• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Delivery in the City

peppyre

So after working day 6 or 7 days (I've forgotten) and being exhausted, I decided to do delivery for dinner. I really had a craving for Thai. Voila, Urban Thai Bistro delivers and I live about 15 minutes from Yaletown. Perfect! I say to my cat. That was at 7:05pm exactly. It's now 8:35pm and I am F*&C KING pissed!! Still no food!!! I call and they say the delivery guy is going to call me back. As I'm typing, I'm still waiting for the phone to ring.

Now, there are certain places where an hour for delivery or takeout is OK. But this is getting a bit out of hand. What would you do? I'm not tipping and will probably phone but let's get some feedback on this. I've never experienced it before... :angry:

Food showed up just a few minutes ago (I've finished eating already, I was Fucking starving!) Even though it's a Sat, I expect about an hour. That's normal, I'm still pissed (I had 3 glasses of wine on no food as well) and will not be ordering from them again!!!

So...where's the whisky?!

I think the wait is still a bit ridiculous, even though it's Saturday. How was the food?

Shhhhh ling! I think she's having whiskey w/ "T" :shock:

I'd have cancelled after 60 minutes. I always keep a bag of pot-stickers in the freezer for just such emergencies.

A.

I think the wait is still a bit ridiculous, even though it's Saturday. How was the food?

Shhhhh ling! I think she's having whiskey w/ "T" :shock:

are you starting some egullet gossip? :shock:

I probably would have cancelled too (after 45 minutes). Then again, I'm really impatient when I'm hungry.

Peppyre, hope you had some Rainforest Crisps left to tide you over!

They finally showed up somewhere around 9 but I got distracted because a boy phoned :wub: How's that for some egullet gossip.

The food was terrible and cold, the larb was overly salty and didn't have a lot of other flavours to it. Will not be eating there again. But I still think the delivery time was outrageous. I've never had delivery take that long and it was hard not to start swearing at the delivery guy (I was hungry and had been downing wine) but I was on the phone so I was trying to still be delicate and lady like. Would you really have called and cancelled if you were starving and didn't have anything that you could thaw out?

but I was on the phone so I was trying to still be delicate and lady like.

How do you manage this? I'm like a hyena when starving.

"One chocolate truffle is more satisfying than a dozen artificially flavored dessert cakes." Darra Goldstein, Gastronomica Journal, Spring 2005 Edition

Would you really have called and cancelled if you were starving and didn't have anything that you could thaw out?

Well, if I was really starving, I wouldn't have called for take-out in the first place. I would have made something that takes about 1 minute to cook, like scrambled eggs. And eat it out of the pan. Why waste 10 seconds looking for a plate?

I would have asked them after placing my order approximately when I could expect my delivery. If it was too long for my liking (45 minutes +), I would have apologized and cancelled the order right there.

Well Ling, that's normally what I would do. I usually have that kind of food in the house, but I haven't done any true grocery shopping in ages. I was working all weekend and was really tired and thought, let's just do take out, it'll be so much easier and I won't have to do dishes when I get home from the show on Sunday. I did ask how long it would take and they said 45 min to an hour. That was fine, it's a Sat. I phoned them this morning and asked to speak to the manager, who of course wasn't in, but I will be speaking to the General Manager tomorrow. (I guess this could also go on Foodie's thread about last chances.) If this was just some dive around the corner I don't think I would be as ticked off, but it's not like this is a cheap restaurant, it wasn't cheap and it was terrible and ice cold. **OK I really have to stop venting**

What have learned from this...Put down the bottle of wine....get in the car....drive to HSG...get Chef Neil to make a hanger steak!!!!! WHEN WILL I LEARN!