• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Painting plastic pillars

JeanneCake

I have a bar mitzvah client who insists on having the plastic plates and pillars for her son's cake painted so they aren't white (I've tried to suggest she use the clear lucite plates/pillars I've had made, but no; she wants a three tier chocolate glazed cake on gold plates with gold pillars - well, more of a coppery color because she wants to use these wrapped chocolate footballs and the wrapper is copper colored).

It's one thing to paint the plastic posts of the miniature Torahs with luster or ultra dust, but that flakes or rubs off if it is handled. I can't imagine doing this for the plates/pillars.

What could I use that's food safe? I haven't used pillars in at least three years, but the plastic ones I do have are the push-in type, which is what I would prefer to use for stability. They snap onto the underside of the plastic plate (all I have are the scallop edge type) and go straight through the cake. The pillars are 7" tall, which means at least three inches will "show". The cake size(s) are 13, 10 and 7 rounds.

The cake is for Nov 27.

Thanks!

Jeanne

Gosh.......

I've always assumed that if I use spray paint and then clear coat on top of that, then let it

dry thoroughly, there's no problems with "food safe" issues. I've painted pillars plenty of

times......spray paint....clear coat....let dry....no problemo.

I've done gold and silver pillars too. :rolleyes:

I suppose if you're squeamish about it all, you could wrap the bottom part of your pillar in saran before you inserted it in the cake.

Edited by chefpeon (log)

Wull, what about an egg white wash & sprinkle the pillars with colored sugar - you could mix any color you want. Also great for covering up any yellowing and discoloration. I always used plain white sugar but no reason you couldn't color it. Makes it sparkley & frosty looking. Or use another type of 'glue' if egg whites won't work. Super thinned gum paste or whatever.

Edited by K8memphis (log)

I had to paint chargers gold last year so I just painted the bottom side of a clear plate and let that show through. I actually brought the gold all the way up around the beveled edge of the plate. That way no gold paint had to touch my food as the top of the plate was left alone - and thus, food grade. I'm not at all sure how your clear supports look but you can see if it will work.

Josette

Josette

hmm... I guess I was thinking I should only paint the part of the pillar that would show, but spraying the entire thing is much easier/faster/etc. I was worried about using something that might react with the cake, like how wired gum paste flowers could theoretically introduce bacteria sitting in a cake....

I am not looking forward to this, chocolate glaze always dulls a little on a cold cake and this mom is high maintenance and expects the glaze to be shiny bright the entire night.

Chefpeon, will any kind of non-toxic spray paint work? Is clear coat the same stuff? (can you tell I've never done this?!) Any words of wisdom (one coat vs two of paint and or clear coat)? I'm definitely doing the plastic pillars, my lucite ones cost a bundle to have made years ago and while no one seems interested in using them any time soon, you can bet that as soon as I paint them, someone will want them... in clear!

Thanks so much for all the help!

I am not looking forward to this, chocolate glaze always dulls a little on a cold cake and this mom is high maintenance and expects the glaze to be shiny bright the entire night.

Oh my, I have BEEN there!!! I'm sure you have all these little red flags up about this woman. Oh, the stories I have about high maintenance people. My cake shop in Redmond was just down the street from the biggest Jewish synagogue in the area. What does that tell you? I had a LOT of high maintenance nervous overbearing Bar Mitzvah Moms. Yep.

1) If you use a ganache that has some corn syrup in it, it stays glossier than the kind that doesn't . I just recently discovered this.

2) Be UPFRONT about stuff to her. Make sure she understands that the cold of the walk-in can dull it a bit. She'll appreciate your honesty, and you won't have to worry about her coming back later ranting and raving. Maybe.

Chefpeon, will any kind of non-toxic spray paint work? Is clear coat the same stuff? (can you tell I've never done this?!) Any words of wisdom (one coat vs two of paint and or clear coat)? I'm definitely doing the plastic pillars, my lucite ones cost a bundle to have made years ago and while no one seems interested in using them any time soon, you can bet that as soon as I paint them, someone will want them... in clear!

This is what I've done. I take whatever style pillar the customer has chosen, and use Krylon spray paint from the hardware store and spray it. Sometimes the pillar will need a second coat, it depends on the color of the paint, and whether you are painting a white pillar or a clear pillar. If I need a second coat I do so. When that is dry, I use Krylon Clear Coat to give it an extra gloss. Usually just one coat of that. I paint the pillars as far ahead in advance as I can, so they can dry COMPLETELY. The finish is hard and solid, and unless your cake has solvent in it :raz: none of the spray paint is going to "contaminate" your cake. But like I said, if you're in any way leery about it, the simple solution is to wrap the bottom part of your pillar in saran wrap and it will ease your mind.

Also, did you know that Wilton carries clear spiked pillars? That's what I use most of the time. When my customers want white pillars they have to special request them....otherwise my default pillar is the Wilton clear spiked, which comes in 5 inch, 7 inch and 9 inch. They are meant to be disposable, but I manage to eke more uses out of them.

You shouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg for custom lucites when you can get 'em cheap from Wilton...... :smile: