• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Creme de Menthe

Niall

We inherited a bottle of creme de menthe at a cocktail party we had about a year ago. I say inherited because the bottle looks rather old as if it has seen quite a few parties without ever being opened. 2 questions:

1: Does it ever go off? And if it does how do I tell if it has?

2: If it doesn't go off, what are your favourite Cocktail recipes?

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

Oooo - creme de menthe is a hard one. It's one of those drinks that tends to get left to kids and other people who prefer their drinks on the sweet & gulpable side.

The big questions is - is your creme de menthe white or green? If it's green, there's not a lot you can do other than corrupt a bunch of high schoolers. White creme de menthe, on the other hand, DOES have a good cocktail use - it's a key ingredient in the Stinger.

Miss J

Ditto on the Stinger.  One of the best after-dinner drinks in the universe.  I've seen a lot of people use a mix of 2/3 brandy and 1/3 Creme de Menthe, from what I've seen, but Miss J's reference seems to have about half as much Creme de Menthe as that.  Fair enough.

Green Creme de Menthe?  Throw it away.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

I'm afraid it's green. It may have to be a donation to the local Rugby club...

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

• 2 months later...

I have a bottle of white Creme de Menthe and make Vodka stingers as opposed to regular Stingers - never know which Brandy to buy... love my Vodka...

I recently purchase a liquor though, call Chocolate Cookie - which sounds horrible and is delicous.

If you add a ratio a 2 - 1 (2 Choc chip cookie - 1 CDM) you end up with a wonderful drink which tastes like Girl Scout Thin Mint cookies - yum yum.

Cindy G

“Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon.”

~ Doug Larson ~

Ack. This stuff was used to make kind of cheesecakes with a chocolate crust when I was a kidling by a cruel mother. Toothpaste pie.

It burns purty though. :raz:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I'm afraid I do prefer my drinks quite sweet… but one that comes to mind is Alexander's sister: gin, green Crème de Menthe and heavy cream, shaken with ice. However, I've used green Crème the Menthe to flavor mint chocolate mousse or chocolate mint ice cream. The green color does not matter if the mousse/ice cream is dark enough, that is, if you use enough chocolate… I've also used it to flavor hot cocoa, but that it a very sweet drink - if you can call it a drink… but it was quite wonderful on cold winter nights.  :smile:

Cindy, believe it or not, your chocolate and mint drink is called a "Thin Mint" in many places - in other places, especially when served as a shooter, it's known as a "Dirty Girl Scout."  Tia Maria or Godiva can be substituted for your chocolate cookie liqueur.

I do have creme de cacao... I'll give it a go..

- Frank Zappa