• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Agriturismo Seliano

Arthur, thanks for joining us here. I am looking forward to your discussion.

We have a mutual friend in Baronessa Cecilia Barrata of Agriturismo Seliano. I had the great fortune of meeting her lat year when I stayed with my son at Seliano just prior to the Slow Food Congress in Naples. It is a wonderful place and she is a wonderful woman.

How did you become acquainted with her and Seliano? What do you find most appealing about doing your workshops therre?

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Arthur, thanks for joining us here. I am looking forward to your discussion.

We have a mutual friend in Baronessa Cecilia Barrata of Agriturismo Seliano. I had the great fortune of meeting her lat year when I stayed with my son at Seliano just prior to the Slow Food Congress in Naples. It is a wonderful place and she is a wonderful woman.

How did you become acquainted with her and Seliano? What do you find most appealing about doing your workshops therre?

Dear John,

I met Cecilia the way you did. I was a paying customer at her farm -- we think it was 10 years ago this Christmas. In fact, I just got off the phone with her. We immediately became friends, and she took me under her wing to help me research Naples At Table. Then she came and stayed with me in New York, and I stay with her. When you wake up with someone and you have coffee together in your pajamas, you get close. I am there four times a year. She stays with me usually twice a year, for several weeks at a time.

By now, I am considered a fixture at Seliano, part of the family, which of course makes me feel warm and fuzzy. So I go back for more love.

Cecilia was the one who wanted to do cooking classes. We talked about it for several years, but I kept telling her she didn't have the right kitchen facilities. So she built them. Now we have a wonderful kitchen that accommodate 12 (even 14) participants, and we travel to interesting food and cultural sites on two excursion days. Anyone who is interested in coming with me can look at the info at www.arthurschwartz.com