• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chicken soup

I have been disappointed by restaurant chicken soup so many times I don't even have hope anymore.

My favorite basic chicken noodle soup recipe is from the Cook's Illustrated cookbook "The Best Recipe." I also make a delicious spicy chicken soup with roasted poblanos and serranos (or whatever kind I have), peppers, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, lime, garlic, chicken, stock and whatever else I feel like adding. I think I originally based this on the tortilla soup from the Coyote Cafe cookbook but over the years it has really morphed into something else entirely. If either of these sound interesting let me know and I'll elaborate.

I could tell you where to get good Pho or Udon, but I usually don't go out for soup. There is Nana's Soup House on Ne 55th St, and Soup Daddy's on Occidental, but I can't vouch for either.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

if you don't mind a few matzoh balls swimming in your soup :biggrin: then go to Kosher Delight deli on First Ave at the Market. They have lovely rich chickeny soup. I've seen him straining the broth and can vouch that it is made from genuine chickens.

mmm matzoh ball soup :wub:

Eden

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

There's a place called Soups! (their exclamation point) in the lobby level of the City Centre building that actually makes pretty decent chicken noodle soup. Thier noodles are nice and thick.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

• 1 month later...
What about your fav. chicken soup recipes?

It's probably pretty similar to the Best Recipes version, but I make Pam Anderson's chicken soup out of The Perfect Recipe, then put dumplings on top instead of noodles. The recipe is simple, practically bulletproof, and makes for awesome leftovers when cooked for two.

c

i play the rock. you shake the booty.

What about your fav. chicken soup recipes?

I actually just made a pot of chicken soup/stew last weekend, and I wrote about it here. It's nothing flashy, but it's kept me happy and warm for several days now, especially when it's ladled over a thick slice of grilled or toasted bread. :wub:

She blogs: Orangette