will also be there; he loves a party.

Menu will be traditional turkey and things for the most part. Tough to cook that just for 3 plus a dog, might just need turkey parts.

--mh

--mark

Everybody has Problems, but Chemists have Solutions.

unfortunately i'll be working over thanksgiving and will be at the mercy of the unit potluck-i'm certain that i'll be subjected to the evil greenbean casserole. this is a fate worse than death. a saving grace is that i'm sure someone will make pancit (nothing says thanksgiving like pancit!) i'll be bringing a punkin' pie bread pudding and (if no one steps up to the task) i'll make a turkey -i'll brine it with maple syrup, salt/pepper, turkey herbs. also a side of shiitake mushroom stuffing. it sucks to work with folks that don't cook much!

"Ham isn't heroin..." Morgan Spurlock from "Supersize Me"

What is a Thompson's turkey, anyway? 

Check out this award-winning (:biggrin:) thread!

OK, I read that.

Obviously, I found your train wreck of a prep strategy more compelling than the actual dish itself. :laugh:

Not a bad recipe, but your narrative points out one of the major advantages of Sam's recipe...most of his gets done in advance, while my life is still sane, rather than assembled day of, as all hell breaks loose.

I'm on the pavement

They bought it... Anyway, details, on the board or by PM are much appreciated.

Take a look here.

It's a lot harder to describe than it is to do. Everything can be done advance ecxept for roasting the breasts, whisking some butter into the sauce and reheating everything prior to service.

--

Eisenhower is dead! None of the women attending smoke cigars or partake of any other form of nicotaine. The children are also not exposed to second hand smoke, so we go outside to smoke! I have a JC Pendergast with a few cigars in it http://www.jcpendergast.com/ but rarely smoke anymore. The chocolates will come from Bernachon's. -Dick

[Take a look here.

It's a lot harder to describe than it is to do.  Everything can be done advance ecxept for roasting the breasts, whisking some butter into the sauce and reheating everything prior to service.

Thanks, Sam. I'll let you know how it works...if we actually go through with it.

I'm on the pavement

for my menu i've been working on a plated tasting flight. i want it to be a combination of traditional flavors with non-traditional dishes. it looks like the following is my menu for now:

an amuse bouche of a trio of autumn squash raviolis with a sage cream reduction.

salad course of mixed baby salad greens topped with blue cheese, pears, praline pecans and a simple vinagarette.

soup course of pumpkin soup with creme fraiche and toasted pepitas.

warm appitizer of roasted corn flan with smoked cheddar cheese, braised greens, and sundried tomatoes.

main course of either grilled portobello caps with cracked peppercorn gravy or smoked turkey breast with herbed apple syrup.

served with sides of roasted sweet potatoes and fennel, mashed potatoes with carmelized onions, and lemon thyme haricot verts.

cheese course of smoked cheddar cheese on biscuits with apple sage salsa and herbed apple syrup

sorbet course of cranberry orange sorbet

desert of either pumpkin creme brulee or calvados apple creme brulee

and finish with pecan chocolate truffles and cofee.

notes for all of the dishes as well as the menu have been worked out on the food section of my blog so far.my blog just because this menu has changed several times. if you are curious you can check it out.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some good ideas for soup over on the 'special occasion' boards so that might change; but here's the plan so far:

hors d'oeuvres:

puff pastry cheese straws

smoked oysters w/crackers

sherried pecans

shrimp paste (Southern dish, homemade) w/toast points

drinks: Champagne cocktails or Champagne or Sparkling Cider

celery bisque w/oysters

wine: Shug 2001 Sauvignon Blanc

Turkey w/gravy

Sausage-Mushroom Stuffing

Fresh Cranberry-Orange Sauce

Creamed Onions

Mashed Potatoes

Roasted Sweet Potatoes w/Cracked Pepper-Lemon Butter

Brussel Sprouts sauteed in Brown Butter

wine: David Bruce Pinot Noir

Red grapefruit sorbet drizzled w/Campari & pomegranates

AQpple pie w/vanilla ice cream

Sweet potato pie (wonderful recipe in Bill Neal's Southern Cooking)

Quince frangipane tart

strong coffee

liqueurs, brandies.... (or whatever else to achieve 'Le Trou Normande') !

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Sunday night, Blovie and I came home to a message on our answering maching from my mom. Our Thanksgiving plans had been cancelled due to family emergency. Now, my apartment is currently a certified disaster area (we had some work done), so hosting was out of the question. My mom is retired from this type of entertaining, and my mil is injured (the in-laws were joining us), so I agreed to cook, so long as the meal took place somewhere else. The plan is to go to my in-laws in NJ. I will be doing all the cooking with the exception of the turkey. My parents will join us there.

Now, I've never made Thanksgiving before. And as I started to devise a menu, Blovie made me promise to do a traditional meal complete with cranberries, pumpkin, etc. As it stands, here's the menu:

I haven't figured out an appetizer yet

Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Cider Soup

Assorted Greens with a Honey-Balsamic Vinegrette with toasted pecans and dried cranberries

Turkey

Cranberry-Dried Cherry Compote

Pumpkin Pie (more savory than sweet)

Wild Rice Salad

Balsamic glazed Brussel Sprouts with Pine Nuts

Apple-Pear Crisp

Cake made by mom

And something else, haven't decided what.

Most of the food can be prepared in advance, and we'll load up the car on Thursday morning. The only thing is, we have theater tickets for Wednesday night, so I can't do any work.

Yesterday I went grocery shopping. I have never seen uptown Fairway as crowded as it was yesterday. Bottlenecked carts in the aisles. Every register was open. And the parking lots were madhouses.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs