• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How to best prepare caramelized leeks

bleudauvergne

Hi all - On the France forum, Zoe posted about a new restaurant where she was served scallops with caramelized leeks, and it inspired me to do something like this in soup form, being the soup lover that I am.

I'm making a potage with coquille St. Jacques (scallops) which consists of my habitual market root vegetable potage with the vegetables braised in white wine, and using fish stock, then finishing with a touch of vermouth, creme fraiche, butter, & salt plus white pepper. Coq. St. J added last & pureed before serving. What I want to do is top the soup with caramelized leeks, and not only make it taste good but make it pretty.

What do you do to caramelize leeks or endives - I am talking basic techniques here - I've never caramelized leeks before. Do I actually use a little bit of sugar? Butter? duck fat? Braise and finish hot? How do I bring out the most from the leeks? Steam & finish quickly in a caramelized sauce? long slow cooking? Remember I want this to look good as well as taste good.

Please help me decide the best way to do this.

Thank you

Well, I just dove right in, started simple, and it cooked itself. :smile:

The soup and caramelized leek combination was stellar, and something I will do again.

Super easy to have my way with the leeks, took about 15 minutes.

Slice them into strips. Sautee in butter on medium heat - until done!

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0053.JPG

IMG_0060.JPG

IMG_0065.JPG

It was really really a wonderful combination. I encourage anyone to combine scallops and caramelized leeks anytime.

Very nice, Lucy.

I usually caramelize in rings because strips I deep-fry and the shape tells me what I should do. :laugh:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

wow, bleudauvergne do you take pictures of everything you cook? I just saw your posting in the quail thread and you had pictures of quail.

you must have quite a library of pictures! :-)

Edited by johnder (log)

John Deragon

foodblog 1 / 2

--

I feel sorry for people that don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day -- Dean Martin

I just keep a camera in the kitchen. It's a good habit to get into. :smile: Almost every photo I take is of food these days. A group is seated at the table and I say - Wait, let me take a photo! So everyone smiles and I lean over the plate at the end of the table. :laugh::laugh:

Very nice, Lucy.

I usually caramelize in rings because strips I deep-fry and the shape tells me what I should do.  :laugh:

I will try them in rings next time. I was thinking that they'd kind of curl somehow if I sliced them into strips. I don't know why.

wow, bleudauvergne do you take pictures of everything you cook?  I just saw your posting in the quail thread and you had pictures of quail.

you must have quite a library of pictures!  :-)

You should see bleudauvergne's blogs! I drooled for a week last time! :wub:

Ah, it's been way too long since I did a butt. - Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

--------------------

One summers evening drunk to hell, I sat there nearly lifeless…Warren