• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whistler Restaurants

robert brown

I'll recommend Le Gros again. We eat there a lot and it is always a pleasure. Not trendy - but sort of like an old eatery with a good kitchen that you might stumble across in the French Alps.

Umberto's Trattoria should probably also be on your list for good Italian fare. Always reliable.

Fifty-Two 80 was great for dinner when I was there, but the Four Seasons is quite out of the way. Beautiful hotel, and the guest rooms are fantastic. (what do you expect for a brand new 5 diamond hotel?)

Bearfoot Bistro's 5 course dinner ($125 pp) was one of the best meals of my life, and that's saying something.

Wildflower at the Fairmont Chateau Whistler is also an excellent restaurant, I've eaten there 3 or 4 times.

Whistler is hard, though, most restaurants are either high end or casual, not much in between.

Ian McTavish

General Manager / Capones Restaurant & Live Jazz Club

A group of us just had the 3-course prix fixe at Bearfoot on Sunday. The 3-course is $50, but they also have I guess "premium" options on the menu which of course also involve extra costs.

Amuse was a shredded duck confit with a sour cherry atop a crouton (excellent sweet / sour flavour combo with the duck / cherry (ETA: I'm not saying it's new, but it was well done)), then I had the smoked duck salad (I loved the toasted hazlenuts, and there were more cherries, but sadly not much duck!). The champagne and citrus palate cleanser was next, followed by my main of lamb (chops, in sausage with fennel, and braised into a stew; add $5), and dessert of chocolate fondant (deliciously balanced chocolate and orange flavours). The final stroke was the petit fours (choc hazlenut truffle, coated in chocolate, then in cocoa powder - excellent; shortbread stars; candied apricot - also very good; and some sort of chocolate cookie?).

The superstar was the caribou (as ordered by N's cousin's boyfriend) - by far and away the best dish of the evening, though it also carries a $20 surcharge above the regular $50 for the 3-course. The meat was that buttery kind of tender, and the flavour at the end was slightly gamey but not nearly as blatant as say venison.

I also tasted the butter-poached lobster tail (add $15), which was very good but really how could you go wrong with that? Had excellent reports on the corn and lobster gratin that came with the tail, but I did not try. Oh ahd N's olive oil poached halibut main was very good as well - so rich with the olive flavour infused into the fish. The other main at the table was the filet mignon, which I did not try either.

Honorable mention (starters) would go to the green salad with 20 year old balsamic. Again, how can you go wrong with 20 year old balsamic?

Other desserts were buttermilk pannecotta with baked strawberries (good reports); trio of sorbets (same); and N's cheese plate (sheep blue, goat blue, one I forget, and sharp cheddar - my favourite; add $? tho).

One of the sommeliers (Chris? sorry if I got that wrong!) helped me wrestle through the wine bible. It was quite the assortment of dishes, and we ended up going with the Kaesler Old Vine Grenache 2000 (Gismond has notes on this bottle). At first sniff I was quite surprised by the chemical smell (acetone), and in retrospect I should have asked because frankly I don't know how much is "acceptable". However it tasted fine, and by the end of the meal I thought it had opened nicely. IMO it was a perfect match with the sharp cheddar that came on N's cheese plate.

Overall it was good value; the service was very good, and Chris' help was invaluable because the wine list is just daunting. But you can very easily add $15+ to your "$50 prix fixe" by going for the top notch items. (And once you're there, why wouldn't you?)

Next time I might try eating at the bar where you can get a AAA Alberta sirloin and fries for $20, or honey mussels and fries for $15. AAA steak and an excellent glass of cab for $32 - now that's a deal.

----------

We also had a drink at the Dubh Linn Gate earlier that day, it is a beautiful pub where you can get Guiness and Smithwicks (amongst others) on tap. N's cousin's boyfriend reported that the Guiness was as good as he's had in England, although even that's nothing compared to a real pint in Ireland. Also no shamrock on top, which surprised me.

Edited by BCinBC (log)

• 1 month later...

Was just up in Whistler over the weekend and stopped in at the new Elements Tapas in the Summit Lodge for lunch. Finally there is a place in Whistler where you can get inventive food at a resonable price. It's a gorgeous room and wish that we hadn't bought 24oz t-bones for the bbq later on as I would have loved to go back for dinner. My buddy had been in before and he said that the portions were a good size. $14 for a steak frites is not too bad in my book. The wine list is ecclectic and has some very interesting selections. So I had a massive ceasar salad with dynamite dressing, big shavings of grand padano and crispy fried capers for 6 bucks! Open faced baguette, tomato's, frisee, crispy pancetta and a huge fried soft-shell crab on top for 9 bucks!

Another place you might want to check out is Rick's Grill (located in the Crystal Lodge buliding)

Huge portions, great prices and a funky little place to have dinner or just drinks.

Check out their bar!

I also would advise Elements. The kitchen is open late and they also serve breakfast till 3:00 p.m. ( a must for the seasoned Whistler vistor)

The kitchen is run by a very dear and close friend of mine, Kate Brewster and she and her staff are a lot of fun to talk to if you sit at the bar.

The prices are very reasonable and late at night, a very nice alternative to Subway or Domino's for a late night nosh.

Also the room is amazing! Warm, cozy and they have a waterfall!

I would also check out BBK's (upper village) and the new Cinnamon Bear Lounge in the Hilton for other good reasonable local eats.

For breakfast, go to the Wildwood.

I would not go to the Crab Shack for oysters though. (Sorry Jamie) :sad:

The best place and deal for oysters is the Bearfoot Bistro.

A daily apres special of 9.95 a dozen simply can't be beat outside of Florida and Louisiana.

I don't really know about the Dub Linh Gate though.

Their beer prices are the highest in town and the food while passable for a pub was really nothing to write home about.

Also, I don't like eating at places that have to employ doormen. I generally do not look for a rowdy dining experience. Unless I'm at Rodney's :laugh:

Have fun and eat well.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Edited by Oyster Guy (log)

"Why then, the world is mine oyster, which I with sword, shall open."

William Shakespeare-The Merry Wives of Windsor

"An oyster is a French Kiss that goes all the way." Rodney Clark

"Oyster shuckers are the rock stars of the shellfish industry." Jason Woodside

"Obviously, if you don't love life, you can't enjoy an oyster."

Eleanor Clark

I realize this thread was specifically for Spring specials, but will be heading to Whistler shortly and was wondering if there are any Winter deals to be had?

I believe Tourism Whistler has "Dine & Unwind" event until December 11 with multi-course prix fixe menus ($19.95-$39.95) at different restaurants. See website: http://www.tourismwhistler.com/www/events/...neandunwind.asp

Unfortunately when the snow level rises in Whistler, the prices have a tendency to do the same.

The oyster special at the Bearfoot Bistro is the only one going that I know of.

A lot of places here make 70% or more of their annual income in the next 4 months and of course, they want to maximize their profits.

I will hunt around but there are a few places here where the prices are reasonable all year round and the food is good and the portions are healthy.

1. Elements (Summit Lodge) I have mentioned this place in another thread here but it is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and serves breakfast till 3:00 p.m.

It is a nice cozy spot and has a good but small wine list and is worth checking out.

Their kitchen is open till 12:00 a.m., which is rare for Whistler and is a great late nite choice for a snack.

2. Wildwood Pacific Bistro (Whistler Racquet Club, near Marketplace) Great locals place open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

3. Carumba (Village) is also a good place for lunch or dinner.

4. Les Gros (West Side road) Pascal does a fantastic job in this cozy place and the food is fantastic and so are his prices. A bit out of the village but definetly worth the trip.

Here are a few to help you out and you can also ask any local as we are all in the tourist business in one form or the other and are very helpful.

Have a good time

Hope this helps

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark

I second the recommendation for Elements. I had a late breakfast there today and it was excellent. Crisp pancetta, goat cheese fritatta with a great potato tart. The tapas menu looks fantstic as well and the wine list offers a great selection. The service was friendly (but not very efficient). I can't wait to go back and try the drinks and dinner menu. Very reasonable prices - especially for Whistler.

Also of note - Apres is doing a Chef's tasting menu for $45 but it only lasts until the 15th!

Cheers,

Eric

Unfortunately when the snow level rises in Whistler, the prices have a tendency to do the same.

The oyster special at the Bearfoot Bistro is the only one going that I know of.

A lot of places here make 70% or more of their annual income in the next 4 months and of course, they want to maximize their profits.

I will hunt around but there are a few places here where the prices are reasonable all year round and the food is good and the portions are healthy.

1. Elements (Summit Lodge) I have mentioned this place in another thread here but it is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and serves breakfast till 3:00 p.m.

It is a nice cozy spot and has a good but small wine list and is worth checking out.

Their kitchen is open till 12:00 a.m., which is rare for Whistler and is a great late nite choice for a snack.

2. Wildwood Pacific Bistro (Whistler Racquet Club, near Marketplace) Great locals place open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

3. Carumba (Village) is also a good place for lunch or dinner.

4. Les Gros (West Side road) Pascal does a fantastic job in this cozy place and the food is fantastic and so are his prices. A bit out of the village but definetly worth the trip.

Here are a few to help you out and you can also ask any local as we are all in the tourist business in one form or the other and are very helpful.

Have a good time

Hope this helps

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

• 1 month later...

My wife and I just experienced our first meal at Après. Wow! It was probably the best dinner I've ever had in the Pacific NW (I live in Seattle). The foie gras trilogy was mind-blowing. We wanted to order everything on the menu. If you like creative European-style cuisine, get there immediately. This chef deserves much more fame than he's got, and I'm sure it will come.

A few other noteworthy but less stellar experiences:

- Sushi Village (in the village) has superb sushi as well as cooked food. Ask for a tatami room if you've got at least 4 people; these are perfect with kids. Someone said that the Sacha Sushi, a new place in Village North, is slightly better, although we didn't try it.

- We tried 2 longstanding places in the village for the first time that are great for kids and not bad for adults (but I wouldn't bother if we didn't have kids). Mongolie Grill is an invent-your-own-stir-fry place that's better than the other place of this genre I once tried in Seattle. And the kids loved it. And it's cheap. Teppan Village is a Japanese steak house like Benihana; the steak and lobster were excellent, the chicken and salmon just so-so. Kind of expensive.

- Finally, en route between Seattle and Whistler we've become satisfied repeat diners at Westview Oriental Restaurant in North Vancouver. There's better food (Chinese and otherwise) in Vancouver, but if you're bypassing the city and taking Rt 1, skip all the fast food chains and take exit 17, go north to the first light, and turn left into the shopping center with this restaurant. They serve perhaps 20 types of dim sum to order as well as a long menu of other Chinese dishes. It's all very good. (I welcome other casual dining suggestions along Rt 1 between Langley and Horsheshoe Bay.)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm headed up to Whistler (from Seattle) on short notice tomorrow. I just learned that a friend who lives in Singapore will be up in Whistler for a while. I'd love to hear some recommendations from visitors/locals or anyone else familiar with the area.

In particular, I am looking for:

- a great coffee shop, or at least a place to get a good Espresso

- somewhere to have a lively, entertaining, casual meal on Saturday night. Cuisine is not so important as a good atmosphere, great food. Preferably not a chain.

- a good pub for lunch on Sunday

But, basically any recommendations would be useful. We are all adults, so kid-friendly is not important in our case.

Thanks much,

Robin

edited for clarity

edited again for spelling

Edited by crouching tyler (log)

Robin Tyler McWaters

Try Behind the Grind for coffee, but remember that Whistler isn't that sophisticated for coffee(we have 3 starbucks!). All directions in the village begin with ' turn left at starbucks...' If you like sushi, Sachi sushi or Sushi Village are good, neither take reso's so go early or be prepared to wait. Carumba or Ric's Grill are good too. There are a lot of different restaurants here, and I can't think of any that I would particularly avoid.

Crepe Montage might be nice for your casual meal. I recently checked the bar menu at BearFoot Bistro and it looked great, but too bad the site is under construction right now. They have an oyster special from 3-6pm if you can make it--a dozen for $9.95, I believe. And I remember they had things like Kobe beef tartare (or was it a burger?) and a foie gras dish at the bar.

I'm heading up there next Friday! So excited!

Maybe Oyster Guy will chime in, but last time I was at Bearfoot back in October, the steak (AAA IIRC) and fries was $20 at the bar, mussels and fries $15.

There are a bunch of good local recommendations in another thread, check out the Best Of thread for links or search the forum for Whistler.

So I checked the Best Of thread, and there are no Whistler links. However searching for Whistler lead me to this thread: LINK. And another: LINK 2. I know Daddy-A's a busy man but maybe one day he might tape all these together into a large Whistler clump.

So I checked the Best Of thread, and there are no Whistler links.  However searching for Whistler lead me to this thread: LINK. And another: LINK 2. I know Daddy-A's a busy man but maybe one day he might tape all these together into a large Whistler clump.

Never too busy for you BC! :wacko:

A.

Thanks so much for putting this all in one spot. I'd thought I'd looked around sufficiently to determine there wasn't a thread that answered my question, but I was clearly wrong.

I will get to Whistler armed with restaurant recommendations - which is my favorite way to enter any new food territory.

My friends will probably be delighted with all the Starbucks, but perhaps I can convince them to give something else a shot at Behind the Grind. Sounds like there is good food to be found as well - and no shortage of steak and oysters apparently. Too bad I am allergic to oysters, and will have to eat steak instead.

Robin Tyler McWaters

Thanks so much for putting this all in one spot. I'd thought I'd looked around sufficiently to determine there wasn't a thread that answered my question, but I was clearly wrong.

I will get to Whistler armed with restaurant recommendations - which is my favorite way to enter any new food territory.

My friends will probably be delighted with all the Starbucks, but perhaps I can convince them to give something else a shot at Behind the Grind. Sounds like there is good food to be found as well - and no shortage of steak and oysters apparently. Too bad I am allergic to oysters, and will have to eat steak instead.

I also suggest Behind the Grind rather than Starbuck's. It has a nice warm feel and is very non-corporate yet professional.

Chris the owner is a genuinely nice guy and his prices are cheaper than Starbuck's

(They raised their prices and stated it was to cover the high rents in town. Chris also pays the same high rent yet refused to raise his prices)

It is too bad you can't eat oysters. :sad:

But......

I suggest you give Elements in the Summit Lodge on Main Street a try.

(See my earlier threads for more info)

The Bearfoot has a casual dining side that is comparable in pricing to many chain restaurants and the food is soooooo much better.

A good pub for lunch is the Cinnamon Bear Bar in the Hilton.

A longtime locals favourite and great food and very comfortable leather chairs and a roaring fire. I think you would enjoy it. :biggrin:

Anyways, I hope that you have a good time in our little town and enjoy yourself!

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Edited by Oyster Guy (log)

Eleanor Clark

• 3 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure they are open all week, during the winter I don't think any restaurant isn't open 7 days. Sachi is on Main street, in the Summit Lodge. Lunch is good there too. The room is on the small side, so get there early.

Carumba's is a family friendly place and would be fine for you and your kids.

It is reasonably priced and used to handling groups your size.

But I would try Sachi Sushi while in town.

Keep on shucking

Oyster Guy

Eleanor Clark