• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thanksgiving Menus 2002–2011: The Topic

awbrig

Well Thanksgiving is over...

Nov. 23rd is a national holiday in Japan so many foreigners I know here celebrate Thanksgiving on this day, I am also 13+ hours ahead of most of you. :raz:

All of my 3 dishes were a success! That wild rice salad from recipeGullet was incredible and everyone asked for the recipe. I added some chopped up persimmons as well as the apples because I was swamped with them.

The gratin also had everyone asking for the recipe though I thought it would have been better with real sweet potatoes instead of the Japanese very pale fleshed variety.

My pumpkin pie was also a winner, I adapted a recipe from Cook's Illustrated's Best Recipes using Japanese "raw" black sugar and changing the quantities of spices.

My one friend was also going to make a pie and she had done the crust but didn't have time to finish it, so one of the other women said she would do the filling part for her. She just followed the recipe on the label but added no sugar, because SHE is on a no sugar diet! :shock:

Everyone was quite surprised when they ate it as she didn't tell anyone she had left the sugar out, it tasted eating the pumpkin straight out of the can...

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

It's very weird here chez Eden. I'm not cooking anything. :blink: We've been invited to a friends for dinner this evening, and Bill has made a batch of pumpkin ice-cream to take, but that's it. no turkey in the oven, no potatoes to peel, nothing.

It just feels wrong, like maybe it's not really thanksgiving yet.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

PHEW! i'm done! everyone has left with leftover plates and i'm picking at the cake and turkey.

has anyone else tried a sarah lee smoked turkey? this is what i bought ( i have no idea how to cook a turkey...i just wanted things to go smoothly the first time i'm in charge on this monstrosity that is thanksgiving!)

it was really flavorful and good.

gallery_2_2104_40125.jpg

Le Turkey

gallery_2_2104_64045.jpg

Le Turkey Carved, with Gravy

gallery_2_2104_74391.jpg

Sweet Potato Fries

gallery_2_2104_47700.jpg

Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Apple

gallery_2_2104_61480.jpg

Cornbread Dressing

gallery_2_2104_8430.jpg

The Infamous White Castle Hamburger Stuffing

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Absolutely GORGEOUS photos, Jason!

It is 5:43 p.m. here and I am getting ready to ride my little scooter over to the neighbor's house where there is a huge crowd. The last convoy of stuff from my kitchen was wheeled over on a couple of carts a little while ago and my house seems very quiet for the first time in days.

There is almost a ton of food (really) over there, including pigs, turkeys, tamales and other meat dishes brought in by others. I can't even begin to list the numerous side dishes, salads, snacks and breads. I don't know how many desserts but at my last trip over I saw one table that had 14 pies, all were from Costco or Sam's Club. I added bread pudding and a lime gelatin salad(with pineapple, mandarin oranges, pecans, cream cheese and sour cream) in addition to a squash/sweet potato/apple casserole (in a very large roasting pan), nut and seed bread, cornbread - plain and bacon/jalapeño. I also made (by request) a big pan of potato dumplings and to go with, a pot of sweet/sour cabbage. These are the "sturdy" Hungarian style dumplings, not the light and fluffy type!

I made these dumplings for a party a couple of years ago and they were well recieved. When I asked what I could bring, these were first on the list.

Anyway, they are aiming at 6:30 to start serving so I should get ready and trundle over.

The aroma from the roasting piggies has been wafting this way all day and I have been constantly drooling. I am taking my camera and hopefully will get some good photos.

Now somebody should start or bump up a "leftovers" thread.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Roast Turkey with Giblet Gravy and Dressing

Green Beans with Almonds

Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes

Bourbon Whipped Sweet Potatoes

Angel Biscuits

Gladys' Cranberry Surprise

above accompanied by Firesteed Pinot Noir

Pumpkin Pie

Pecan Pie

Brown Sugar Pound Cake

above accompanied by a Moscato d'Asti

It was all very nice if I do say so myself. First postprandial dishwasher load already humming away.

Can you pee in the ocean?

Warm crab dip

Curried pumpkin soup

slkinsey's Turkey two ways

Cranberry-orange bread

Cornbread, suasage, and chestnut dressing

Fennel-roasted vegetables (potatoes, brussel sprouts, carrots, onions, fennel)

Twice-baked sweet potatoes

Cranberry-apple chutney

Cranberry sauce with persimmons

Apple pie with home-made vanilla ice cream

Sweet potato pie

Spiced pumpkin pie with port poached cranberries

Man I can't believe the day is finally over. This was my first Thanksgiving working at my Mothers inn, and man the stress. Having to cook breakfast for 20 guests, while also prepareing Thanksgiving dinner, was a bit hectic. Plus, some family memebers couldn't make the drive due to weather, so we had a 20lb turkey for 6 people instead of 10. There are going to be a lot of leftovers.

Everything turned out well though, even me panicing over whether or not the turkey was underdone or overdone...in the end it was damn tasty, thank god for the forgivingness of brining.

Our menu was:

Roasted pear and beet salad with spiced walnuts and a Cranberry Vinigarette (which for making up at the last minute turned out damn tasty)

Roasted Turkey with Giblet Gravy.

Roasted Green Beans with Garlic and pine nuts

Cornbread Stuffing

Roasted Cauliflour ala eGullet (thank god my mom's inn has two ovens)

Sage and Parsley dinner rolls

Peacan Pie and Pumpkin Pie with homemade Nutmeg icecream (I am in love with the ice cream machine)

So now I just need to get up at 7:30 and start making breakfast tomorrow.

Appetizers:

Fruit with cranberry dip

gallery_21049_162_44013.jpg

Baked Brie

gallery_21049_162_52818.jpg

Misc chips, pretzels, etc

Dinner:

Short ribs braised in demi glace with roasted shallots, shitake mushrooms, carrots, onion and garlic confit

gallery_21049_162_7765.jpg

Glazed spiral ham

gallery_21049_162_54954.jpg

Turkey

gallery_21049_162_56412.jpg

Misc stuffing, cranberry relish, mashed potato, gravy, candied yams, rolls, etc

Dessert:

Pecan, Apple and pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream.

Brussels sprouts with bacon and apple sounds good...I've been assigned these and have never made them due to my husband's irrational loathing of anything cruciferous.  And maybe the apple aspect gets kids to partake.  Do you roast the apples separately and add them later?

No, its not necessary.

Wash your brussel sprouts. If they are large, slice them in half, and toss then into a mixing bowl. If you are using the little flash frozen ones just toss them into a bowl from the package -- they taste just as good as the large ones in this dish. Now, cook the bacon. Render the grease out and pour some into the mixing bowl with the sprouts. Cube some apples (firm apple type, Granny Smith is good) toss in with the Sprouts and bacon grease. When the bacon is done cooking, chop up into bits, toss with the sprouts. Grind in some black pepper (if you use as much bacon as I do you won't need to add salt), toss again, and then throw the whole mess onto a baking sheet and cook in the oven until they start to caramelize, for about say, 30 minutes at 350. Put into casserole dish and reheat for 10 minutes just before meal.

Edit: Jay, please forgive me, but I wanted this in here with your instructions... Roast the sprouts for about 40 minutes at 350-400 (depending on what temp you need your oven for other things), stirring/turning about halfway through. If your bacon is already very crisp, it can wait till the end, if not, add the diced apple & bacon at this point and roast for another 10 minutes. I think if you roast the apple the whole time the pieces will disappear into apple sauce and they may burn. You just want the apples soft. A sprinkle of apple cider vinegar is nice too.

I added the above correction to Jason's post about the Brussels Sprouts, just to make sure no one missed it, I wanted to quote it here. Anyway, the apples don't go in until towards the end. I was inspired to do this from seeing it made on Martha Stewart's daytime show. I never looked up the recipe until now, just doing it from what I saw. Anywat, here's the original recipe, link. I could swear they roasted them on the show, but the "official" recipe just calls for boiling them. The thyme sounds like a nice touch too, I think I used them the first time I made this recipe, then forgot about them, oh well, next time.

Hmm, since my recipe is significantly different, I think I'll add it to RecipeGullet, I'll edit in the link in a minute...

Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Apple

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Here's our family feast for 16 people:

Appetizers:

Pickle and Olive Tray

Antipasto tray

Deviled Eggs

Salmon Spread

Benedictine with crumbled bacon on toast points

A selection of fruits and cheeses

a selection of Kentucky-made wines

Dinner:

2xTurkey (each 14 lbs., oven-baked w/rub and stuffed with apples and oranges, baked upside-down)

Sweet Potato Casserole

Mashed Potatoes

Green Bean Casserole

Broccoli Casserole

Macaroni and Cheese

Hot rolls w/homemade apple butter

Corn Pudding

Creamed Asparagus

Dessert:

Krispy Kreme bread pudding w/butter rum sauce

Mince Meat pie

Apple pie

Pumpkin pie

Next day's brunch:

Hot Brown Sandwiches

Omelette u-call-its

Mimosas

Fried coutry Ham w/redeye gravy

turkey hash over eggs

benedictine sandwiches

fruit selection

Hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Edited by tazunemono (log)

I was so busy in the days leading up to Thanksgiving this year, I didn't take time to look at this thread until just now. I enjoyed it, and it was interesting to see it switch from last year to this year.

my birthday's on thanksgiving! it is also my 21st!.....

Happy birthday!

Even though we celebrate at my mom's house, I am in charge of Thanksgiving dinner (I think that started when I was in my early 20s).  My mom does all the desserts, and I take care of everything else (with the help of my younger sister, and these days, my fabulous husband). 

I try to make sure that the menu is different every year, and I'm lucky because I come from a family of adventurous eaters.  Here's the bill of fare this year:

Breakfast:

Sweet breads (not sweetbreads) made by my mother.  Will probably include cranberry bread and some type of scone.

Lunch:

Smoked Trout and Horseradish Creme Fraiche (from Gastronomic Meditations)

Smoky Deviled Eggs

Onion and Bacon Tart

Olives

Honey and Chipotle Roasted Nuts

Goat Cheese with Homemade Chutney (inspired by Recipe Gullet)

Dinner:

Brined, Free-Range Turkey--Roasted with Herbs

Apple Cider Gravy (cheating and using homemade chicken stock instead of Turkey Stock)

Roasted Chestnut, Sausage and Sage Stuffing--it's not Thanksgiving unless my sister and I have chestnut-peeling related injuries (burns and scratches).

Yukon Gold Potato and Celery Root Gratin--made with Gruyere

Shredded Brussels Sprouts cooked in Duck fat and served with Toasted Walnuts and Bayley-Hazen Blue Cheese

Homemade Citrus and Spice Cranberry Jelly

Sweet Potato and Apple Dish provided by my Mother-in-Law

Dessert (after many board games):

Blueberry Sour Cream Tart

Pumpkin Cheesecake

Pecan Pie

I love holidays!!!

That menu sounds well thought out, and wonderful! I have never heard of eating three meals a day on Thanksgiving before. How did you do it?! I hardly ever eat three meals a day, let alone Thanksgiving and such delicious food as that.

Roasted Cauliflour ala eGullet (thank god my mom's inn has two ovens)

I did roasted cauliflower, too! Cooking for only four, I needed two ovens, but in this house we have only one. If we ever get to remodel, we will have two like we did in our other house.

Appetizers:

Fruit with cranberry dip

gallery_21049_162_44013.jpg

Baked Brie

gallery_21049_162_52818.jpg

Misc chips, pretzels, etc

Dinner:

Short ribs braised in demi glace with roasted shallots, shitake mushrooms, carrots, onion and garlic confit

gallery_21049_162_7765.jpg

Glazed spiral ham

gallery_21049_162_54954.jpg

Turkey

gallery_21049_162_56412.jpg

Misc stuffing, cranberry relish, mashed potato, gravy, candied yams, rolls, etc

Dessert:

Pecan, Apple and pumpkin pie with fresh whipped cream.

Three "meats" ...How many did you cook for, Percy?

Here was my menu, as posted on the Dinner! thread.

And anyone else who posted here before the big day and hasn't reported back since... How did it turn out? Did you cook what you planned or make changes?

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Thank you for posting your menus, everyone, they are a great source of inspiration. Here is what we had this year (for six):

Sazerac Cocktails (in honor of New Orleans; these were served over crushed ice for sipping)

*Benne wafers

*Bacon Horseradish Dip

Charleston Shrimp Paste

*Olives stuffed with Anchovy Butter

Peppered Pecans

2001 Schramsberg Blanc de blancs Brut

*Cream of Hatch Green Chile Soup

Edna Valley Vineyard 2003 Chardonnay Edna Valley

David Bruce 2002 Pinot Noir Santa Cruz Mountains

Roast Turkey and Gravy

Sausage and Mushroom Stuffing

Fresh Orange Cranberry Relish

Mashed Yukon Gold Potatoes

Roasted Sweet Potatoes with Black Pepper Lemon Butter and Brown Sugar

Brussel Sprouts sauteed in Brown Butter

*Homemade Green Bean Casserole

Red Grapefruit Sorbet garnished with Campari and Pomegranates

Apple Pie with vanilla ice cream or sharp cheddar

*Fresh Coconut Cake

Bill Neal’s Sweet Potato Pie

Assorted after dinner drinks: (Lagavulin Scotch Whiskey, Daron Calvados, Pays D’Auge , Old Krupnik Polish Honey Liqueur)

The benne wafers were made from a recipe in the Edna Lewis/Scott Peacock book---I added some cayenne pepper for a little kick. They are made with lard and lots of roasted sesame seeds. They were very nice by themselves or with the dip or shrimp paste.

I like the homemade green bean casserole as well. Sauteed mushrooms and onions then cooked with the green beansf and minced garlic in chicken stock; then reduced in heavy cream. I shaved onions and sauteed these in clarified butter until they were brown and crispy to use as a topping. (tastier than the recommended bread crumbs, I reckon).

The coconut cake was the first I have made and it was a dream. I modified a few different recipes and will post the recipe into RecipeGullet. This cake is definately a keeper!

*new items for me

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Sorry, late to post, but here is what we had.

Thanksgiving, Part 1 (Thursday) at Mr. Duck's cousin's. There were eight of us.

turkey & gravy

gallery_20544_2100_27210.jpg

cranberry sauce, string beans with garlic, stuffing, biscuits.

dessert: chocolate cake and truffles

Thanksgiving, Part 2 (Saturday) at my mom's house. Thirteen of us.

turkey & giblet gravy

sticky rice, cauliflower, zucchini, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with ginger, cranberry chutney, chestnuts, pearl onions

dessert: apple pie, blueberry pie, pumpkin bread, ice cream

gallery_20544_2100_68524.jpg

gallery_20544_2100_21378.jpg

gallery_20544_2100_55887.jpg

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

Thanksgiving 2005: “Nine Birds”

1. Partridge Paté, Fig Confit, and Port Wine Reduction

2. Green Salad with Ostrich Jerky

3. Roasted Guinea Fowl Stuffed with Oranges, Garlic, Onion, and Cinnamon, served with Couscous and Fried Bananas

4. Sautéed Wild Pheasant Breasts with Ligenberry Butter, served with Pumpkin Ravioli, Sautéed Figs, Pistachios, Fig Sauce, and Truffle Oil

5. Sautéed Quail with Chesnut Purée and Rose Sauce, Rose Petals, and Snow Peas with Chinese Five Spice and Pumpkin-Seed Oil

6. Wild Duck Breasts cooked in Sauerkraut, served with Corn and Peas Cooked with Bacon and Thyme Butter

7. Roast Goose with Thompson stuffing, Sweet Potato Casserole, and Roasted Beets

8. Deconstructed Stuffing: Toasted Brioche, Onion Jam, Celery Root Puree, Poultry Spices, Sage Leaf Tempura, Turkey Foam

9. Chicken-egg Flan Casero, Cardamom Panna-Cotta, Carrot-Ginger Cream, and Various Baker’s Square Pies

Thanksgiving 2005:  “Nine Birds”

3. Roasted Guinea Fowl Stuffed with Oranges, Garlic, Onion, and Cinnamon, served with Couscous and Fried Bananas

4. Sautéed Wild Pheasant Breasts with Ligenberry Butter, served with Pumpkin Ravioli, Sautéed Figs, Pistachios, Fig Sauce, and Truffle Oil

5. Sautéed Quail with Chesnut Purée and Rose Sauce, Rose Petals, and Snow Peas with Chinese Five Spice and Pumpkin-Seed Oil

6. Wild Duck Breasts cooked in Sauerkraut, served with Corn and Peas Cooked with Bacon and Thyme Butter

7. Roast Goose with Thompson stuffing, Sweet Potato Casserole, and Roasted Beets

8. Deconstructed Stuffing: Toasted Brioche, Onion Jam, Celery Root Puree, Poultry Spices, Sage Leaf Tempura, Turkey Foam

9. Chicken-egg Flan Casero, Cardamom Panna-Cotta, Carrot-Ginger Cream, and Various Baker’s Square Pies

I love it! That is my kind of Thanksgiving feast -- wish I'd thought of something like that. Well, now I have my idea for next year. :smile:

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

Thanksgiving 2005:  “Nine Birds”

...and a partridge in pear tree...

That sounded like the Thanksgiving of my dreams. :wub:

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

• 2 years later...

Is it too early to be thinking about menus yet? I've been thinking about mine since the beginning of September. :unsure: Ever since I've been on my own I've made exactly what my mother has made for the past 25 or so years, and while its tasty and familiar, I'm ready to change it up.

Family recipe stuffing stays, some tasty baby peas stay, but the cranberry jelly, regular ol' mashed potatoes, grapefruit cocktail, and sweet potato casserole need to go.

My husband nearly threw a temper tantrum when I told him that I didn't want to do the sweet potato/marshmallow casserole, but calmed down when I told him I was thinking about doing a creme brulee take on the sweet potatoes (creamy potatos in ramekins with carmelized tops). Has anyone tried this with succesful results? I found a recipe in either a Bon Appetit or Gourmet mag, but havent heard much else about it.

What else is everyone thinking about for their menus? Same old, same old? or shaking it up?

I've also been thinking about Thanksgiving for a couple of weeks, the planning is half the fun for me. I'm still pondering hors d'oeuvres, but that will be an important part since we're gathering to watch our Tennessee Titans :wub: play the Detroit Lions before the main food event. Right now I'm thinking:

Bloody Marys, wine, beer

Rosemary Roasted Pecans

Crudites and steamed shrimp with (homemade) Green Goddess Dressing

Mediterranean Palmiers (puff pastry, pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, feta)

For the Main Event:

Turkey, Mother's cornbread dressing, gravy

Cranberry kumquat relish (if the kumquats have come in by then)

Wild rice salad (Martha Stewart recipe with orange, green onions, dried cranberries)

Green beans sauteed with garlic and shallots and dressed with lemon and toasted hazelnuts

Potato carrot mousseline

Relish tray (pickles, celery)

Sister Schubert yeast rolls

Mincemeat pie

Pumpkin pie

All served with a dry Riesling and probably a Zinfandel (the real kind, NOT pink!)

Then a big nap :raz:

I may be in Nashville but my heart's in Cornwall

This is a first draft:

corn chowder with morels

poached and roasted amish farm turkey

french farm-style stuffing with apples

duck demiglace-based brown sauce

cranberry grand marnier sauce

peter reinhart's outrageously great corn bread

celeriac puree with garlic and fennel

blackened brussel sprouts w/truffle butter

pumpkin tart w/ vanilla cognac ice cream

chocolate marquise w/ pear and clove sauce

i feel like there should be some kind of finger food type hors d'oeuvre. i don't know much about these things ... if anyone has ideas, i'm all ears.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

This is a first draft:

corn chowder with morels

poached and roasted amish farm turkey

french farm-style stuffing with apples

duck demiglace-based brown sauce

cranberry grand marnier sauce

peter reinhart's outrageously great corn bread

celeriac puree with garlic and fennel

blackened brussel sprouts w/truffle butter

pumpkin tart w/ vanilla cognac ice cream

chocolate marquise w/ pear and clove sauce

i feel like there should be some kind of finger food type hors d'oeuvre. i don't know much about these things ... if anyone has ideas, i'm all ears.

Paul, how fancy do you want to get with the finger food things? There's always deviled eggs, cruditees (that's fancy for raw veggies and dip :laugh: ), chips, pretzels and the like. If you want more-so, go with rumaki, little choux puffs with fillings, or gougiere (sp?) which are choux puffs with cheese in the choux paste,

even purchased stuff like Chex mix, or frozen pigs in a blanket. For that matter you could make your own p.i.b. from decent pastry and little smoky sausages... I like them with applesauce or sweet hot mustard for a dip. HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

Mon Dieu! Any menu that includes chex mix, pigs in a blankie, corn, morels, duck demi-glace and celeriac puree gets my vote for most multi-generational French-American Thanksgiving ever. But do go the extra mile and make your own chex mix! Or farm out the job to a relative if they promise to use butter and not margarine.