• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your favorite locally-produced snack

Ling

Right now, my favourite snack is the rosemary, raisin and pecan Raincoast Crisps from Lesley Stowe's. They recommend serving them with a dip or some cheese, but I like them just the way they are. I bought them from Urban Fare but I'm sure you can find them at Lesley Stowe's too.

Que Pasa tortilla chips and salsa, made at their shop in Richmond, at the bottom of #5 Road. Best packaged tortilla chips ever.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

OK, so it is not entirely local, but as close as it comes in the land of organic chocolate. Dagoba choclate (Oregon based) makes an amazing bar called eclipse. 87% dark chocolate. A little chunk cures my craving (but I never stop at one). They also make a great one with chiles and crunchy cocoa nibs called Xocoatl. Super yummy dark chocolate with a spicy kick at the end. They have a few other interesting flavors like lavender with dried blueberry and rosemary mint, but I haven't encountered them yet in Van. Check out their website www.dagobachocolate.com

I agree with the Raincoast Crisps. For junk food I like the Hardbite potato chips. They can't be more local for me, they are made about a block from my office in Maple Ridge by the guy who painted our building last year. Quite the enterpreneur this guy.

David Cooper

"I'm no friggin genius". Rob Dibble

http://www.starlinebyirion.com/

OK, so it is not entirely local, but as close as it comes in the land of organic chocolate. Dagoba choclate (Oregon based) makes an amazing bar called eclipse. 87% dark chocolate. A little chunk cures my craving (but I never stop at one). They also make a great one with chiles and crunchy cocoa nibs called Xocoatl. Super yummy dark chocolate with a spicy kick at the end. They have a few other interesting flavors like lavender with dried blueberry and rosemary mint, but I haven't encountered them yet in Van. Check out their website www.dagobachocolate.com

The 'new' Whole Foods store carries the Dagoba chocolate bars. I think they had about 8-10 different ones on my visit about three weeks ago. I haven't seen them any where else in Vancouver...

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

Sinfully delicious , this is my favorite locally made product. Miles of Chocolate is concocted by my friend, Miles. It's a cross between a brownie and a truffle. It's indescribably delicious. And it's now in the Nieman Marcus catalogue! GO MILES!!!

Edited to ask....How did I get into this thread???? Oops!

Edited by foodie52 (log)

A half pound or so of hand-peeled shrimp from Longliner Seafoods on Granville Island: this will surely provide just enough energy to propel one the approximate 25 metres to Oyama Sausage, where it's useful to order another half pound, but this time of Praga ham sliced so thin you could read a newspaper through it; wrapped around a cornichon or just on their own, these will fuel the weekend provisioner towards Lee's Donuts, where warm honey-glazed circles of air conflated doughy pulchritude, say two or three, should be just right to convince even the unwilling to attempt the walk towards Go Fish!, where an oyster po' boy, followed by a cod and chips, should be just enough to get home on, there to lunch.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Sinfully delicious , this is my favorite locally made product. Miles of Chocolate is concocted by my friend, Miles. It's a cross between a brownie and a truffle. It's indescribably delicious. And it's now in the Nieman Marcus catalogue! GO MILES!!!

Edited to ask....How did I get into this thread???? Oops!

You got me all excited, you tease. :raz: Now I must go over to the NM site to check how much this delicious confection costs, shipped.

I've been eating these "Gone Crackers" brand crackers that I bought from Urban Fare (made by a company in Delta). I love the blue cheese flavour. They're a little pricey for the amount you get--a box of these things make a nice snack.

www.gonecrackers.ca

Raincoast crisps has some heavy competition from the new C restaurant crackers. Try the ones with black sesame and  nori...and if you feel flushed, sample them at the source. They're on Urban Fare's shelves.

I tried the C restaurant new caper and red onion crackers at the Feast of Fields event in September and they were extremely good. I've been on the look out for them as I thought they would become my new favourite snack. I saw them for sale for the first time at Les Amis du Fromage last week, but they were so expensive for a very small amount that I just couldn't bring myself to buy them. :sad:

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

I, too, have to chime in on Leslie Stowe's rosemary, pecan and raisin Raincoast Crisps. They've definitely become my favourite tv watching snack of late, eaten with yogurt, fruit, cheese or just on their own. Invited some friends over for dinner last night and dished up some crisps to accompany our cheese course of Caron double cream brie and Wensleydale with blueberries. Delicious. In fact, I think I'll go help myself to the leftovers of that cheese course right now. :rolleyes:

Another item high on my snacking list is the roasted eggplant/garlic/sundried tomato dip from Urban Fare. Accompany that with some spinach naan cut up into triangles for dipping and I'm all set for CSI!

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Another item high on my snacking list is the roasted eggplant/garlic/sundried tomato dip from Urban Fare.  Accompany that with some spinach naan cut up into triangles for dipping and I'm all set for CSI!

I like picking a different goodie from the deli case every time I'm there. The cherry tomatoes stuffed with feta are also good! I like using Elsa's Story Black Pepper crackers for their dips.

(Love CSI too :wub: )

We like Ronny's Original Artichoke Dip. It's made in Vancouver, & we buy it at the deli counter in Stong's. I've made my own, but this is far nicer....and more expensive, of course. :smile:

Also love those Raincoast Crisps & Gone Crackers. Stong's had samples of C's crackers out this weekend, & they were tasty as well.

Raincoast crisps has some heavy competition from the new C restaurant crackers. Try the ones with black sesame and  nori...and if you feel flushed, sample them at the source. They're on Urban Fare's shelves.

I tried the C restaurant new caper and red onion crackers at the Feast of Fields event in September and they were extremely good. I've been on the look out for them as I thought they would become my new favourite snack. I saw them for sale for the first time at Les Amis du Fromage last week, but they were so expensive for a very small amount that I just couldn't bring myself to buy them. :sad:

How much were they on sale for? I bought a box at the regular price at Les Amis du Fromage today (I think it was $6.95?) I like the caper and red onion crackers much more than the other flavour they have, the sesame and nori.

• 5 months later...

There's a small shop in the south end of the first floor of the Aberdeen Centre in Richmond that only sells jerky. The sweet pork jerky is so good we buy it by the pound. They'll seal it for you so that it keeps for a long time.

Paul B

Miniature phyllo-wrapped beef wellingtons and potato wrapped prawns with kumquat marmalade at Fiction are stupidly addictive. 4 for 11 bucks.

Cupcakes on Denman.

Biltong from Serengeti Foods.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine