• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving Menus 2002–2011: The Topic

awbrig

mother-in-law still in the nursing home, sister-in-law has to work a 3-11 shift, rest of the full and half siblings going for the first time to an aunt and uncle(because their mom is in the nursing home). we are going to have a late breakfast and i'll have food for when we get home from visiting the nursing home:

herb crusted pork roast with onion and roasted carrots

mashed sweet potatoes

green beans with olive oil and garlic

stuffin' muffins and gravy

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

This year I cooked the bird in parts and it came out great. Take the legs and wings off, bone out the breasts and flip them end to end and tie up in the skin in a roll. Put them in a 275˚ oven, pull the breast roll out at 145˚, it cooked up to 150˚, pull the legs and wings at 165˚. All meat perfectly done. Only drawback is no money shot of bringing the entire bird to the table (but my BIL saved the day with an additional whole smoked bird). And no wrestling with carving the breast meat, simply slice it like a filet mignon.

The carcass was chopped into 1" pieces, browned, and used for stock to make the gravy. I'll never go back...

Edited by Recoil Rob (log)

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.

- Errol Flynn

Ive very glad some one else has tried 'deconstructed turkey'

an other way is to put the deconstructed pieces on your stuffing and bake.

you can go here and see a 'very early' picture that does not do the turkey justice:

my later attempts looked a lot better!

Hi All:

I tried to have a Mostly Modernist Thanksgiving and my son loved it, and so did I. I am still trying to get past seeing pink turkey and pink turkey juice without panic, but I checked it with my thermometer and it was cooked. Making your own bread and leaving it out to get stale was a big plus for the stuffing. Spending £10, and 2.5 hours of my time made some Modernist Brown Poultry stock for gravy was great! I think that the cranberry sauce sous vide needed 20% sugar, but other than that it was a close to perfect as I could get.

Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving

Drew @ Cut Cook Eat

Halve or quarter each sprout depending on size. Fry diced Bacon

...three slices per pint of sprouts. When about half cooked fry the sprouts in the Bacon fat until black on the cut sides. Put in serving bowl. Mix w a tbsp maple syrup and a tbsp of lemon juice.

It's a little labor intensive but tasty.

Hi All:

I tried to have a Mostly Modernist Thanksgiving and my son loved it, and so did I. I am still trying to get past seeing pink turkey and pink turkey juice without panic, but I checked it with my thermometer and it was cooked. Making your own bread and leaving it out to get stale was a big plus for the stuffing. Spending £10, and 2.5 hours of my time made some Modernist Brown Poultry stock for gravy was great! I think that the cranberry sauce sous vide needed 20% sugar, but other than that it was a close to perfect as I could get.

Hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving

Sounds tasty! I sv the white meat to 140. It has no pink in it and is super juicy.

I did my first pressure cooked stock for gravy. What a time saver!

my first slice of SV white meat turkey sv at 140 was definitively pink. I was a little surprised but it was folk tender and very tasty like filet mignon might me tenderness wise

i chilled the rest and the next time when I reheated to 140 ( didnt take long ) the pink was gone. still tasty and fork tender.

go figure

TG 2011 for 14 orphans

“New Frangland”

6341644159_e5721bf9ba.jpg

Roasted nuts and Mt. Pleasant pickles (sour Mexican gherkins, yellow wax beans). Mulled cider to be pumped.

6403913309_dc73e9cc06.jpg

Boston mackerel. Pickled in my red wine vinegar. Ruff & Ready salvaged cocktail forks.

6403897561_07d863080b.jpg

Smooth, leggy & blonde. Smoked turkey leg rillettes.

6415161641_9c3ba05dc8.jpg

Cooked in leaf lard. Absolutely delicious.

6403898949_4efc367f13.jpg

Gloucester navy bean chowder. Beans puréed with shellfish cooking liquid. A garnish of leek, bacon, shrimp, mussels, clams and salted cod.

6403902329_95975c71b8.jpg

Goldfish –acorn squash cornbread. Sea salt carousel: Persian blue, espelette, lavender, smoked, Guérande grey, Île de Ré.

6403903159_6ff56f9d02.jpg

Heritage turkey.

6390797007_00d5d066f8.jpg

Marla. Maple basted breasts.

6403906311_9660f4364c.jpg

Ballotine. Fresh & dried cranberries, button mushrooms, pistachios and few chestnuts.

6403912469_2042758b22.jpg

Cauliflower à la Polonaise. Romanesco, yellow & purple cauliflower. Cinnamon queen hen eggs, toasted bread crumbs and rosemary schmaltz.

6403899445_cc7ed0099e.jpg

Confit gizzards in saupiquet. Juniper scented urkey stock thickened by the liver.

6403911387_01ec42f50d.jpg

Pan coudoun. Candied quince baked in whole wheat bread.

6386899987_efe5263d70.jpg

Pumpkin and ricotta frangipane tart. Honey & ricotta ice cream. –courtesy of a pastry savvy friend.

6403911133_d2be9451ee.jpg

• 11 months later...