• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tart Pan

Della

I'm heading to Williams Sonoma tomorrow to buy a tart pan...and I seem to remember hearing something about the darker "burnished" finish is superior to the typical shiny silver finish.

Anyone have an opinion?

Thank you

Della

I'm heading to Williams Sonoma tomorrow to buy a tart pan...and I seem to remember hearing something about the darker "burnished" finish is superior to the typical shiny silver finish. 

Anyone have an opinion?

Thank you

Della

If you are talking about what I think you are, the 'darker" finish is typical of a non-stick finish, which I feel is better. They are more expensive then the silver finish, but worth it in my opinion.

HTH,

Jason

If you are talking about what I think you are, the 'darker" finish is typical of a non-stick finish, which I feel is better. They are more expensive then the silver finish, but worth it in my opinion.

I have some dark tart pans which I like (the darkness helps the pastry get done at the the same time as the filling), but they aren't non-stick. They're made out of some especially-prone-to-rusting steel which has to be carefully dried before putting away. You can just let it sit in a warm oven for a while after washing.

I have the shiny kind and have never had a problem with them. My crusts usually have enough butter in them that releasing isn't a problem either - no need for Pam or buttering the pan.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries