• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Pho in Vancouver

cabrales

fmed/Knightafter: could you clarify whether there are now two locations of Song Huong (and if so, where exactly is the original?) or is it just the Nanaimo and First location?

The new one is around Nanaimo & 1st. The old one is around Nanaimo & Broadway (across from Bon's). They are keeping both locations open.

On a related note - Today, I ate pho at Hai Yen (646 Kingsway) based on Knightafter's posting at UDF....the pho was very good...the broth was clear, light, less salty and had less of the sweet spice (anise, cinnamon, clove) flavours. Sadly, they no longer serve the sawtooth herb (culantro) as part of their garnish plate.

Super great service. The Banh Mi was also very good.

fmed

de gustibus non est disputandum

fmed/Knightafter: could you clarify whether there are now two locations of Song Huong (and if so, where exactly is the original?) or is it just the Nanaimo and First location?

The new one is around Nanaimo & 1st. The old one is around Nanaimo & Broadway (across from Bon's). They are keeping both locations open.

On a related note - Today, I ate pho at Hai Yen (646 Kingsway) based on Knightafter's posting at UDF....the pho was very good...the broth was clear, light, less salty and had less of the sweet spice (anise, cinnamon, clove) flavours. Sadly, they no longer serve the sawtooth herb (culantro) as part of their garnish plate.

Super great service. The Banh Mi was also very good.

Aces -- that makes three new pho destinations to target!

PS Hai Phong on Kingsway still going strong -- went for a late-ish (8:30) bowl last night and it was even better than last time at lunch.

• 3 weeks later...

Bon Cafe on Main and 33rd is a hidden gem. It's like the next place to go if Au Petit cafe is busy. If you don't mind the really minimalistic interior (I sat at a set up picnic table) it's a place worth going. I like the soup used because it's light and doesn't give you the odd after taste. The noodles are thinner than the usual type you find but generally it's pretty big portion. The sandwiches are good too.

And as an after (or during) meal treat, you can order bubble tea too.

• 2 weeks later...
Bon Cafe on Main and 33rd is a hidden gem.  It's like the next place to go if Au Petit cafe is busy.  If you don't mind the really minimalistic interior (I sat at a set up picnic table) it's a place worth going.  I like the soup used because it's light and doesn't give you the odd after taste.  The  noodles are thinner than the usual type you find but generally it's pretty big portion.  The sandwiches are good too.

They serve pho? Isn't that place Cambodian? The sandwiches are ok, but I love the atmosphere mostly! All the temporary workers and local alcoholics gathering in the sunshine !

Bon Cafe on Main and 33rd is a hidden gem.  It's like the next place to go if Au Petit cafe is busy.  If you don't mind the really minimalistic interior (I sat at a set up picnic table) it's a place worth going.  I like the soup used because it's light and doesn't give you the odd after taste.  The  noodles are thinner than the usual type you find but generally it's pretty big portion.  The sandwiches are good too.

They serve pho? Isn't that place Cambodian? The sandwiches are ok, but I love the atmosphere mostly! All the temporary workers and local alcoholics gathering in the sunshine !

LOL, yep the first time I went that 'crowd' was there. 2nd time I went, interestingly enough, a large Japanese family was there. I sometimes go to Pho Tan (sp?) around E.30th, they're ok too.