• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Turkey confit

iamthestretch

Tamales and quesadillas.

Include the turkey in a salad with spring greens, walnuts, dried cranberries, apples and crumbled blue cheese.

Top sliced, marinated beets, avocado, red onions and pine nuts with it.

Use it in a stuffing for winter squash, artichokes, mushrooms or cabbage rolls.

Shelley: Would you like some pie?

Gordon: MASSIVE, MASSIVE QUANTITIES AND A GLASS OF WATER, SWEETHEART. MY SOCKS ARE ON FIRE.

Twin Peaks

You can use a bechamel to good effect where some dreadful canned soup is specified, but I think you're going to be disappointed with this dish. It's sort of bubble and squeak-ish.

How about a dish with wild rice, dried cranberries, toasted nuts, fresh herbs - a sort of Thanksgiving play on ideas? I think the risotto sounds good too, especially with some Madeira to round out the turkey flavor, and maybe some good sauteed mushrooms.

• 1 year later...

We are having a smaller Thanksgiving this year, and the request is for a turley breast. SInce I ususally purchase a whole turkey, I am considering making confit with the thighs and/or legs. My normal routine is Paula Wolfert's crockpot confit for duck legs. Any reason why this wouldn't work with turley? I have duck fat on hand for this concept :rolleyes: but do I want any other embellishments? Thanks in advance for advice.

Just use the same method as for duck confit and allwo more time. Last year to simplify christmas(since I was hosting and there is no way I was going to spend 5hrs roasting a turkey) I confit the legs and roasted the breast solo, not only did this ensure the breast was perfectly cooked and still juicy but normally there aren't many takers for the brown meat, the confit converted many people that year as well. go for it .

We are having a smaller Thanksgiving this year, and the  request is for a turley breast.  SInce I ususally purchase a whole turkey, I am considering making confit with the thighs and/or legs. My normal routine is Paula Wolfert's crockpot confit for duck legs. Any reason why this wouldn't work with turley? I have duck fat on hand for this concept :rolleyes: but do I want any other embellishments? Thanks in advance for advice.

Wonderful idea! And way cheaper than duck legs. I am going to do that soon. By the way, try Lora Brody's "Slow Cooker Cooking". Very much inspired by French tastes.

Ray