• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Favorite Malt Liquor

stephenc

Hurricane. Surprisingly smooth. Good kick afterwards, though they don't quite give you the "fuzz" of St Ides or Colt 45. I'd give it big props for offering both small mouth and the god awful big mouth versions.

For $1.50-$1.75/40 oz, there's no better deal in America than the Slurricane.

hurricanemaltbottle.jpg

In Canada, during a ski trip last winter, our group became addicted to these forties called Labatt Wildcats. We were completely amazed that they were even rated by strength, so that some of the girls or weaker drinkers could stick to the lower alcohol grades, such as wildcat strong force or wildcat sevens (if they felt like partying). The big-time drinkers stepped right up to the wildcat tens.

I wish they had these in the States. Refeshing, and easy on the wallet.

labattwcs.jpglabattwcf7.jpglabattwcf8.jpglabattwcf10.jpg

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Midas Touch by DogFishHead Breweries. It is one of the only microbrew malt liquors I know of, but it is good stuff.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Ah, that is what I was thinking of, not Midas Touch... hmmm, Midas Touch must be one of the other specialty brews.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

I was a big fan of the OE back in college 6 years ago.  I really became turned off after they went with the wide mouths.. It added to much air into your stomache during the jugging process.

I haven't had a 40 of OE in long time...didn't know they wide mouths now. Actually, I don't plan on having anymore 40s. :raz:

That was a GREAT POST!!!

What’s more impressive is how you had the same shirt on in all the restaurants and didn’t seem to get a spot on it from all that eating .  :biggrin:

Different shirts jerko. Hehe. And more then a lot of stains. I was dipping the catfish from charolette into the bbq sauce on my sleeve from texas.. hehe.

During the lean times in college.

A dollar big mac = $1 , 1 marlboro = .25 cents, one OE forty = $1.49. Getting drunk and full for under three bucks. Priceless.

If you mention Dogfish Head, then you have to suggest Liquor de Malt!

And I might add, DFH Liquor de Malt pairs beautifully with Malaysian (and probably Thai and Indian) food very well!

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Forties? Forties are for wussies. Real malt liquor drinkers prefer Haffenreffer's Private Stock in the 64 oz. jug, complete with handy thumb loop to prevent accidental droppage. A most important feature as you get to the bottom of the bottle. Back in my forty-drinkin' college days we would get Magnums by the case: $13.67 with tax, if I remember correctly. Occasionally we'd spring for Crazy Horse, but it just wasn't the same after they switched to their less-politically-incorrect bottle design.

DFH Liquor de Malt is a fine product, but I just can't choke it down like back in the old days. Too bad, as I have half a case sitting around somewhere. My more reserved friends won't touch the stuff. They truly don't know what they're missing.

• 2 weeks later...

dude singha totally doesn't count. it tastes good.

as for me, i gave up on 40s when i got out of college and got a regular job. it was a resolution i made: now that i have a salary, i'm not drinking any more 40s. but back then, well, let's let n.w.a. spell it out for us:

i don't drink brass monkey

like to get funky

my name's easy e, yo eight ball junky.