• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heller's Bakery, Mount Pleasant

puchica

Say it ain't so.... Mt Pleasant's only neighborhood bakery has closed, at least according to a a sign in the window. It always seemed like the kind of place that could withstand the pressures of gentrification, but maybe not.

Anyone know what happened? Is the other branch closed too?

Yes, Heller's is closed, but the owners are looking for another baker to reopen it. It was not well managed the last few years.

Say it ain't so.... Mt Pleasant's only neighborhood bakery has closed, at least according to a a sign in the window. It always seemed like the kind of place that could withstand the pressures of gentrification, but maybe not.

Anyone know what happened? Is the other branch closed too?

Confirmed about the sign in the window: "Heller's is no longer open for business. Sorry."

But if it brings any comic relief, Red Bean has made a gallant attempt to write their name in French on a handwritten sign in their window: "L'Haraicot [sic] Rouge."

Has anyone been to Dos Gringos?

Cheers,

Rocks.

Cheers,

Rocks.

I sure have! Good coffee and lots of earthy-crunchy sandwiches. A little to whole-wheat for my taste, but the avocado sandwich with black bean spread reminds me Mexican tortas. They have ice cream downstaairs too, but I've never tried it.

As mentioned, it's not Mexican as you might guess, but vegetarian. The breakfast there is pretty decent (haven't been in awhile, though). A friend of mine used to jokingly call it "Solamente Gringos". :laugh:

Chris Sadler

• 3 months later...

Heller's is back, according to a post by ANC member Jack McKay on the Mount Pleasant DC Forum:

Heller's Bakery, much missed by Mount Pleasant residents, will re-open on Monday, February 28. Let's support the new owners, Aleksander and Erland Duni, as they bring a little bit of Greece to Mount Pleasant.
Edited by Roger Troutman (log)

Love,

Mr. Roger Troutman, who enjoys food and beverages.

CHAIR, INTERNATIONAL DINING RESEARCH INSTITUTE

WASHINGTON, D.C.