• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wednesday night before Thanksgiving

8Track

This is a tricky one.

My aging parents are coming into town on Wednesday evening. They are, as we are, somewhat tense about the whole thing. Long story, but suffice it to say that we could use Kissinger at the table. Here's the guest list:

My wife and me, and our two small kids who are well behaved, but who can only sit still for so long and who have limited food preferences (and a little baby)

One older brother who's a crazy maverick, but a nice guy.

Two parents, 77 and 65. Dad is not terribly adventurous with the palate. Mom a little more so. These are northeasterner, Republican, WASPY folk, so they at least know what good food is, even if they don't eat it.

The good news, everyone drinks. Well, except the kids of course. And we'll need a lot of that to break the ice.

We live on the Hill, so I'd rather not schlep up to upper NW or into Virginia.

So where would you bring a group like this. It can't be too fancy or stuffy, because my parents will be embarrassed if we spend a lot. Someplace noisy and informal seems right. Not a hole in the wall though. La tasca, maybe?

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Montmarte? Though I wonder how kid friendly they are.

How bout Trattoria Alberto's on Barrack's Row. It's nothing exceptional by any means, but they serve good familiar Italian fare.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Curses -- here's my post that didn't get in early enough. Fools never differ, I guess.

Montmartre? You'd probably have to go early to get in with seven, but since the kids are coming maybe that's not such a bad idea anyway. Or one of the big round tables up at the front of the Les Halles on Pennsylvania Ave? Tapas can get complicated with a lot of people and rumor has it La Tasca sucks.

"Mine goes off like a rocket." -- Tom Sietsema, Washington Post, Feb. 16.

Curses -- here's my post that didn't get in early enough. Fools never differ, I guess.

Montmartre? You'd probably have to go early to get in with seven, but since the kids are coming maybe that's not such a bad idea anyway. Or one of the big round tables up at the front of the Les Halles on Pennsylvania Ave? Tapas can get complicated with a lot of people and rumor has it La Tasca sucks.

Rumor is correct.

peak performance is predicated on proper pan preparation...

-- A.B.

Take them to 1789 for some Nantucket scallops or some oyster stew...

PS: on second thought, not as casual as you're maybe looking for (i should try reading one day ). But good place for future (Republican, WASPY folks should like)

Edited by morela (log)

Put La Tasca in the "never" category. But if you're considering tapas in the Penn Quarter vicinity, try Jaleo. Great drinking (and oh yeah, eating) to be done there, IMHO.

I also did an OpenTable.com search for that night, party of 7, in DC which turned up some nice (and not-so-nice) ideas including Corduroy, Firefly, Poste, Tosca and well...go there and find out.

I might take a beating for suggesting this...but....the Old Ebbit Grill would meet your finky parents, maverik brother, and kids requirement.  Afterwards you can take the folks over to the White House and they can wave at George and Laura.

I thought about Old Ebbitt, although they are kind of a zoo. Les Halles seems like a good idea. My Dad is big on steaks.

Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

Montmarte? Though I wonder how kid friendly they are.

How bout Trattoria Alberto's on Barrack's Row. It's nothing exceptional by any means, but they serve good familiar Italian fare.

Montmartre? You'd probably have to go early to get in with seven, but since the kids are coming maybe that's not such a bad idea anyway.

While I know the suggestion of Montmartre sounds like a good idea to them, neither of these men have children. Stretch will see the error in this idea in about 3-4 months. If it was the summer and you could sit outside, then maybe.

I second the Trattoria Alberto's recommendation. Good, simple Italian food. It was my parent's go to restaurant when I was little. The food won't blow anyone away, but it is close and can handle the kids.

I also second the Old Ebbit suggestion if you can get a reservation. The place gets much calmer when you get further back into the place near the building courtyard.

There is also the El Salvadoran place across the street from Trattoria. Good strong drinks, kid friendly. Go early enough and you may have the place to yourself.

True Heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic.

It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost,

but the urge to serve others at whatever cost. -Arthur Ashe