• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kosher Kollard Greens

Al_Dente

Al--

How did the collards work out?  Successful?

Indeed they were. The smoked turkey leg suggestion was just the thing. Once the greens were sufficiently tender, I took out the legs before dinner and those of us who were cooking snacked on the delicious meat.

Might have been the best collard greens I ever had!!! Certainly best I ever made.

eGullet works wonders again...

Al

PS-- I was running a little low on home made stock, so I reached for a box of chicken broth in my fridge. As I poured some of it into the pot, I wondered "why is this cloudy and off-white?" Yep, I poured about 1/4 cup of soy milk into the collard greens before I stopped. Who knows? Maybe that's why they were so good. :raz: I guess that's what you get for cooking whilst hung-over at 7am.

Edited by Al_Dente (log)

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

PS-- I was running a little low on home made stock, so I reached for a box of chicken broth in my fridge. As I poured some of it into the pot, I wondered "why is this cloudy and off-white?" Yep, I poured about 1/4 cup of soy milk into the collard greens before I stopped. Who knows? Maybe that's why they were so good.  :raz: I guess that's what you get for cooking whilst hung-over at 7am.

Well in that case you're going to have to try making them again with turkey legs. Maybe two pots? One with just stock and the other with the combo and let us know what your master recipe is.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

But here is another recipe question for the Kosher Kontingent:

is there anything to substitute for evaporated milk?

I have a great dairy pumpkin pie that uses it, but I can't imagine what to substitute that would be as good.

This may be too late for this year, but try it next year: canned coconut milk. It's just coconut and water. Use the regular kind (not the "lite"). Rich, and it will give an extra flavor people will love (unless they hate coconut :raz: ). I used coconut milk in my mashed sweet potatoes the year I had to make a kosher T-day dinner, and everyone loved them.

. . . PS-- I was running a little low on home made stock, so I reached for a box of chicken broth in my fridge. As I poured some of it into the pot, I wondered "why is this cloudy and off-white?" Yep, I poured about 1/4 cup of soy milk into the collard greens before I stopped. Who knows? Maybe that's why they were so good.  :raz: I guess that's what you get for cooking whilst hung-over at 7am.

Oops. Kind of the reverse of what I posted on the "I Will Never Again. . ." thread, when HWOE mistook a carton of chicken broth for one of milk, and proceeded to turn his bowl of cereal fleischag. Yeah, well, it was early in the morning too. :laugh:

I've used lots of chopped-up Empire smoked turkey lunch meat.  :blush:  Along with sauteed onion and a little bit of hot pepper flakes and vinegar. Tasted all right to me, and I usually use smoked hock stock when it's just us without my beloved Aunt Bette who keeps kosher.

Yep same here when one of my cousins who keeps kosher was in town.

:raz: Of course the next night I took them to one of our local steak houses that was not kosher. The happily ate the prime. :laugh:

Never trust a skinny chef

I've used lots of chopped-up Empire smoked turkey lunch meat.  :blush:  Along with sauteed onion and a little bit of hot pepper flakes and vinegar. Tasted all right to me, and I usually use smoked hock stock when it's just us without my beloved Aunt Bette who keeps kosher.

Yep same here when one of my cousins who keeps kosher was in town.

Also use smoked salt and some extra Garlic.

:raz: Of course the next night I took them to one of our local steak houses that was not kosher. The happily ate the prime. :laugh:

edited for content

Never trust a skinny chef

I don't know a thing about Kosher, being a Southern DAR girl. But I do know greens for the aforementioned reason, and I know that you can buy sliced smoked turkey legs (bones and all) at the "Soul Food" Safeway on the corner of Georgia and Piney Branch just over the Takoma Park MD/DC line. High cholesterol has forced me to improvise....

Al -- you might know this already, but your best bet for finding the smoked turkey leg will be at one of the kosher markets in Silver Spring.

This is good-- VERY good. I work in Silver Spring. But, alas, I don't know where the kosher markets are. :sad:

But I'll find them! Great idea on the turkey leg folks-- perfect, in fact!

Damn, Suzanne, you always get me with those weebls! Bring them on, as well as the Viking Kitties. My cat and rabbit look eggzacly like them!!

I wish someone would find that thread about the Rules For Eating, the one that was like scriptures. I have part of it still in mind---"And if you try to deceive by moving the potatoes or peas around with your fork, that it may appear you have eaten what you have not, you will fall into iniquity."

I love the word iniquity. Back when I was a rebellious hippie, a friend in Castro Valley, California had a shop called the Den Of Iniquity, being Mostly a BEAD Store. Circa 1968.