• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hokkien(Fujian) Dishes

Min

The only foods i can think of are..

Hokkien Prawn Noodles

Fried Tunghoon(fried vermicelli with pork and dried prawns)

Khong Bah Pau(buns with dark stewed meat filling)

Most dark soy sauce stewed meat dishes

My chinese dialect group is hokkien and it's kinda embarassing i can't provide curious friends with more info on fujian traditional foods :blink: .Can anyone help?

I go to a Fuzhou-style eatery every week before work. They feature sesame buns (e.g., Spicy Chicken, Eggs and Chinese Chives, Spicy Beef, Cabbage with Dried Shrimps, Pork with Cabbage), congee, and soups like Beef Tendon Soup with celery and cilantro as herbs.

Michael aka "Pan"

I go to a Fuzhou-style eatery every week before work. They feature sesame buns (e.g., Spicy Chicken, Eggs and Chinese Chives, Spicy Beef, Cabbage with Dried Shrimps, Pork with Cabbage), congee, and soups like Beef Tendon Soup with celery and cilantro as herbs.

Thanks Michael:)Apparently "Buddha Jumping Over The Wall" is by us too.

Here's a link to a description of Fujian cuisine:

http://www.china.org.cn/english/imperial/26131.htm

Growing up, there are several dishes that my mum would cook that I think are pretty distinctively Fuzhou.

1) Stir fried 白粿 (ba gui), a rice noodle (really a 'cake') cut into short fat slices.

2) Pork or chicken cooked with red rice wine lees, a by-product of making red rice wine by fermenting glutinous rice with red yeast.

3) Red rice wine, stirred into chicken soup, usually when making long-life noodles in chicken soup.

4) diang mien ngu, or literally dough stuck to the sides of a wok. Woks are called "diang" in Fuzhouhua, served in a rich and tasty broth.

5) Pork belly stewed in soy sauce and served with "butterfly" buns.

6) Hokkien noodles that are almost always stir-fried in a 'wet' style. A thick sauce containing meat, seafood and veggies is poured over dry-fried noodles.

7) Boiled thin wheat noodles, in many different styles, but always tossed with some soy and lard, possibly sometimes with sesame oil, and with pork or "bian nuk/pian sik". Two common styles are kolok mian or kampuan mian. (幹盤面).

8) wor nay, or sweet mashed taro mixed with fragrant lard.

There are all sorts of distinctive Fuzhou/Fujian buns and cakes, maybe more Fuzhou than Fujian, like "kong biang" (鋼餅), "die biang" (第餅), "junnung biang", "mani biang", etc.

Here's a link to a description of Fujian cuisine:

http://www.china.org.cn/english/imperial/26131.htm

Growing up, there are several dishes that my mum would cook that I think are pretty distinctively Fuzhou.

1) Stir fried 白粿 (ba gui), a rice noodle (really a 'cake') cut into short fat slices.

2) Pork or chicken cooked with red rice wine lees, a by-product of making red rice wine by fermenting glutinous rice with red yeast.

3) Red rice wine, stirred into chicken soup, usually when making long-life noodles in chicken soup.

4) diang mien ngu, or literally dough stuck to the sides of a wok.  Woks are called "diang" in Fuzhouhua, served in a rich and tasty broth.

5) Pork belly stewed in soy sauce and served with "butterfly" buns.

6) Hokkien noodles that are almost always stir-fried in a 'wet' style.  A thick sauce containing meat, seafood and veggies is poured over dry-fried noodles.

7) Boiled thin wheat noodles, in many different styles, but always tossed with some soy and lard, possibly sometimes with sesame oil, and with pork or "bian nuk/pian sik".  Two common styles are kolok mian or kampuan mian. (幹盤面).

8) wor nay, or sweet mashed taro mixed with fragrant lard.

There are all sorts of distinctive Fuzhou/Fujian buns and cakes, maybe more Fuzhou than Fujian, like "kong biang" (鋼餅), "die biang" (第餅), "junnung biang", "mani biang", etc.

Thanks laksa!!Looking at your icon is making me very hungry! :biggrin: I am gonna save this page and try replicating the dishes you guys mentioned.Thanks again for your help :smile:

What about soup buns? My Hokkien friend certainly specializes in them, but then she would make anything complicated just to prove that she is a better cook than her Japanese mother in law :laugh:

Helen, could your Hokkien friend possibly be from the Northen parts of Fujian province...like, waaaaaay North. :biggrin:

• 4 weeks later...

The Shanghainese dialect is apparently very similar to Hokkien/Fujianese... whatever. They understand each other. Mind you, Shanghai is a metropolis. Has been for centuries. People come from everywhere.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

I thought Fuzhou and hokkien are different, sure they share some a few thing in common, My Hokkien grandma would cook thing like sticky rice, with fried dried shrimps, chinese dried mushrooms,lap chong sausages, and fried shallot and soy sauce, traditionally given to friends and relatives when the baby is one month old, poppiah (fresh spring rolls), char bee hun (dried style) were all part of my growing in the Hokkien household, My mum's side of the family is fuchow, homemade red glutinous rice wine was and still is a big thing in household, mum still make a big vat of it from time to time, they add a spash of this wine to most thing, , especially the mee sua (thin long life noodle) with chicken broth, and use the leftover rice wine pulp to stir fried meat . Fried thick hokkien noodle 'wet style'is another favourite, they are big on fish balls, my home town of Sibu in East Malaysia, there are big fuchow population, there are things there that I haven't came across anywhere else, like kiam pon pian, shape like mini bagel, or kum puan mee, which is a dried noodle dish with seasoning of lard, soy, and more often than not msg garnished with a few thin slices of char siew pork, and fried shallot, served with a bowl of clean tasting broth. Due to massive migration in the past lots of new mixed cooking has immerged, I always find the Nonya cuisine has a very solid Hokkien foundation, especially the penang nonya.

Interesting stuff from you, Dim Sim. Fuzhou is in Fujian province, so I would have figured Fuzhounese would be considered Hokkien/Fukien/Fujian, but perhaps not. So, where do the ancestors of most of the Hokkien people in Malaysia come from? Further south, I guess?

Michael aka "Pan"

• 3 weeks later...
Interesting stuff from you, Dim Sim. Fuzhou is in Fujian province, so I would have figured Fuzhounese would be considered Hokkien/Fukien/Fujian, but perhaps not. So, where do the ancestors of most of the Hokkien people in Malaysia come from? Further south, I guess?

Hi Pan, I suppose when I mention Fuzhou and Hokkien, I am refering to their dialectic background, My grandparents had lots of Hokkien friends in Malaysia who originally came from Xiamen in the Fujian province, My grandparents came from an small island called Jinmen literal translated as ' golden door/gate' just off the coast of the mainland Fujian, (very close to Xiamen) for some reason it came to be under the rule of Taiwan and for decades, it has always been a very sensitive area. I suppose like most cuisine, with migration and change of lifestyle ( and to some religions) the style and availabilities of ingredients, and those special food that one cooks on special religious festivities are all evolving.

One Hokkien dish I like is ba gu teh. LIterally translated as meat bone tea. It's pretty satisfying and on the heavy side due to all the herbs/spices they cook it with. I've never attempted to make it at home but have had it at restaurants.

One Hokkien dish I like is ba gu teh. LIterally translated as meat bone tea. It's pretty satisfying and on the heavy side due to all the herbs/spices they cook it with. I've never attempted to make it at home but have had it at restaurants.

Is it the same stuff that is famous in Malaysia and Singapore? I had it in Singapore and it was served with fried long dough and rice. The strong pepper flavor is good in cold weather or when you have a cold. But I know some people hate the herbal flavour so there is some meat bone tea out there made without the herbal medicine. There are packaged meat bone tea spices that I buy, just add pork ribs and lots of garlic and enjoy

My MIL is Hokkien, about 70yo, she cooks very typical Hokkien food but spicy stuff like above mentioned is never cooked, I believe there is a difference between Fuzhou and Hokkien people. Hokkien also seldom cook congee, it's more like a Cantonese thing.

Thanks, Jo-Ann. And here's the first paragraph of the link to whet your appetite:

Fujian cuisine was a latecomer in southeast China along the coast. The cuisine emphasizes seafood, river fish, and shrimp. The Fujian coastal area produces 167 varieties of fish and 90 kinds of turtles and shellfish. It also produces edible bird’s nest, cuttlefish, and sturgeon. These special products are all used in Fujian cuisine.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 4 months later...

Sorry for this lag..i went back to my home country...been busy with my new home and eating :laugh::biggrin: All your replies are very informative, thank you so much! :smile:

I think every province in china has Hokkien people but the majority of them will of course come from Fujian state.My grandparents are Shandong Fujian people and they speak with a twang.Shandong Fujian's pronunciation is very different from the normal Fujian/Hokkien.I grew up learning to speak the norm and unnorm.

Bak Kut Teh also known as Pork Rib Tea is probably a South East Asian cuisine and there are 2 versions of it..

Hokkien- more star anise/sugar and the soup is dark due the dark soy sauce added..

Teochew- soup is clear and peppery..