• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Chocolate Desserts" by Pierre Herme (Part 1)

SethG

I really want to try the chocolate ice cream recipe, however it seems that all stores only carry non-fat dry milk (why is that BTW?). I cannot for the life of me find full fat versions. Has anyone who tried this recipe used the fat free dry milk or did you find the full fat version somehow?

For some reason, I see the full fat milk powder a lot in stores that sell Mexican products. Nestle makes one, I know.

I need to get back to Pierre. I've been lax.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

I really want to try the chocolate ice cream recipe, however it seems that all stores only carry non-fat dry milk (why is that BTW?). I cannot for the life of me find full fat versions. Has anyone who tried this recipe used the fat free dry milk or did you find the full fat version somehow?

For some reason, I see the full fat milk powder a lot in stores that sell Mexican products. Nestle makes one, I know.

I need to get back to Pierre. I've been lax.

Ah, you are right! Also middle eastern stores sell it. I cannot believe I forgot that. I think the brand is called Nido or Nedo.

Thanks

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Seth, you had a very good idea in creating this topic. I didn't have the time to read all the posts but I will.

Here is my little contribution. I tried the brownies and the macaroons.

gallery_21249_907_91688.jpg

gallery_21249_907_193707.jpg

gallery_21249_907_134406.jpg

The brownies were, I think, a little bit overcooked. I had a hard time to cut them to get a nice picture.

And I found the macaroons a little bit chewy at the base but they were good. I baked them 12 min.

I will be better the next time. :wink:

Edited by serge (log)

Ah, you are right! Also middle eastern stores sell it. I cannot believe I forgot that. I think the brand is called Nido or Nedo.

I was about to make fun of you for that, Elie :biggrin: Nido. You can also find these in Mexican and Indian groceries.

Just bought the book last week. So far I have only made the mousse (no brainer, but awesome.) Lots of easy recipes to try first, but I really want to work towards that spectacular puff pastry once my semester is over. Last year I would never have believed I could get into baking. Next thing you know I'm baking all our bread and now this. Gotta love eGullet.

Good job on the macaroons and brownies, Serge! Nice photos as well.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Thanks all for the comments.

Dorie, you're right, a macaroon is by definition a bit chewy. :smile:

In his book Secrets gourmands, Hermé uses also a convection oven to bake his macarons at a constant temperature of 284°F (140°C). Do you know if it makes any difference with a conventional oven ? And he uses egg whites that have been at room temperature for three days! Isn't it a bit surprising ?

Serge

Edited by serge (log)

Well, I finally got around to attempting the Plaisir Sucre (for my birthday treat!):

gallery_8338_183_326421.jpg

I tried to make it in a wedge shape to replicate the look of La Cerise sur le Gateau and even tried to "build" sheets of chocolate around it to give it a shell; but, alas, the results were not too great, so I just left it as is.

The different textural and flavour notes were very tasty, and, even with the abundance of chocolate, it wasn't overly sweet.

Happy Birthday, Lannie! With a Plaisir Sucre that looks as wonderful as yours, I'm sure it was a swell birthday.

Serge, I can't help with the convection oven question, although my guess would be that the macaroons bake more evenly with convecion. As for the egg whites that are left at room temperature for three days. You probably know that very fresh egg whites do not whip very well. To get the fullest volume out of whites, it's best if they are "old", at which point they are more liquidy, and at room temperature. I've found that in France, most people are not as concerned as Americans are about "killer" eggs, and those who are are even less concerned about whites than yolks.

I so envy you lannie. I've been wanting to make that since I got the book. Kudos.

I've been following the thread, but school and work have been keeping me overly busy and unable to contribute. But MIL's birthday is next week, so I suggested the Black Forest Cake (which I've also been waiting to make). I can't wait.

I'm also attempting a dessert from the pro book today/tomorrow. It'll be dessert for Easter.

Well, I finally got around to attempting the Plaisir Sucre (for my birthday treat!):

gallery_8338_183_326421.jpg

Good job, lannie!

Now, if only you could email me a bite of that thing. . .

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Happy Birthday, Lannie!  With a Plaisir Sucre that looks as wonderful as yours, I'm sure it was a swell birthday.

Dorie, thank you for the b-day wishes! It was indeed a very swell b-day, and, to top it all off, I also received a Kitchenaid mixer and a granite mortar and pestle - both items that I had been wanting for years!

I so envy you lannie. I've been wanting to make that since I got the book. Kudos.

kthull, have fun making the Black Forest Cake! BTW, the Plaisir Sucre took me a few hours to make the parts and assemble. I made the dacquoise the night before and did the rest the next morning. So, if you can find a spare few hours, go for it!

Good job, lannie!

Now, if only you could email me a bite of that thing. . .

Patrick, thank you for the kind comments. Wouldn't it be great if we could email bites of our creations? For now, it'll just have to be virtual bites for everybody! :laugh:

It has been awhile since my office has banned me from bringing in desserts.. I am going to make the Pave cake for them this evening.. I have the pans and ingrediants.. I am planning on making two.. Any tips or variations anyone think i should try on the second cake?

Edited by Daniel (log)

It has been awhile since my office has banned me from bringing in desserts.. I am going to make the Pave cake for them this evening.. I have the pans and ingrediants.. I am planning on making two.. Any tips or variations anyone think i should try on the second cake?

Huh...I wish I have co-workers who bring Paves to work :hmmm: . Well, Herme has two variations, do one of each.

Elie

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

Yeh. i have a strong adversion to fruits and chocolate.. I am also going ganche cover on both..

Does this mean you plan to leave out the apricots? I'd counsel you to put them in. They add more texture than flavor. I don't think you'll find them offensive. Leaving them out means taking the dessert down a level of sophistication, although it will still be great!

I should have added that my spouse shares your feelings about fruits & chocolate, Daniel, and she had no trouble with the Pave.

I just made the Korova cookies (Paris Sweets, link is upthread thanks to Seth) as a test for what I'll bring to the school cookie bake-off. They are incredible. I strongly urge all of you to try them. I'll let you know if I win or not...the contest is Monday (no idea when results will be in).

On a sadder note, I won't get the chance to make the Black Forest Cake this weekend. We're going out to eat instead.

I tried the Korova cookies last night. They are good. They're the best sable cookie I've tried (which is not a whole lot, since I usually prefer chewey to sandy). I love the texture contrast between the chocolate chunks and the cookie.

gallery_23736_355_27068.jpg

Patrick, I love the pictures you post -- thank you for taking the time to do this. The Korovas look perfect. Looks like you used chocolate chips -- did you? I always hate to choose a favorite anything, but I think these just might be my favorite cookies. I think the texture, the play of cocoa and chocolate, and the flavor of salt are an exceptional combination. I'm so glad you and kthull are now converts.

Excellent work as always, Patrick.

I finally got an ice cream machine. I'll be tackling the chocolate ice cream soon, and I also plan to hit the strawberry and (especially) the creme brulee ice cream in DBPH.

Edited to add: credit where credit's due-- it was redfox back at post #212 who first mentioned the Korova cookies on this thread. That post sent me to my copy of Paris Sweets to check them out.

Edited by SethG (log)

Awesome snap Patrick. Looks like you came into my house and stole some of my cookies! I used chopped TJ's Pound Plus Bittersweet. Dorie, you were not kidding in your description in the recipe about eating the whole batch. My fingers are still crossed...no results posted at school this evening, and I'm not back there until Wednesday, so I'll have to wait until then to see how they fared against the competition.