• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whistler Restaurants

robert brown

Robert, here are a few that we have enjoyed (except Bearfoot Bistro).

Rim Rock Cafe $$$$

Bearfoot Bistro $$$$

Il Caminetto Di Umberto $$$$

Trattoria Di Umberto $$$

Wildflower Restaurant $$$$

$$$ = ุ to ์ Cdn.

$$$$ = ์ and above

Although we haven't been to Bearfoot Bistro, it gets rave reviews.  

Enjoy!

I was just reading about Bearfoot Bistro in February's Sunset magazine.  Looks very intriguing and expensive...here is part of what they had to say (paraphrased a bit)...Perhaps the most unusual restaurant at Whistler is the Bearfoot Bistro.  It's menu combines ingredients flown in fresh from all over the world:  On any given night, you might sample bluefin tuna from Maine, white truffles from Italy, or chocolate from Madagascar.  "We want the best of the best, and we'll go to the ends of the world to get it" says restaurant founder Andre St. Jacques."  It goes on to say many Whistler restaurants, including Bearfoot Bistro, offer live music and are very much part of the growing cultural life here, www.bearfootbistro.com

Other restaurants mentioned in the article are: Araxi Restaurant & Bar (continental cuisine w/NW & Japanese influences, http://www.araxi.com/araxi/  ;  Dubh Linn Gate Old Irish Pub (excellent Guinness & Crab soup); Longhorn Saloon (best burgers).

note: the online menu prices are in Cdn $.  To convert to US $, multiply the amount by .63  (approximately, ie ส Araxi Salmon dinner x .63 = ภ.38 US).

I haven't been to Whistler yet.  If you go, please give us a report when you get back!

(Edited by Blue Heron at 10:40 am on Feb. 1, 2002)

I really dislike Whistler. It is a nauseatingly planned community, almost completely lacking in character. A major disappointment.

But to your question: I've visited Araxi's sister restaurants in Vancouver, but never Araxi itself. However I can vouch for the seriousness of the organization behind the place. I don't think you'll find world-class cuisine there, but it should be quite good and no doubt energetic.

Now if you're going to be smart and go to Vancouver, there I can be of more service.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Steven, sorry you didn't enjoy Whistler.  I've been going there for years (live about an hour away).  I must be blind.  I have only experienced the great scenery, refreshing outdoor activities, and the wonderful feeling at the end of a hard day at play.  It's when you come indoors, plunk yourself down in front of the fire, drink in hand, appetizers served, that you mull over which restaurant you're going to eat at that evening.  

Just thought of another good French restaurant in the village -- Val d'Isere.  Bon appetit!

S.

Sandra, Whistler does have all those things you mentioned, but you must admit the community itself is basically a shopping mall. I was unprepared for that, because it is hyped as though it is some sort of old-world charming place, which is only arguably true of one property. I would much rather see a different town substituted for the one that's there. Even within that milieu, I prefer the job the same developers did on Tremblant, which does not rival Whistler's natural excellence but has a much more unartificial feeling town. Am I completely off base here? Was I blindered when I spent several days in Whistler two years ago? Perhaps I missed the good part of town.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 3 months later...

Vancouver Magazine's April 2002 edition names the following as the best restaurants in Whistler as part of its 13th Annual Restaurant Awards -- Gold: Araxi, Silver: Bearfoot Bistro, Bronze: La Rua; runners up: Quattro at Whistler, Val d'Isere. Note I do not attribute much weight to the above list, and have not visited any Whistler restaurants.  However, I thought the list could be one of multiple reference points.  :wink:

Steven S-- When you have a chance, what are Araxi's sibling restaurants in Vancouver and how was the cuisine at such restaurants?

• 2 years later...

Apres Restaurant

Fifty Two 80 Bar

I do not know if someone has asked about these new kids on the block so I am going to ask, what is up with theses places and how are they fitting in to the dinning scene in whistler?

steve

THE RAW BAR

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oysters On the Half Shell 

Add a Nectar - Chilli Oil, Shallot Mignonette 

Shooters With a Splash of Wine 

Shots - Lobster, Dungeness Crab, British Columbia Spot Prawns, Rock Shrimp 

Saucy, Mary Rose, Citrus Aioli, Green Goddess, Traditional Cocktail 

Salmon Tasting - Raw Bar Daily Salmon Creations 

Sashimi - Tuna and Scallop with Citrus Vinnaigrette, Tomato and Chives

Firecracker Roll - Spicy Tuna Hand Roll 

GOOD SNACKING

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frites - Lemon Garlic Aioli 

Onion Rings - Sprinkled with Fontina 

Veggie Dim Sum 

Popcorn Shrimp, Traditional Sauce 

Mini Burgers - Beef Short Rib and Foie Gras, Shallot Jam 

Mini Crab Cakes, Mary Rose Sauce 

Tempura Prawn Roll 

Crispy Calamari, Cherry Cayenne Aioli 

Caesar Salad with Romaine Lettuce 

With Chicken 

Grilled Chicken Sandwich on Texas Bread 

The Burger with Aged Cheddar, Mushrooms 

Dungeness Crab or Shrimp Louis with Classic Sauce 

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

• 3 weeks later...

I just wanted to add my thoughts on both these restaurants.

On New Year's Eve, I was one of the few fortunate not to have to work and decided to treat myself and made a reservation at Apres for the 1st seating.

While the room is nice and cosy, I waited 41 minutes to get bread on the table.

Althought the food was very good, the lackluster service took away from both the enjoyment of that and the wine.

I was very tempted to leave after only 2 courses but stuck it out hoping that maybe at sometime the waiter might get it together but I was again disappointed.

The staff turnover at Apres is such that they should install a revolving door as they had ads in the paper every week advertising almost every position except for the chef and manager.

5280 Bistro at the 4 Seasons

While the service was good (and you usually get this type of service at the 4 Seasons or at the very least expect it) the food was uninspired and the wine list was a joke as they only kept one bottle of each it seemed in stock! Once it was sold, they didn't have anymore! I have never seen anything like this in 20 years of the business and I hope I never do.

I was very disappointed at the food though as I have eaten at Truffles in Toronto where their executive chef came from and was very pleased there.

Maybe all the turmoil and trouble of opening a new restaurant in Whistler combined with a lack of talent in the labour pool in Whistler combined to do this.

But I would expect and want better than this from a company such as the 4 Seasons for my dining dollars.

I won't return to either place for dining as I was disappointed with both places, for the reasons I have listed.

But of course, that is just my opinion!

Oyster Guy

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

Thanks for the honest re-ply.

I was so very curious of the standards of both theses places, being a chef in Whistler is a challenge; good staff is very hard to get, if you are a chef in whistler and get good staff, you will go far, because the work load can get to be like 80 hours a week, this stress can burn out the best, the night life can be inviting, when you work that much, you go out, it can burn you out even faster; sports, whistler is good for that, great skiing year round, mountain biking that is extreme, all water sports, camping and hiking that is limitless. The sports keep you in shape cause you need to be, to work that much.

steve

Edited by stovetop (log)
Cook To Live; Live To Cook

I had posted in the summer about our dining experiences in Whistler. The summary is that we had a less than excellent meal at Bearfoot and an excellent experience at 5280. Mind you it was the late summer - that might have had something to do with it. But, the fact remains, that on the whole when we are at Whistler, we rarely eat out - even on the mountain because the prices are just too high for us - especially when you have wine. The markups are beyond our wallets.

We haven't been yet this year because of the poor snow conditions but I have a loaded Edge card so I am anxious to get up there. I hate to think I have paid for lift tickets I won't use. It will be interesting to see what happens this year and whether we pre-buy our lift tickets again. It really burns me to think I might eat the whole thing. Let's pray for snow. Please.

Cheers,

Karole

I had posted in the summer about our dining experiences in Whistler. The summary is that we had a less than excellent meal at Bearfoot and an excellent experience at 5280. Mind you it was the late summer - that might have had something to do with it. But, the fact remains, that on the whole when we are at Whistler, we rarely eat out - even on the mountain because the prices are just too high for us - especially when you have wine. The markups are beyond our wallets. 

We haven't been yet this year because of the poor snow conditions but I have a loaded Edge card so I am anxious to get up there. I hate to think I have paid for lift tickets I won't use. It will be interesting to see what happens this year and whether we pre-buy our lift tickets again. It really burns me to think I might eat the whole thing. Let's pray for snow. Please.

Karole, there is snow at the top, just not at the bottom...last weekend they had a 50% off promotion for food at Pika's, too...they're doing a lot to make up for the crappy weather. I'm not a huge Whistler fan on the whole, but they are seriously trying to make it worthwhile (they were giving free replacement lift tickets, e.g.).

:smile:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Actually the snow conditions at the bottom of the hill are better because there has been a lot of snowmaking. It is unbelievably bare at the mid-mountain. Don't use any skis that you like. But still, I'd go somewhere else until there is a huge snowfall.

I see from the sign that the former Les Deux Gros has re-opened as Les Gros - after being the Jade somethingorother for a year or so - and I also heard that Pascal (sp?) is back as owner/chef.

Has anyone eaten there?

I see from the sign that the former Les Deux Gros has re-opened as Les Gros - after being the Jade somethingorother for a year or so - and I also heard that Pascal  (sp?) is back as owner/chef.

Has anyone eaten there?

Yes, The fat man himself, Pascal is back at the helm of Les Gros and it is very nice to have him back in town.

He is the only person to make that location work as he has a strong local customer base.

I sadly have not eaten there since he re-opened but I hear he has quite a similar menu to the one he had before. That is not a bad thing however as he specialized in good simple French countryside fare. For the money, it is one of the best places to eat in Whistler as you always get really good value(a word not often used in this town) for the money.

His sauces are worth the trip alone to the outskirts of Whistler.

I hope to go there in the coming weeks and I will give you a better report than this. But it really is worth checking out.

Eleanor Clark

• 1 month later...

On New Year's Eve, I was one of the few fortunate not to have to work and decided to treat myself and made a reservation at Apres for the 1st seating.

Althought the food was very good, the lackluster service took away from both the enjoyment of that and the wine.

I was very tempted to leave after only 2 courses but stuck it out hoping that maybe at sometime the waiter might get it together but I was again disappointed.

The staff turnover at Apres is such that they should install a revolving door as they had ads in the paper every week advertising almost every position except for the chef and manager.

While the service was good (and you usually get this type of service at the 4 Seasons or at the very least expect it) the food was uninspired and the wine list was a joke as they only kept one bottle of each it seemed in stock! Once it was sold, they didn't have anymore! I have never seen anything like this in 20 years of the business and I hope I never do.

I was very disappointed at the food though as I have eaten at Truffles in Toronto where their executive chef came from and was very pleased there.

Maybe all the turmoil and trouble of opening a new restaurant in Whistler combined with a lack of talent in the labour pool in Whistler combined to do this.

But I would expect and want better than this from a company such as the 4 Seasons for my dining dollars.

I won't return to either place for dining as I was disappointed with both places, for the reasons I have listed.

Oyster Guy

Let's face it. I should stick to what I know best. Oysters. I wish to withdraw the above remarks as they were very unfair and I judged the place unfairly.

I apologize tto the management and staff at The Four Seasons as they have proven to me since that they are indeed a world class operation.

I am an idiot sometimes but I don't think they should suffer because of my brief stupidity.

Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark

Oyster Guy

Let's face it. I should stick to what I know best. Oysters. I wish to withdraw the above remarks as they were very unfair and I judged the place unfairly.

I apologize tto the management and staff at The Four Seasons as they have proven to me since that they are indeed a world class operation.

I am an idiot sometimes but I don't think they should suffer because of my brief stupidity.

Oyster Guy

There's an interesting thread in the UK forum about UK restaurant critics. Many of them seemingly render their judgements based on only one visit. They blame it on expense and mobility issues.

But I would maintain that multiple visits are the only way to fairly and accurately evaluate another person's business. Now you do too.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Thanks for the (somewhat late) enlightenment.

I have tried to make my amends in a honourable fashion and rescind my earlier statements and I will never make that mistake again,

I have never claimed nor will I ever claim to be a food reviewer or anything else that I am not.

I am human and prone to make errors once in a while like everyone else in this imperfect world.

But when a person admits to an error, I never speak to them in what one may construe or misconstrue as a condescending tone.

Life is a learning process and as I am still living, I am still learning.

Thanks for the advice. I will take it to heart.

However as I have stated, I will never again offer my opinions of any restaurant as my expertise lies with shellfish.

Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark

• 1 month later...

Well, spring has finally arrived and with it comes the annual spring drop in dining prices here in Whistler.

Here is a list of the places that are offering deals this time of year.

1. 5280 Bistro and Bar at the Four Seasons is offering a "Tasting Menu with legs."

They are offering a 3 course meal for 34.00 a person.

If you have not yet had the chance to try this new Whistler restaurant, well here is your chance and it is a great deal.

2. Apres Restaurant is offering a prix fixe menu at 20.00 for 2 courses and 30.00 for 3 courses from April 12th. This is an excellent chance to try Chef Eric Vernice's cooking and experience the warm and cozy atmosphere of one of Whistler's new hotspots. You can view their menus online at www.apresrestaurant.com and even make your reservation there as well.

3. Val d'Isere Brasserie is offering 3 spectacular 3 course menus to choose from starting at 29.95. That's a lot of choice for only 30.00 and Chef/owner Roland is very talented and the place is very warm and friendly.

4. Edgewater Lodge is offering a spring special of a 3 course dinner for 35.00 until April 24th. it includes soup/salad, Choice of fresh halibut filet with baby shrimp sauce and pistachio risotto or Chicken picatta with parmesan, portebello mushrooms, egg, and saffron spaghettini and of course dessert.

Very nice views as it is located right on Green Lake.

5. Teppan Village is offering a 3 course menu for 25.00 and also a New York Steak with a 1lb lobster for 35.00

That's a lot of food and entertainment for a little money.

6. Bearfoot Bistro is offering a 50% discount on its Champagne Bar menu from Sunday to Thursday and if you couple that with their daily oyster special ( a dozen for 9.95) that is a hell of a deal.

Well, there you go e-gullet guys and girls and if there are any updates, I will be sure to post them.

So, if you are coming to take advantage of the spring snow we have been receiving, you can also take advantage of the spring dining specials.

Hope this helps

Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark

Well, spring has finally arrived and with it comes the annual spring drop in dining prices here in Whistler. . . .

Hope this helps

Oyster Guy

It sure does help, OG. Many thanks for all the tips.

Jamie

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

No problem, Eric. Only to happy to help.

A little timesaver for you in future might be to check out www.piquenewsmagazine.com as they have weekly updates of things that are going on and ads for specials at restaurants, spas and hotels.

If you need any help in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me Eric as sometimes the locals know about events long before they ever hit the papers.

It's a small town :laugh:

Take good care

Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark

Just a little update.

The Bearfoot Bistro has reduced it's dining room menu but has also drastically reduced it's prices as well.

A 5 course meal is now only 50.00 and 3 course 40.00

I don't know about the rest of you but I'm going for dinner.

Take care

Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark