• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Rum

Ed Hamilton

I just receieved this recipe in an email from my friends at Sea Wynde Rum, I sounded pretty good and got me thinking, how else do you enjoy hot rum?

I'm going to be spending a lot of the winter above the 19th parallel this year and I've got to find some new hot drinks to keep me warm.

Wynter Wynde

1 -1/2 oz Sea Wynde Rum

1 tbs maple syrup

Fill a coffee mug with boiling water and the other ingredients.

Stir with a cinnamon stick.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Hmmm, I enjoy hot buttered rum, but the addition of water always turned me off. I have found I prefer the taste much more when it is just rum filled halfway up a much, a stick of cinnamon, a bit of splenda, and then simmering cream poured in and stirred till it blends together. Oh, and of course the requisite pat of butter melted into the top.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Hot buttered rum is a favourite of mine, too, but I can't say the cream idea appeals to me...seems a bit much. Not that "a bit much" is necessarily bad, you understand, but I'm used to the other.

I tend to play around with my ingredients. I've made hot buttered rum with jaggery (Indian sugar) which gave it an exceptional flavour. I've also used a thin slice of fresh ginger, occasionally. Other spices I've used in varying combinations would include coriander, cardamom, allspice, and toasted fenugreek (methi) seeds; this last because I thought their offbeat combination of bitterness and butterscotch would be rather interesting in a rum drink. I rather liked the result.

My other favourite thing with hot rum is to go fruit-based. Either a slice of lemon and some orange zest, some simmered cranberries or a decoction of tamarind pulp; all of these go well with rum and honey and warm spices. Lately I've been gifted with a huge quantity of high-grade saffron, so I've been grinding that in my mortar and pestle and adding it to my hot drinks. The earthiness of the saffron and the aromatic fragrance of the rum complement each other beautifully, in my opinion.

I'm from the Maritimes; once summer's over it's rum season!

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I've had good luck with using hot apple cider instead of hot water for hot rum drinks. With the right cider, it really hits the spot. I've done this with a number of off-the-shelf buttered rum / rum toddy recipes and had good luck.

If you're *really* lazy, hot cider and a spiced rum tends to give you an instant poor-man's hot rum drink that's pretty darned good. Foursquare with a little Goslings black rum seems to work well for me.. the cider is sweet enough, you don't need anything that's *too* sweet (which lots of spiced rums seem to be).

- Jeff

I have to agree that water isn't my favorite mixer. Hot cider is really good and gets my vote. I've used a powered cider mix on my boat, when I didn't have anything else, and there was snow in the deck Christmas eve, in Florida. A few days later I weighed anchor and headed south.

Foursquare doesn't add any sugar to their spiced rum, so it makes a very versatile mixing rum. I also like it with a little ginger ale and ice.

And there's nothing like a little ginger in a rum drink.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.