• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whistler Restaurants

robert brown

Here is another update.

Quattro is offering a spring 3 course menu for 29.95 a person for a limited time.

Rimrock Cafe is starting their 3 course special on Sun. April 17. Don't know the cost or menu yet but I will keep you informed.

The Wildflower in The Whistler Chateau is offering a 3 course for 39.00 Sunday thru Thursday 6-10 pm and every Tuesday they are offering a "Fresh from the sea" night for an individual it costs 40.00 and for two 90.00

Hy's Steakhouse is offering 20% off all food for a limited time.

Thai One On is offering 50% off their menu (with the purchase of a beverage) for the remainder of the month of April.

Zeuski's is offering 20% off their lunch menu and 50% off appetizers between 4-6 pm everyday.

Hope this helps

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a special that has not been advertised yet. On Sunday, the Bearfoot Bistro is starting their annual "Lobsterfest." This is a great deal, soup/salad, lobster and dessert for 29.95.

Get your lobster bibs on boys and girls and head up to Whistler.

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

• 1 month later...
Here's a special that has not been advertised yet. On Sunday, the Bearfoot Bistro is starting their annual "Lobsterfest." This is a great deal, soup/salad, lobster and dessert for 29.95.

Get your lobster bibs on boys and girls and head up to Whistler.

Oyster Guy

Went up to Whistler for a couple of days earlier this week and celebrated my husband's 60th birthday at Bearfoot Bistro. I must say, the $29.95 3-course lobster dinner was a steal! I had the carrot & ginger soup (rich tasting and light on ginger), steamed whole lobster served with perfectly prepared asparagus (and other veggies) and finished off with the Lavender Pavlova. My husband had the mussels and fries (excellent honey brown mussels - $10 extra charge), steak in peppercorn sauce (he said my lobster was tastier) and finished off with house sorbet (apple, pear and ??? I can't remember). Oh, we also started off our meal with a dozen oysters at the special price of $9.95. I thought I had read somewhere in this forum that the oyster special was just between 5:00pm and 6:00pm; but looking at the menu, there was no mention of time limit and we ordered it well after 6:00 pm. I had a couple of martinis that night and my husband had a few highballs (no expensive wines). Our bill came to $150 with tax and tip - unbelievable! The room was cozy and intimate (a little on the dark side as I was having some trouble reading the menu). The service was friendly - not hovering. Bearfoot Bistro has always been one of our favourite restaurants in Whistler. At this price, it certainly cannot be beat!

• 3 weeks later...

I am hoping someone can suggest a place in or around whistler with good food without too high of a price point. As much as I would love to hit Araxi etc I need a place with main courses that top at $25. Location and style of cuisine does not matter.

Thanks so much in advance.

Carumba is not bad for salads, pastas, and sandwiches. Had a lamb roll up that was pretty good and prices are decent.

Splitz Burger has been recommended to me but I have been personally - so I cannot say.

I am sure other's will have better advice.

My advice is to pick up copies of the Pique Newsmagazine and the Question when you arrive. It's been a slow summer in Whistler this year and there are quite a few deals to be had - especially if you're not going to be there on a weekend. For example, Tuesday night Apres French Bistro has a two course prix fixe menu for $28, Brasserie val d"Isere has a 3 course menu for $29.95 all summer and Wildwood Pacific Bistro has mains in the $10 - 20 range. If you like sushi, a very nice meal can be had at Sachi Sushi for $25/person. Finally, every Thursday Fifty Two 80 at the Four Seasons has a seafood BBQ and buffet dinner (prawns, oysters, BBQ salmon, Atlantic lobster and Alberta beef plus dessert for $42. From the positive reviews of Fifty Two 80 elsewhere on this board, this may be the deal of the year.

Edited by rm_blizzard (log)

Here are some solid, non-generic rooms where you can work the menu a little to your financial advantage and still feel that you've had a night out in the Duchy of Whistler:

Après: Nifty small plates menu from chef Eric Vernice

Quattro: bricked game hen or Spaghetti Quattro

Caramba!: spit-roasted leg of lamb

BBK's Pub: Chef Bernard Casavant cooks local and flavoursome next door to the Fairmont Chateau Whistler.

Val d'Isere: Chef Roland Pfaff runs prix fixe specials and there's an attractive patio.

Dubh Lin Gate Pub Better than average pub fare; attractive patio

The Crab Shack: Quality oysters and crab.

Hoz's Pub Lots of locals (mountain girls in their cleanest bra) go for the value steaks in the pub and next-door restaurant.

And bear in mind that lunches in restaurants such as Araxi or Fifty Two 80 are about half the price of dinner. Also, dinner at the bar at Fifty Two 80, Araxi or Bearfoot can--with precision ordering at least--be moderately priced.

Edited by jamiemaw (log)

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Thank you all so much for your advice! I will report back on what we decide. Though I am excited to see the good value options at Araxi etc I needed a place because I am being taken out by people (lucky me!!) for dinner and I know they are not able to spend large amounts of money so I don't want to send them somewhere intimidating. However, I still wanted a unqiue place so these options look great! Thanks again.

I am hoping someone can suggest a place in or around whistler with good food without too high of a price point. As much as I would love to hit Araxi etc I need a place with main courses that top at $25. Location and style of cuisine does not matter.

Thanks so much in advance.

I think that Monks may fit your price range. http://www.monksgrill.com Although in the summer the Wizard’s base is pretty quiet and there is not match going on. I have had dinner there many times years ago and the dual mountain burger for lunch was always a favourite, more times than I can remember, since the same was usually paired with copious amounts of beer during by ski bum days. I am not sure if they have this burger anymore but it was obscenely large and was only $12 bucks. I second Carumba also. Cheap and not too bad. I have not been to either place for years so take this advice accordingly.

officially left egullet....

I recommend Le Gros (formerly le Deux Gros). It fits your price range, and the things that Pascal does well (mussels, rack of lamb, salmon wellington) he does very well. Moreover you can play boules with him between courses - and if you win - which is unlikely - he'll pick up the tab.

Pascal is a bit of an outsider in Whistler, spends no $$ on advertising and relies entirely on word of mouth for his trade. We have more consistently enjoyed our meals there over the past fifteen years than at any other Whistler restaurant.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked the "Pinned" guide and searched on Whistler, but saw no answers. Pretty simple request.

We are spending 2 nights in Whistler August 24-24 (at the Westin). Any recommendations for lunch and especially dinner?

There's nothing specifically "Whistler in the Summer" but the good restaurants are still the good restaurants.

This thread has a pretty comprehensive list and lots of links to restaurant websites.

This thread has some more up-to-date recommendations.

Araxi has the best patio/food combination, IMO, for a sunny day.

Enjoy your stay!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I checked the "Pinned" guide and searched on Whistler, but saw no answers.  Pretty simple request.

We are spending 2 nights in Whistler August 24-24 (at the Westin).  Any recommendations for lunch and especially dinner?

Thanks for the heads up Bill. I'll add the Whistler links soon!

Deborah's links are the same I found

A.

At this time of year, with the late light, I would strongly urge you to consider the Edgewater for dinner. It is a stunning location and view - and the kitchen is also first rate.

There are a handful of places in Whistler where you will have an excellent meal - but in the summer, the location of the Edgewater will make that meal unforgettable. I cannot think of another place in Whistler that comes close from this perspective.

Full disclosure: I am not a shameless shill: I have no financial interest in the place - nor do I know anyone who does.

Araxi has the best patio & great food. 5280 restaurant in the Four Seasons has a great special on thursday night also a great patio. Apres Restaurant has 2 course special for $20.00 funky room. La Rua has a 3 course special 39.95 any thing on there menu. Champagne Bar next to the Bearfoot Bistro has half price menu from 6pm to 7pm

hope this can help

I just spent the long weekend in Whistler and dined at Araxi, Hy's, Quattro, and Apres.

Araxi was the first stop. The food and setting were spectacular, however, the service was not up to the usual standards. That being said, my wife and I still had a good meal. We started with the oysters whcih are always fresh from the raw bar. Next it was onto Alaskan scallops which were perfectly cooked. We then both went out seperate ways. I had the lamb which was a combination of rack and leg and was so tender it was simply amazing. My wife had the dunganess crab pasta which was boring (just crab, pasta and a general tomato sauce). She then had the chocolate molten cake which made her forget all about the pasta! Overall it was a decent meal and we would return just for the patio setting.

Dinner at Hy's the next night was the best of the trip. I am not usually a big fan of steak houses and having dined at Hy's a number of times in Vancouver I was not expecting much. However, our server that evening was one of the best I have ever had (and we were dining with our friends who had an 18 month old). We shared prawn cocktails, garlic bread, and then dug into our steaks. Each was perfectly cooked and the accompaniments were great from steamed vegetables to fries and extra hollandaise. A simple but great meal and wonderful dining experience.

Night three ended up being a group dinner at Quattro in the private dining room. We kep our server on his toes for most of the evening with 18 of us each wanting special requests. Each was handled perfectly and the evening was a great success. Most of the table went for the antipasto platter to start which incorporated many of the restaurants appetizers onto one platter for all to share. The group then went all over the map with many people opting for many variations of pasta, while a number of people also went with the special "Surf and Turf" of ahi tuna and veal loin. Good food, reasonable wine prices (if you do some searching) and good service.

Our last meal was at Apres and it was very good as well. We shared a number of dishes including a cold soup trio with andalusian gazpacho with pan-seared lobster,

chilled mussels in saffron soup, and vichyssoise with white truffles. Next we shared the ahi tuna with avocado pana-cotta and Banyuls vinegar. For the main we shared the Muscovy Duck breast with caramelized pear, pan d'epice, honey lavender jus and foie gras ravioli. The food was outstanding, the service was not.

Overall, the only dinner this weekend that exceeded my expectations on all fronts was at Hy's. I will be up in Whistler again in a couple of weeks and hope to go and check out 52/80 and the Wildflower which are two I have not tried since last year. I will report back then!

Cheers,

Eric

• 2 months later...

*BUMP*

I take it that the recommendations in this thead are still the most up to date vis-à-vis Whistler eateries?

We'll be there from Oct. 7 to Oct. 14. but not sure if we'll be spending every night in Whistler. I would certainly like to go into Vancouver at least once!

Besides the list I've read here, my daughter suggests we go to the Rimrock Café. I was also considering the Edgewater but according to their website, it appears they're closed for renovations.

Any other thoughts ?

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

Try the restaurant at the Four Seasons Whistler. They have a great deal on at the moment. Sun - Thurs, $39... Start with a seafood tasting, your choice of appy, then your choice of main. All off the the a la carte menu. Or $45 for the 3 courses with a choice of dessert. You cant beat it. We went with the inlaws last week and it was outstanding!

Very good, thanks. Is that the 52/80? I had that on my list as well.

Not that we will make everything on my list, but this is what I had so far:

- Rimrock Café

- Araxi

- Edgewater (Except now I find out it's closed)

- Après

- 52/80

- Quattro

- Le Gros

- Aubergine Grille

- Dubh Linn Gate Pub

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

Very good, thanks.  Is that the 52/80?  I had that on my list as well.

Not that we will make everything on my list, but this is what I had so far:

- Rimrock Café

- Araxi

- Edgewater (Except now I find out it's closed)

- Après

- 52/80

- Quattro

- Le Gros

- Aubergine Grille

- Dubh Linn Gate Pub

***I would add Bearfoot Bistro to your list. Two fantastic dinners there this summer.