• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Temps au Temps in Paris 11e

zoeadler

Hi,

Just wanted to share a little experience I recently had in a lovely new restaurant that has been open in Paris for the past few weeks. It tiny and not high end like Ducasse et al. but it is a wonderful warm experience and a lovely little place that I can imagine will be doing quite well in the future so book ahead. It's sort of like C'Amelot for those of you who know that place, but a much warmer atmosphere and friendlier service...and more a bit more inventive cuisine.

We went there on a fluke after having read a review in Zurban - our local Time Out-like magazine. It's on a tiny street not too far from Bastille called Rue Paul Bert. They were totally booked - they probably have 10 tables - so we agreed to be seated at the bar (which was SO nice, 4 places and you talk to the owner). The restaurant is owned by a couple in their late 20's early 30's...she is a gracious hostess and he is the chef. They also have a love affair with food - the walls are decorated by portraits of their favorite chefs - Ducasse, the guy with the hat that grows his own herbs...I forget his name. I didn't ask, but wouldn't be surprised if he was trained by one of the biggies. In any case they are darling and you really feel their appreciation for the great chefs. That particular night we had the foie gras terrine with a confit of mangos on the side (very delicious) and a tartare of coquilles st. jacques. Then the coquilles st. jacques cooked and served with caramelized leeks and endives that was AMAZING. Boyfriend had the leg of lamb and puree potatoes...amazing. Desert was an out of this world tarte tatin with spiced ice cream and a cafe/chocolate ganache. So I guess it's sort of taking the classics but each has a slight twist or certain ingredient that makes it just a bit less traditonal.

So I've put the address below, I doubt it's in Zagats and I'm not sure if Francois Simon reviewed it yet, but it's really worth the trip to meet the owners and to discover a new little up and comer in Paris. Good luck!!

Le Temps au Temps

13 r Paul Bert 75011 PARIS

01 43 79 63 40

Our meal ended up costing about 100 euros - with a few glasses of wine and bottled water. We did appetizers, mains and desserts. I did see on the menu though there was a "menu" for 25 euros...I'd assume it was for an appetizer and main...although we didn't ask.

Also, after looking over the posts for the past few months, I must say that John Talbott beat me to the scoop. He's eaten there as well. It's really a darling little place with lovely owners. For those NYers on the board it sort of reminded me of the Tasting Room on 1st street - a bit less "trendy" and definately more laid back french style, but the love of food and the couple running the restaurant made me think of that place.

I couldn't agree more; we ate there October 29th and loved it. Zurban is the place to look for new finds thanks to Sebastien Demorand.

PS Across the street is a great Oyster place that has incomparable Utah Beach oysters; it's the offshoot of Bistrot Paul Bert; great for a few before going to Temps

au Temps - that's courtesy of eGulleteer Zouave.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 3 years later...

Figaroscope's article mentions that great and talented couple running Le Temps au Temps have given it over to someone else. This had become my favorite resto and am devastated to hear this, although the promise is that it will "not change". Can this possible be the case with a new chef? At least my favorite dessert remains, according to Figaroscope.

Has anybody tried it since mid-JAnuary? Any reports?

I don't mean to be a tease, but most of you know I post my reviews en bloc and to avoid double posting, I will be putting up Feb 08bis in a few days. Of, course I'd be delighted if other members tried TauT out - but our bottom line today was that it was a nice bistrot du quartier, no less, no more, not the destination it was several years ago. More to follow.

John Talbott

our bottom line today was that it was a nice bistrot du quartier, no less, no more, not the destination it was several years ago.  More to follow.

I'm sorry to hear it, but will be interested in the details. By the way, when was your last previous visit? I haven't been there since October, when I felt it was still very special.

our bottom line today was that it was a nice bistrot du quartier, no less, no more, not the destination it was several years ago.  More to follow.

I'm sorry to hear it, but will be interested in the details. By the way, when was your last previous visit? I haven't been there since October, when I felt it was still very special.

I must confess it's been a while; I went several times after it opened but somehow, as is usual with me d/t my fickleness, I moved on to other places, not necessarily because anything was wrong but ADHA made me do it.

I will be posting the details Saturday AM Paris time I'm sure but no need to hold your breath; go and see for yourself!

Res ipsa loquitur.

John Talbott